What lights you'd take on a long (camping) trip?

cy

Flashaholic
What lights you\'d take on a long (camping) trip?

Hi all,

I just got back from Freewheel, which is a 400+ miles week long bicycle trip across Oklahoma.

Ran into BentheadTX, who was wearing a clearly modded maglite on his helmet. We had big time fun talking LED's for the trip. He's got the brightest BB500 R2H in minimag, toasted my MM+ R2H firefly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The second night after riding 70 miles with a high of 105 degrees. A major wind storm with 90mph+ winds blew thru the campground. It flatten out most of the tents. Mine survived the winds due the stable design of my tent. The time to go tent shopping was right after that storm, looking at the tents that survived.

People were running all over for shelter after their tents were flatten. One woman carrying her baby was lifted off the ground by the winds. Thank goodness they good off with only scratches.

The row of porta pottys blew over with someone trapped inside. Wheww... I bet that guy stunk. I heard he was yelling for help for sometime.

Needless to say my LED lights were put to use in that night. My two boys ages 11 & 15 were with me in the tent, they were EDC infinity ultra's and ArcLS first runs.

I did bring also bring in my backpack, Arc4+ and LSHP. But my EDC firefly almost never left my neck with arcAAA w/spyderco mini attached as a backup.

What lights would you bring on a long camping trip?

Thanks,
CY

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What lights you\'d take on a long (camping) trip?

It sounds like you have some great camping lights there. I personally wouldn't go camping without a good headlamp. My favorite is the Petzl Tikka Plus. Everything else is just backup for me when camping.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I used to use the Petzl Duo (incandescent & 3 LEDs) with an Ultra-G and a Princeton Tec Tec40. I also take a Petzl Zipka for a spare headlamp and my wife likes to use it for reading while she's laying in her sleeping bag.

Now I use the Princeton Tec Yukon HL, & either Infinity Ultra-G or ARC AA. When I'm in bear country I also take a Surefire M6. I still take the Zipka too.

The Tec40 and now the M6 don't get much use, but some times when I need a bright light they are invaluable.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stationary camp:
Lantern (gas)
PT Aurora and Petzl Tikka+ (one for backup)
one of McGizmo's PR based lights (intermittent use)
Arc AAA

For a mobile camp(not what I normally do), I'd get rid of the lantern, and use AA based lights as the AAs are more common.

Brian

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What lights you\'d take on a long (camping) tri

BigHonu,

You make a good point about the different types of camping. Since I backpack, I find I only need to add a few things to my pack to go camping. None of those things are necessary, but do add comfort. So I would just add a lantern to my normal lighting setup. I prefer LED, and one that also does amber.

Reaper

Enlightened

The lights I took to Yosemite National Park for a week was my every present CMG Infinity (since it's on my keyring), Blaster II, CMG headlamp and a KL3 on UBH 3x123. Most used was the headlamp and the KL3. The other guys were stuck with their generic Mags and what have you. One poor guy didn't even think to bring a light and no one wanted to lend him one.

BillBill

Newly Enlightened

Brinkmann rebel-long throwing for 1led, runs for two days at good brightness, works on really weak batteries.
Rayovac 1led-good flood, long runtime, not really bright
Rayovac Industrial 2d-nice beam (faceted reflector), works well with 2aa bulbs, durable (but not waterproof)
Red Inova-dim, unobtrusive keychain light

I have never been camping and don't really know what to expect but those are the lights I would like to take on a camping trip. Yes, a brighter light is needed, etc.,etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

cy

Flashaholic

Looks like I need to get a good headlamp like the Zipka+.

That's the one item I'm always short on, a good head lamp. I've been kinda holding off waiting for a luxeon version, but got to get one soon.

Firefly in a Niteize headband works OK in a pinch.

paulr

Flashaholic

I'm wondering, how many minutes/hours per night do people on this thread actually use flashlights while camping?

For me, the answer has never been more than a few minutes a night, especially for any type of high powered light. For walking in the dark, a 5mm LED has generally been plenty, and usually when camping, I haven't had to do much in the dark anyway.

rycen

Enlightened

I could list a bunch but the one came to me first is the UK4AA ELED regulated long runtime waterproof common batteries and can take a beating.

cy

Flashaholic

Paulr, On the comping trip I just came back from, aprox. 1 hour burntime per day is about right. Most of that was from arcAAA hanging in the tent preping gear for the next day for two boys and me to ride 50-70 miles.

firefly on low walking around the campground would use up 15-20 min burntime typical.

Never had to replace batteries on this trip, except when trying switch to a new battery when bentheadTx's BB500 R2H was smoking my firefly. Rats it was not the battery.

My boys infinity ultras came no where close to using up the original battery on this trip.

paulr

Flashaholic

I think I'd take:

PT Aurora headlamp (tent setup, cooking, walking, etc)
UKE 2L xenon 2x123 (need a bright light now and then)
Photon II with red LED (night vision)
Arc AAA on keys (backup/I always carry it on trips anyway)

Even the above is really overkill.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I'm wondering, how many minutes/hours per night do people on this thread actually use flashlights while camping?

