SL JR Luxeon comments

Gman

Enlightened
I've had two of these for a few days and thought I'd offer up some comments. They come in blister packs and were gifts but I couldn't resist opening one and playing with it.
I'm not much of a reviewer so I'll stick to my basic observations. I'm sure many of you will post a more comprehensive reveiw in the future.

Seems well made. Black, non adjustable focus, nice white beam. The knurling is very mild. The beam has not much spill and mine has somewhat of a square hot spot but it isn't very noticable. All in all a nice beam. The bezel contains the optics, I unscrewed it but was unable to remove them.

The reflector stays in the light body but can be unscrewed. Running the light without it (but bezel and optics installed) seems to make very little difference in beam quality. However, running the light without the optics (bezel removed) makes for a nice wide flood with only a hint of a hot spot. With no relector and no optics it's pure flood with no hotspot. If the optics could be removed and the bezel installed it would make a nice flood for task work.

The reflector holds the module in the body and with it removed a good shake will dump the circuit board and batteries out, exposing all the works. There are seveal surface mount devices and a other components on the PCB which is not potted or sealed other than typical conformal coating found on most PCBs. It looks delicate and the only heatsinking is a small metal plate under the plastic disc the LED is mounted on. Both the bezel and switch are O ring sealed.

I'm doing a run time test now and after 15 minutes the light becomes only mildy warm to the touch. The switch has a positive feel and is either monentary on click on. The light comes with a holster and pen-like clip on it's body. The light is slightly longer than a AA minimag but the same diameter. All things said I think it's a nice little light with a decent beam. I think it'll do well and puts the minimag to shame. Questions?

Gman

Enlightened
Flashlight: Not sure about regulation as I'm still running my first test. I don't have a light meter but after 45 minutes the brightness seems unchanged to my perception. The light becomes a bit warmer to the touch but still very mild. There isn't much throw to this light but in a completely darkened room it does a nice job. It's not overwhelmingly bright, just right for task work.

Mr Bulk: How much what sir? If you're asking about price it was around $28.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Only $28? Good deal! Now to remove the optic and drop in an IMS SO17XA...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, very similar to the BadBoy Q2 that I have - same throw as my Arc LSH-P. A very nice little light. Very white output, square hotspot. Full review over the next few days.

Gman

Enlightened
Ok, the JR started to fade at about one hour plus 20. At 1 plus 45 it's about 40% as bright as with fresh batteries. The light has cooled to the touch at 40% and no heat is felt at all. This is all subjective however, I'll leave the metrology stuff to the pros. It's still plenty useful at this point. I dunno, I like the light but if I recall the MM with the Terralux has a much longer runtime. The JR is a pretty light to look at though and I think it'll be good for mods.

Phoenix

Newly Enlightened
Hello Gman:
I wonder if Streamlight Jr Luxeon can reach 30 lumens with two AA(alkaline 1.5V or NiMH 1.2V) batteries?? If it can use NiMH 1.2V batteries as well, I want to buy one.
You know, CMG Reactor can reach 20+ lumens only when it use AA(lithium 1.7V), so it's hard to use.
AA(lithium 1.7V) is more expensive than AA(alkaline 1.5V or NiMH 1.2V) batteries.

Thanks!

Gman

Enlightened
Hello Phoenix. I ran the Jr on 2 2000ma Nimh batteries tonight and I saw no difference in brightness or run time then when run on alkalines. I don't know it's lumens, SL claims it's 30. It's plenty bright on Nimh however. best thing to do is wait for a pro like Quickbeam to test it, his reviews are some of the best to be found.

Phoenix

Newly Enlightened
I see, Thank you very much!
Then the flashlight is so good, I'll buy one for daily use.
I have four sanyo 2300mAh NiMH batteries and M55 charger, I think it's perfect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Raven

Enlightened
Is the Jr a poor mans ARC or Longbow?

Is the major difference cosmetic?

If that's the case, or almost the case, then this light is going to make serious waves.

Can't wait till some beamshots are posted.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Working on the review (With beamshots) but Rome wasn't built in a day. Hopefully I'll have it up this weekend but no promises. I want to do a runtime graph as well...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SL JR Luxeon comments: Runtime Graph

Runtime Graph:

streamlight_jr_luxeon\streamlight_jr_luxeon_runtime.gif

Y axis: Lux, X axis: minutes. 1 hour 20 min until regulation starts to fail

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting data. I assume we're talking alkaline AA cells here?

First off, looks properly regulated to me. Maybe 30% sag throughout run time. Looking at the Duracell AA graphs, this looks like a 1000 mW (one Watt) discharge rate to me. Times two for a total of 2 Watts from the battery. Times maybe 60% to 75% efficiency is 1.2 maybe 1.5 Watts to the LED. 30 Lumens just might be an honest number (20 Lumens/Watt).

Impressive. Glad I got mine on order......

Doug Owen

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review. It is just what I want to hear. I ordered two of the great sounding SL Lux lights a couple of days ago.

Streamlight is hot on the heals of Dorcy LED lights and did a one (or two?) upsmanship. And where is the Baglight? They are still in the shadows (of doubt). Now Dorcy will have to watch carefully to see how the SL Lux sells.

The way Streamlight built the light you would almost think that Streamlight is "stealthing" CPF. They wouldn't do that, would they?

Is it time to think about modding the SL Lux yet?

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

A question for all that have already got the Streamlight Jr.
I have, among others, some Arc-LS with 2AA tube. Do I order three Jr. or one more Arc-LS-2AA?
Thanks
Anthony