Dorcy 2AA?

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Since we'll be making our regular jaunt to Target this evening, I'm thinking about buying the Dorcy 2AA LED. Runs about $16.79 at Target. My husband and I already share the Dorcy single AAA and the single AA. Like and enjoy them both, but am wondering if the 2AA had the same value potential as the single cell lights. Any thoughts?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The new 2AA (checkered grip) feels like it is better quality. The beam shots appear to have the same intensity (measured with a light meter) but the new ones have been consistantly whiter.

Maybe they have better QC or maybe the LEDs are maturing.

The 2AA 4LED model is about equal to the Inova X5T.

Daniel

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how nice the Dorcy 2AA is. It is built well and with double the voltage the light is brighter too. You might have to buy two of the 2AA lights for you and your husband.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is incredible - way beyond coincidence! Yesterday, when I stopped at the local hardware store, I saw one, Red, Dorcy, LED, light hanging up behind the check out, but didn't ask to see it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif This would be considered an exotic and expensive light in my backwater burg.

When I returned to the store, again today, (happens all the time) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif I asked to see it and was favorably impressed but $19.95 was too much. That and it had been returned by a customer and the package was taped. So I got the items I forgot the day before and went home...and started thinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

After thinking (plotting?) for awhile I remembered that one of the owners of the store gave me some good deals on imperfect or old items - that, and I had repaired his old, electric organ a few months ago. So...I went back again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif and asked the guy if he'd remove the light and let me try it. No problem, as the package was already opened. He tried it first and three of the four LED's flickered, unsteadily, to life. As he turned the bezel they flickered some more and the fourth one finaly lit up. Twisting the twisty switch caused flickering too. NOT impressive. Long story...he GAVE me the light.

Back to the ranch for LED disassembly, I went, post haste. Anyway, after cleaning all the contacts and duburring the battery tube ends - it works great. Almost as bright as my SL-TT1 with the LED's on.

What are the odds of us getting the same light in one day and posting about it? We've gotta be connected on some brighter level. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
now you just got to flip over the button contact in the tail to make it not make anymore burrs, remove the head and leds, put one of those IMS 17mm reflectors in the plastic lens/holder, and put a luxeon in there. Power it up with 2 lithium AA's and you'll have a smooth white perfect beam screamer!

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
For the price I like mine. Had to tighten the head on it! It's not an X0, but it's not $50 either!

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Update! I did pick up the Dorcy 2AA. So far, I am pretty pleased with the overall construction, and all the other features that we all like and enjoy from the smaller single AA and single AAA. That being said, I did decide to get some better cells for this lite, since the ones it came with were merely adequate. While at Target, I picked up a 2 pack of the Energizer Lithium AA cells, and installed those instead of the 2 that came bundled with the lite. Very impressive! I also added a lanyard to the ring on the end.

As "gadget_lover" pointed out, it is like the X5T. My husband has one of those, and IMHO, this Dorcy was just as good. I have to attribute this, at least partly, to the lithium AA's, though.

Overall, I would say it was a pretty good buy for a mere $17.