For me, the answer has never been more than a few minutes a night, especially for any type of high powered light. For walking in the dark, a 5mm LED has generally been plenty, and usually when camping, I haven't had to do much in the dark anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I am camping, usually fishing is the primary activity. I tend to do alot of night fishing only because some species are more active at night. While there is a lantern (or two or three) among us, we all like to fan out and walk the shoreline. It is usually during this time that I have my headlight on to manuever, check my gear, etc. I use my brighter/longer throw light when I need to scan the terrain ahead of me to pick out the best path. Total time the lights are on depends on how often we move, how unfamiliar the terrain is, and how often I get my line caught in the rocks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aloha
Brian

B@rt

Flashaholic

A 5 mm based headlamp like the BD moonlight. (The Pro for AA compatibility, but only when it also has the brightness settings... )

A LS based light. (DD will yield the longest runtimes.)

A backup light, ( My Arc AAA suffizes in most cases. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Some batts.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy started it!
I went on a week-long bicycle tour and walked in wearing my helmet. Perched on top was my brightest BB500 R2H minimag, Fraen LP with Kroll klickie. A gentleman wearing a lanyard asked about the lumen output (50-60 or so), stated it must be a luxeon (it is) and is probably driven with a BB500. Awww heck, I ran into a CPF'er!

cy showed me his MM+ driven R2H Fire~Fly (amazing light) and we compared lights at the campground. Since he was the first CPF'er I have ever run into, I had no idea how the "sammies" compared, I found out. I was a little brighter with that wonderful whiteness we all know and love. Not bad for a light that gets over 2 hours of burn time from 2200 mAH NiMH batteries.

My other light I took along was the ole' 2D Mag with an R2H driven with MM+ and two 11,000 mAH D cells. It is amazing what that thing will do in the darkness, we were entertained with the narrow pin-spot beam and were throwing it out for over a hundred meters and more. It is a good light for the "what was that" portion of your camping trip. Now that cy has purchased a WX1S Luxeon V, I think he is going to build a light cannon.

My Arc AA loaded with a lithium was the perfect light to use in a crowded campground. It gave enough light to see everything clearly and has amazing runtime. I need to get one of those headbands for minimags to make a headlamp out of the Arc AA. If I need more light, the R2H minimag will do the trick.

To summarize, and Arc AAA/AA or Infinity Ultra will give you the walking around light you need, one of Wayne Y's sandwiches will provide the light you want... and throw in a larger ultra-long throw cannon to see things at long distances.

One other thing, CPF'ers show up in the stangest places! I HAD to purchase an AAA-Premium from cy as a momento of my ride (that is the story I am sticking to) Enjoy your camping and bring spare batteries.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rycen said:
I could list a bunch but the one came to me first is the UK4AA ELED regulated long runtime waterproof common batteries and can take a beating.

[/ QUOTE ]

HERE, HERE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

this is my new primary backpacking light and glovebox light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

Took two MiniMags, with Opalec New Beam Modules, on the last fishing trip, about two years ago. They were great.

Today, I'd probably take the Surefire A2-WH and an E2O or two. Probably would include a couple of Ultra G's too. They all would have their lanyards attached. Be a good idea to have SC03's for the A2 and E2O's.
oldgrandpajack

d'mo

Enlightened

Last year in Maine, I gave a CMG Infinity to my 2 year old daughter. Battery life can't be beat so I didn't care if she left it on all night. My wife and 7 year old daughter used an Arc AAAs. I EDC an Arc LS so it was my primary light, but it was occasionally too bright for tent use. I also took my PT Surge for "reach out and touch someone" brightness that's still economical to use. I ended up lighting up a skunk that had some into our campsite looking for bits of left over lobster.

This year, no doubt, the VIP will be the star of the show being able to take the place of all of these lights, particularly if the BH and/or BBH are out by the time we go.

Camping and flashaholism belong together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

How apropos, considering as how we are leaving in a couple hours for some light weekend camping, that I was up last nite at 3am thinking about what lights to bring.

Around my neck, speaking of d'mo above, is his Arc AAA LS mod in Jets' N tail body. Around my wrist will be Charlie's VIP. In the tent, we've got Ultra-G on a short lanyard, and in the tent pockets X5T-HA on my wife's side and Chop's KL1 3W mod on myside with 3x123 Vital Gear host.

That's the basics. Rounding out the selection is LSH-P, Inova X1, and a PT Surge. Oh, and the Arc AAA on my keys. And I forgot, I'm bringing two dozen $1 countycomm lights for the kids to play with. This is the best part of camping!

daloosh

d'mo

Enlightened

daloosh - off topic, but I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the AAA-LS mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif