Global Warming - Fact or Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've all been fed the stories about Global Warming, but from where I'm sitting, I think they have it wrong.

I think we're headed for another Ice Age.

When I moved back here to Iowa from Europe in 1997, the summer temps reached 105F, even 107F. Over the last years, our summer temps have gone down a lot. Last year, we were lucky to reach 98F. Right now it's June 25th and I've never seen it so cold in nearly half a century. We hardly made 68F today, and it's been like this for more than a week, and is not expected to hit 80F again until the middle of next week.

Global Warming? = Big BS

Get your parka cleaned, we're heading for the next Ice Age...

StuU

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lambda said:
We've all been fed the stories about Global Warming, but from where I'm sitting, I think they have it wrong.

I think we're headed for another Ice Age.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gosh! Those darn scientists...always trying to decieve the American people with their half-baked theories! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Then again, maybe a couple of cool summers on the plains of Iowa doesn't make a global trend?

And maybe you are correct about the Ice Age. It seems that some of the recent detailed ice cores document some quick and drastic global climate changes. In fact, some global warming theories predict much colder climates in the eastern US and Europe due to changes in the Gulf Stream. With the built-in complication of global weather predicting, nobody has 100% accurate outlook into the distant future.

chumley

Enlightened
So far, I can't disagree with lambda or StuU. I took a landform geography class in about 1975 and the prof thought that we were heading towards an ice age. He had done studies that showed it was quite a bit warmer 2000 years earlier in northern Minnesota.

I don't think anybody really knows what the future climate will be. I just don't think that we should panic and pass draconian laws that could wreck world wide economies, because something might happen.

Humans have only been studying weather for the last 100 years or so, there is a lot that isn't known about cycles and how systems interact. It wouldn't hurt to have backup plans for farming in case the climate changes for the worse.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's important to be careful with the environment anyways.

I actually think (after studying physics for 5 years at University) that we should be using more nuclear power than we do. People are scared of it because of Chernobyl, but with modern techniques that can't happen, and we can use the (sub critical) fuel in such a way that no bomb grade stuff comes out at the end.

Besides, burning coal produces more nuclear waste than a nuclear plant!

vtunderground

Enlightened
The earth is what, 4.6 billion years old? And people are claiming that stuff humans have done in the past 150 years has permanently affected the climate? The earth goes through natural heating and cooling cycles... always has, always will.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Global Warming? Let me know when they are gowing grapes in Greenland again (Vineland). I guess that was because of all the fossel fuels they burned back then

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is the disappearing ice shelf fom Alasaka, and the Artic. Global warming. Ice age. I don't think you can eliminate one by just the presence of the other.

ledlurker

Enlightened
When I was in grade school the mantra was pollution would cause the ice age. Recently pollution is causing global warming. CO2 and CO2 that. I agree that we are not helping the environment. But, back in the early 90's a very large volcano erupted. Scientist rushed to the seen and took samples. Airplanes flew on the edge of plume clouds and sent probes into them. The results: estimations put CO2 and ozone depleting compounds above what mankind at put into the ecosystem for over 200 years up to that time. So yes, I believe that we can have a impact on the evvironment, but I also believe that left by itself global warming would happen, we just help it happen sooner.

A program I watched on global warming on PBS was very interesting. They investigated the thawing of the frozen tundra that covers the Norther parts of North America and the Asian Continenet. embedded in this tundra going down over a 100 feet in some areas is plants from over 10,000 years ago (before the last ice age). Scientest have recorded tepemperatur increases over the last 30 years and estimate the tundra is starting the thaw. When all of this frozen plant life thaws out and starts to decompose, more CO2 again will be released into the atmosphere than mankind has ever produced. This is happening in the oceans also. Deep, Deep water has incredible amounts of CO2 dissolved into. When water warms up on the surface an inversion with the deep water can happen and cause another release of CO2 etc., etc. etc.

So maybe you can have a drastic change in as little as as 100 years. Maybe my kids should keep our current property, it will become ocean front property according to sea level estimates and topigraphical maps I have reviewed of where I live.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Well, whe're seeing much milder winters here, and hotter and wetter summers (in a maritime climate, a temperature rise of 1 degree means a 10 percent increase in rainfall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ).
Since we don't know what inpact we're having on the climate the most conservative aproach (burn as little fossil fuel as is practical) would seem the wisest course.

stockwiz

Enlightened
It has been said that the sun is the largest cause for long term variations in global temperture, probably accounting for as much as two thirds of the temperature increases we've seen over the last century. With that said, the fact can't be denyed that carbon dioxide levels in the air have been steadily increasing over the years, what effect this will have long term remains to be seen, but I don't believe it will be nearly as bad as hollywood and political scientists suggest.

JOshooter

Enlightened
I don't know where I stand on this as far as Ice Age of Global Warming goes...all I know is that as long as the sun is shinin' and the earth is rotating, part of the world will be experiencing some warming, and other parts will be cooling down.

Up here in Alaska the winters have become milder, and the summers warmer. A few years ago it was common to go several days below zero degrees, this year I don't think it even touched 10 here in Anchorage. As far as summer goes, several years back we were lucky to break 60, now everyday is in the mid 70's.

This seems to suggest global warming in this part of the world, but I think it's just because of a change in the ocean currents.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
here's a picture of the hole in the ozone, as of September 11th, 2003.

Sept11_2003_ozone_hole.jpg

with that big of a hole in the ozone i think eventually global warming will become more noticable to the general public...

an ice age could very well be on the agenda...

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
every once in a while there is this older white haired
guy(retired scientist or professor) on public access TV talking about our oil reserves and when it is going to run out.
he also talks about hydrogen and Alcohol and other secondary energy sources.(sources that take energy to be useful it takes energy to make the Alcohol or to crack the hydrogen from water)
he also talks about world over population.
very interesting guy next time I see this program I will get the video.
I tried to get my 87 year old grandpa to watch it he said Bull we will never run out of oil or coal they will make more of it when we run out.

I think we are like the yeast in the process of making wine.
we will keep reproducing and using up our natural
resourses (our sugar) till we poison our environment
and ruin it for ourselves and all of the poor creatures
who share it with us.

sorry about my earlier post
it seemed funny at the time

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I thought the ozone hole and global warming were two seperate issues.
The ozone depletion allegedly causes more ultraviolet light to reach the surface and causes sun burn and eye damage. Plants are affected also.
Global warming causes climatic changes that cause droughts, crappy movies, etc.
Maybe I'm just misinformed, as usual.

Greta

Flashaholic
BBTL... do you have a picture that is an actual photo rather than a computer generated... um... "cartoon"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.