NOW SELLING - The LionHeart

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
UPDATE 9-21:

Not much to update, still waiting on the Fast Track bodies from the CNC shop. But just to keep you entertained here is another picture of size reference for the size reference-challenged:

LH%20E1%20McLux%20Line.jpg

UPDATE 9-11-04:

THERE IS NOW A WAY TO GET YOUR LIONHEART SOONER AS WELL AS SAVE ANOTHER $11. SEE HERE FOR COMPLETE INFORMATION.

UPDATE 9-7-04:

The machine shop doing our LionHearts has been having problems with the anodizers (same shop doing the VIP accessories like the 2AA tubes, twisties and BBH, which are all STILL at that anodizing place!) so they have wisely sourced another outfit which they have used in the past and are a little more speedy. Still it is going to be four to six weeks out from TODAY due to the switch. Once all 1,500 separate parts are made (each LionHeart is comprised of three major body components - did I say this somewhere below already? - times five hundred total units) they get sent to the New anodizers, then they are sent to another place to get the laser etching of the LionHeart logo, then they get sent to me. But not to worry, once they are sent to me they will be thrown together (oops, bad choice of words), er, carefully assembled right quick and the first units should still be shipping in the two month time frame I have been estimating. I know I've enjoyed a reputation for "on-time or earlier" delivery in the past, but y'all may have to bear with me this time around as this is my most ambitious project to date, both volume- and feature-wise, not to mention a specialized logo (finally!) and it looks like deliveries will only be "on-time" this time around...(*sob*).

Thank You for your kind continued patience and understanding. I promise that once you get your LionHeart in your hands, it will all indeed be worth it (I have really GOT to think about setting up a part-time factory pretty soon. Of course the original HAT members will all be promoted to front line supervisors...). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

UPDATE 8-31-04:

I just found out that during the anodizing process, the LionHeart's battery tube - plus certain other areas like the ground wire hole and of course the threads - can be plated internally with the vaunted "Allodyne" finish for corrosion protection & excellent grounding. It was suggested by the CNC shop as an alternate way (instead of the traditional masking process) to ensure non-anodizing of certain areas where conductivity is critical to electronical operation.

Although this will not affect the LionHeart's functionality either way, I think I will go ahead with it on the units that are to be HA3'd. For peace of mind, for the beauty of the golden Allodyne tint - it matches nicely with the muted gold color of the anode contact rivet on the LH board, rather than a plain solder blob like on the VIP (see below) - and just for the heck of it. The best part? NO extra cost!

Rivets.jpg

UPDATE 8-29-04:

Here is a picture of some of the "Hearts" that will go into our Lions...

LH%20Boards.jpg

Oh, dang! Forgot about Raggie's fund! Make it $4 as long as all 57 people come through (and you'll get yore lights Last if'n ya don't!), there will still be a little shortfall after the Paypal fees but I'll cover it anyway since I want to contribute as well (can't be letting you guys have All the fun!).

FINAL Update 8-26-04:

Okay, everything has tested out satisfactorily and a few pictures and comments follow. Also at the end of this update I will announce commencement of preorders as well as tell ya what the "Bonus Feature/s" are (yes, there are More than one).

First off I found the perfect companion against which to compare the LionHeart:

LH%20Line.jpg

Couple of explanations here - there were many other lights against which I could have compared the LionHeart, but I chose not to for various reasons, some of them obvious and some not. The main reasons were that it seems most modders don't appreciate head to head shootouts, especially if their lights are outperformed (hey I would be too!), and I admit I have been guilty of doing that once or twice in the past and won't do it here (we be all one big happy family, right?). Second reason is that the VIP has already been shown to outperform most all other lights in its size class and is a known value, so it should give everyone a clear idea of what the LionHeart is about if it simply keeps up with the VIP - and this is the VIP with the BulkHead.

From a couple feet away against my baseboard (both on High):

LH%20Beam%20Close.jpg

Because of my non-adjustable digital camera they do appear to be about the same brightness, although if you concentrate real hard and wish over and over under your breath (as I did) it begins to appear the LH's beam on the right is a little brighter.

Now here they are 20 feet up on my living room ceiling:

LH%20Beam%20Far.jpg

The difference is beginning to show - not only is the LH a little brighter, but the hotspot is larger, with a slightly smaller yet brighter and more tightly controlled corona (not visible in this picture as I had no more room to back up).

Outside tests at greater distances showed the LH to be clearly brighter and further throwing, although regrettably without a better camera (night shot adjustable) the pics didn't come out.

But not to worry - the light meter doesn't lie:

LH%20VIP%20BH%20Lux.jpg

This 1,810 lux reading from one meter away belongs to the VIP w/BH. The LionHeart's reading was:

Lux%20Proto.jpg

LionHeart run times on High were exactly what was expected, a little over an hour (with the same Pila 150A used after the beamshots were taken) before dimming down gradually, so I didn't even bother getting into measuring run times of the other 63 levels. Hey, you want your LionHeart delivered this year, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

And now (drum roll, please) onto the BONUS FEATURES:

1) Instant access to two brightness levels from off (press for lowest, and then click for any other level that you have previously chosen).

2) When on (at any level), the brightest level can be momentarily activated by pressing the button.

3) Five distinct levels of brightness to chose from. Low, Med-Low, Med, Med-High, and full-on High. Each is a logarithmically calibrated step to appear evenly spaced to the human eye.

3a) Brightness can be easily varied (press and hold button from off).

4) A forced brightness level can be set so the light comes on at the same brightness every time and this feature can also be turned off so light comes on at the last-used level every time, your choice.

5) Electronic lock-out of power button for those who carry rocks and things in ther pockets. Although given the very solid yet easily actuated tactile feel, this feature might never be used.

6) Auto-Doze (yes, it Can be disabled!). And when manually set to the lowest brightness, the Auto-Doze is disabled regardless of the menu setting for this feature. This way, the light can be instantly used for a nightlight, or be in "always-on find-me" mode.

No feature (except electronic unlock - this is on purpose!) requires more than TWO BUTTON PRESSES.

And how can we do all this from a single button? You'll have to buy one to find out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Seriously, we set it up with two MODES of operation, and you simply press and hold the button while screwing on the battery tube (which applies power to the circuitry), and this enables you to choose which Mode you want to be in for the two different features sets. One will be the original setup described throughout this thread (smoothly scrolling through all 64 brightness levels), and the other will offer all the fancy stuff above. So the LionHeart now becomes a light for everyone - the KISS (Keep-It-Super-Simple) users, as well as those who want every bell and whistle, by selecting one of two modes.

But the BIGGEST Bonus Feature of all:

7) CUSTOM PROGRAMMING (at extra cost) will be available post-sale. But please do not request anything yet, buy the light as it is and see if you will even need anything else.

Besides, offering more than one version (anodized vs. plain aluminum) is already going to slow down build/distribution timelines, plus the infrastructure to accept individual reprogramming requests is not yet ready at this time, and costs have not yet been determined (although if a dozen LH owners get together and ask for the same custom feature set then setup costs can be amortized over ten or twelve lights and make things a lot cheaper).

A lot of time, thought and effort went into setting up the features the way they are now, and we think you will like them just fine the way they are.

Preordering for the first 200 people will open today, please visit the LionHeart Sign-Up List thread at "CPF's Custom & Mod B/S/T" a little later for details. Gotta run for now. do some errands and stuff..

Thank You for your support!

UPDATE 8-16-04:

It's ALIVE! See latest post at the end...but meanwhile here's a pic for ya:

Alive%20-.jpg

Latest update, 8-11-04:

There is an "anti-green" color constraint in the electronics, meaning no matter HOW DIM you set it to, the color will be as white (or blue-white, as I personally prefer my Luxeons to be) as when on all-out High. Cool, eh?

Okay one more UPDATE:

One of our fellow LionHeart development partners (the one who is designing and PWM programming all the electronics for this project) has ordered enough parts to build 500 (that's FIVE HUNDRED) boards - so uh, I really wouldn't worry about missing out on this one, if ya know what I mean... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Plus I am unsure how I will ever top this light anyway. Originally I thought the VIP would be the end-all be-all of small LED ights, but hey, it's only got THREE levels - plus you can tell all too easily whenever you switch between one level and the next - whereas transitioning up and down through all 64 levels of the LionHeart will be totally - smoof! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Coupled with the new IMS 27.5mm reflector, throw will be unsurpassed for any light of this head size. Of course, we could add a Maglite-reflector-sized accessory head later, heh heh...

Absolute maximum run time on the lowest setting might just possibly never be known due to the lack of days in most reviewers' week(s) to wait that long.

You can operate it with just one hand (in fact it is not even conveniently possible to Use two hands - try it when you get yours).

You will never have to buy batteries again (well, ya might after you recharge it 500 times).

And again, there will be enough for everyone this time. Really.

UPDATE 8-2-04: How the switch and dimming functions work:

From when light is "OFF":

1) press and release - latch on, or

2) press and hold - momentary on (light goes off as soon as you release)

3) if performing #1, re-press and hold button on - the light will now smoothly SCROLL upwards (get brighter) until it reaches its max brightness, at which point it will "pin" there (remain at brightest setting). No "wrapping around" which will cause no end of pain, especially to the anally inclined ("Dang! Went past max brightness again! Now how in the heck do I reverse it?").

4) IF you do not want to be scrolling upwards (BRIGHTER), you simply release and re-press, immediately causing it to now scroll downwards (dimmer).

5) Release when desired level is reached (it only takes 3.2 seconds to go from end to end of entire brightness range)

6) Press-release to turn off.

*UPDATE 7-31-04: Still getting some questions like, "Hey Charlie! So whut's yer tahm-table lahk on them there Lah-yun-Horts?" despite my already posting it in both threads (here and in the Sign-Up thread) - but I realize some may not want or be able to search for it, so here is a cut n' paste:

"Here is the approximate timetable:

I expect the actual production LH boards in my hands in about two weeks, after which I will complete the finalized LionHeart prototypes and run a bunch of extensive tests, requiring up to perhaps another week or so to complete. And then if I encounter no unanticipated problems I will announce the prepayment acceptance period.

Also at that time I will give the go ahead to the CNC shop to start cuttin' metal, which is usually another four weeks until I actually get them delivered to me. Barring any unforeseen holdups regarding the finish (HA3 Natural plus some held back from the platers to be built as bare aluminum lights) and logo etching processes, we would then schedule a series of HAT events to get the lights built and out to your waiting hands.

But first I will still likely personally build a couple dozen units (as I did with the VIP) to work out the most efficient assembly methods including the sequence and timing of when and how the various components will go together."

Thanks for your patience...

UPDATE 7-18-04: The LionHeart Prototype Body is DONE, see pictures below:

Here it is just standing around, minding its own business:

Proto%20Side.jpg

Notice the knurled finning. This was in response to numerous contacts via e-mail and PM about how the knurled fins created a brand identity unique to the VIP's look, and which we wanted to carry forward in this next light. Our proto machinist Otokoyama commented that it looked like, "a mini-VIP with a big chest"...and yes Paul, that is indeed the chest of a lion, a LionHeart chest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

It will have the same grippy feel of the VIP as well as its thermal dissipation properties - just in case you plan to run it on High often.

In fact running at High for a long time is a very real possibility with this light. Tests last night of the finalized proto board (set up on the bench to exactly replicate the actual LionHeart drivetrain including full dimming capability, powered by a freshly charged Pila 150A battery) driving a TWOK-binned Luxeon III - and I assure you that EVERY LionHeart will have a Lux3 of this bin code at minimum - resulted in a run time of 80 minutes on High, with fully 40 minutes of this runtime period producing light output clearly BRIGHTER than my own beloved VIP on HIGH with its BULKHEAD in place.

Here are a couple views of it laying on its side, from 3/4 front and 3/4 rear angles:

Proto%20Lay%20Down.jpg

Proto%20Lay%20Down%20Rear.jpg

And just in case you didn't know, the high-class and very fancy "LionHeart Logo" will be prominently laser etched onto the face of the rear cap:

Lion%20Logo%202.jpg

I know the light looks huge in the above photos, but here is a comparison next to a standard VIP, just to keep things in perspective:

Proto%20Line%20VIP.jpg

And just a lil' bit of info to show you that I'm more open minded than some might think - as of late I have been hemming and hawwing about getting the LH done in HA3 Natural...

The LionHeart. Coming sooner than you think...

UPDATE 7-16-04:

There have been many twists, tweaks and changes to the final configuration and functionality of the LionHeart. Rather than wade through all the posts, here are most of the specs/features as very nicely summed up by bindibadgi:

Under 4" long, about ~1.25" wide at the head

27.5mm IMS reflector

T-bin Luxeon III

2mm thick glass UCL

Bead blasted (possibly)

Laser etched logo

Tail standing capability

Uses rechargeable Pila Li-Ions

Estimated run time of 100+ hours on Low

High is brighter than High on VIP using BH

Single electronic button interface for one handed use

Near 100% efficiency at all 64 brightness levels

Smoothly scrolling dimmer function

Momentary function

Water resistance at minimum

Final selling price guaranteed to be less than $200 (and probably lower) including Pila battery/charger setup

All references to the "SP" have now been changed to the "LH" or LionHeart. Thank You!

*See latest post* about the renaming of this upcoming light.

I have to be very careful how I present this because the components from this new "LionHeart" are NOT installed in the actual light, but instead are inside a commonly available production host (actual body when all test phases are complete will be custom machined, which I am finding out is a very satisfying concept - dang you, Keith!) which is being used as a Test Mule to check out fit/function/form, etc., much like how the original Fox 1x123 Xenon light was used as a test mule for the VIP:

Straight%20Pin%2027mm.jpg

It uses a Luxeon 3 TWAK Star underneath the new IMS 27.5mm reflector and runs off an anonymous (at this time) rechargeable power source.

But the beamshots to follow were all against a very worthy opponent, the Streamlight 3AA Tasklight. But not any old stock Tasklight; this one has been modified with all resistance pulled to run off 3AAs in DirectDrive, a TWOK Luxeon 3 Star, and Kroll clickie:

Straight%20Pin%20Vs.jpg

It is a monster among slim, AA-cell Direct Drive lights and easily produces over 2,000 lux.

Here's a beamshot from a few feet away against a baseboard, with the LionHeart on the right:

Straight%20Pin%20Beam%20Close.jpg

Note how the SP 27.5mm reflector's hotspot is tighter and brighter.

And here they are shining on the ceiling about 20 feet up (again with LH on the right):

Straight%20Pin%20Beam%20Far.jpg

Notice how the LH's hotspot is now even more pronounced and brighter than the DirectDrive TWOK'd Streamlight Tasklight.

And finally, a lux meter reading from the LH (taken after some other tests plus the beamshot photo sessions so the rechargeable power source is definitely Not fresh any longer):

Straight%20Pin%20Lux.jpg

That's 2,360 lux from one meter away. The rechargeable power source features very consistent output over its usable charge life however, so even topped off it probably won't get much brighter than this.

But then I kinda feel like it's bright enough already, don't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

This ~4" long LionHeart will come out a little later this summer, and hopefully we are all pleasantly surprised at the reasonable final cost, especially for a custom-bodied light.

Please stay tuned...

HunterSon

Enlightened
Re: New \"Straight Pin\" - Test Mule

Reasonably priced and custom made? Now you are just teasing.

All kidding aside, when I first joined this board I thought the prices of mods were outrageous. Then as I learned how much work goes into these creations. After I bought/bartered some of them, I realized that they are undervalued most of the time.

Look forward to seeing the new light!

rdf

Newly Enlightened

Already?? Does this man ever slow down? (Not that I want him to ....)

Well, Charlie, please put me on the list for a Straight Pin, SP-BH, SP-BBH, superlens .... and also for the optional refillable fuel-cell hypergauss collider power source.

Russ

Prolepsis

Enlightened

Awesomes! If there's a list, I'm in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rdf said:
Already?? Does this man ever slow down? (Not that I want him to ....)

Well, Charlie, please put me on the list for a Straight Pin, SP-BH, SP-BBH, superlens .... and also for the optional refillable fuel-cell hypergauss collider power source.

Russ

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto what Russ said X 2.

Paypal ready for 2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Britt

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Dang Charlie!!! Do you ever stop? (or work for that matter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif)

Francois1

Newly Enlightened

Hi Charlie,

please count me in for 2 of them, paypal ready.

Francois.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Sheesh guys, this was only a preview of coming attractions, there're no tickets at the box office yet...but thanks for lookin' in!

And I guess to avoid confusion like in some past offerings (email vs. thread post), we can simply use the posts here to establish the "priority list".

bricksie - I have yet to decide if it will be dimmable, and to how many levels. Won't be able to keep the price that reasonable if it is, though. Several additional parts (and way more labor) if that is to come about.

But all this is still several months down the road (hey what date does summer officially end anyway?). Lots more testing still to do, although I must say with the advent of the 27.5mm reflector, everything changes from here on out.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

Charlie, you know better than to post something if you don't plan to sell it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Besides, as you noted, the line's gotta start somewhere...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey edd, now That I'd like to see (you usin' one a yore big toes?)!

acusifu

Enlightened

Mr. Bulk, the size, rechargeable, and you making it, makes me want one !

rfdancer

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
And I guess to avoid confusion like in some past offerings (email vs. thread post), we can simply use the posts here to establish the "priority list".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhhhhh. Another list. I'm in.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah. Yes. If I'm reading correctly this'll be around 4 inches?

Yes. I'm very interested..

Brian

Latest posts