Jets22 - Blackbird 3W-LED Light

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I recieved my nicely packaged Blackbirds the other day. What a great light this little sucker is. I love the way the optics is raised to avoid the normal square in a small circle display that we're used to seeing. I also love the settings of the multi-stage switch. It's just right for my usage and there's enough travel in the switch between low and high mode not to switch to high accidently. The HA coating is the best I've ever seen. The look and more importantly, the feel, of the coating is awesome. I like how you can use the optics or straight "reflector" for flood mode. If you want to light up an entire room, take that optics out and fire this sucker up. I've only played with the Blackbird in the 1x123 configuration. I haven't purchased a CR2 cell yet, but the size of that combination looks to be unbeatable in the size vs. output category. I like the way that even though the bottom unscrews, you'd never know it if you didn't know of the design of the light. I'm finding that I prefer to insert the cell via the tailend vs. the topend from the bezel side. I currently have some runtime tests executing that I'll post later. It's nice to have another great and unique light in my collection.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
T_I_N: thanks for the report. I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail (since I live in Canada)--am deciding on whether I should try to buy a slew of CR2s or not. I've always liked Jets22's creations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jets22

Enlightened
Ray..Very nice to hear you are enjoying the new light.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I think designing this light to slightly elevate the LP optic gives a nicer beam. granted, I gave up a little light intensity by doing this but the beam is more usable than the typical Square and circle LP. I tried all optic combinations in the early proto-types and found a slightly raised LP gave the best overall results across the board. The flood mode is VERY room filling as you found out. The two piece powerpack is almost invisible when screwed together.. I really wanted to visually hide that aspect and believe it was accomplished.. several revisions were done on that alone. I am a very big fan of the CR2 powered Blackbird.. (I have found energizer photo lithium work the best for some reason) This brings the light to just over 2.2 inches tall and .900 around and packs alot of punch in a small package. This coupled with the optic flood feature makes it a nice little addition to the light arsenal. The plating on the Blackbird is some special stuff and I agree the look and feel is excellent. Unlike HA plating , this is a very high tech Titanium Carbo Nitride application on all components except the head. The Blackbird having 6 seperate pieces posed a problem with plating.. I wanted something unique and also not have the typical random color shifts HA plate produces on each run. The Nitride plating is about dead on every time.
Having the option of using the 123 and a smaller CR2 configuration is handy depending on your lighting needs. I've had several companies produce possible carry options for the Blackbird.. I received a beautiful, unique,very functional and well crafted rig today. Works with both powerpack configuration and just "fits" with the look of the Blackbird.. I will be contacting this manufacturer in the next couple days. but will post a pic for you guys to look at. The rig is VERY compact and high quality.
(shot of the bag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) second is my Blackbird Proto 123 in the new rig, third is the Blackbird in the new rig and in CR2 configuration, last is the unique belt attatchment.. Let me know what you think guys.. web page web page web page web page

Jets22

Enlightened
If you find any good prices on Energizer Photo lithium CR2's while looking ...LET me know also.. I'm spoiled with Surefire lithiums 123's for $1.00 +.

marcspar

Enlightened
My package from FL was waiting on my desk when I got to my office this morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks, Brock!

I'll post again as soon as I get her out of the hanger tonight, but from what I have heard and seen, there's nothing like the BlackBird out there.

The sheath system looks great; I'm in.

I can't wait for it to get dark.....

Marc

indenial

Enlightened
Put me in for one of each of the sheaths, assuming the cost is reasonable. Just to clarify, the first two are only for protection, and the third is the only one that has a belt attachment?

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN: Questions:

1)These are all gone correct?

2)Can you fit a SO17XA in the head?

3)How does the brightness compare with your 4X?

Brian

Jets22

Enlightened
Neo is correct, it's all the same sheath... just one shot is with the CR2 powerpack and the other is the 123 Powerpack..one sheath works for both configuations and it is for your belt..lays nice and flat and very compact really.

No, this light is not set up for the reflector .. It was designed to be used without an optic (flood mode) or with a Fraen LP..the head was designed to allow the optic to sit slightly elevated to get a better beam shape.

Hard to compare a reflector beam to an optic ..I would say the reflector will almost always edge the use of an optic (all things being the same)

I've had some brighter and some initially less bright, when compared side by side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Run 1 has been sold out and has started to ship over the last week.. Run 2 is still open with a few spots still available... Thanks

Jets22

Enlightened
Gladius..this was just a first proto-type I will be talking with the maker over the weekend about possible stock..I'll let you know what happens..

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR2s @ battery Station for like 1.25 USD

They work nice with the Katokitchi so they should also work nice with the Blackbird I suppose

Klaus

Kiessling

Flashaholic
well ... I have the batteries, but not the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
it sounds sooo nice ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... ah, the waiting ... :sleep: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
bernhard