VIP and Battery Usage

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I really haven't posted that much about the VIP other than a runtime graph or two. The VIP is quite a fantastic light that has probably exceeded everyone's expectations. For me, it has the things that are now part of my purchasing decisions.

- can use a reflector.
- can stand on its end.
- has multi-level output.

I simply will not pursue anymore LED lights that don't meet the above requirements.

Back to the VIP. Tonight I found something else about the VIP that absolutely floors me in such a positive way. It's ability to fire off an almost dead cell. I went thru my dead cell pile and found one with the lowest voltage. This particular cell had 1.54 volts without load, as recorded by my tester. I tried this cell in the following lights, in the following order and here's the results.

- LongBow Micra did not fire-up.
- Arc4+ did not fire-up.
- Arc4x did not fire-up.
- TW4 did not fire-up.
- KL1 did not fire-up.
- Arc LSH DID fire-up.
- Blackbird DID fire-up.
- VIP DID fire-up.

I did this test several months ago with all but the Blackbird and VIP (I didn't have them back them) and recall the Longbow and Arc4+ and Arc4x failing misserably. I know the Arc4 doesn't want anything less than 2.0 volts to start, but I'm unaware of the minumal requirements for the Longbow. In all the testing I've done along these lines, the Longbow has failed the the most consistantly. It doesn't makes sense to me, considering the LB isn't exactly a scorcher when it comes to output.

Anyway, I messed with battery long enough to get it to drop voltage even more, just to the point where it wouldn't fire-up the other lights. Upon putting it in the VIP, it ignited the light, although dimmly, but light nevertheless. I was not quick enough to get an accurate reading of voltage at this point. I was hoping to, in order to find the minimal startup voltage for my particular VIP's.

Radagast

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray, I'm glad to see you finally get on the MrBulk bandwagon, I own two VIP's and think they are amazing, this changes everything with the bar not going up a single notch but many notches.