Garrity Bullet Smart LED

capnal

Enlightened
Had to pick up a couple of things at the local Wal Mart after dinner last night. I was surprised to see a light by Garrity called the Smartite LED. It has a tapered "bullet" looking design, with a rubber grip (mine is black) over an ABS housing. It was on sale for like $9.85 or something close to that.

K002G.jpg

Anyway, I took the plunge and got it, and I was really surprised. It has a 5 function switch, with 3 power levels, and 2 flashing / strobe settings. It comes with the needed 3 AAA batteries. The package even goes so far as to point out that it has a Nichia LED. The led shines through a magnified reflector, and produces a nice bright spot with plenty of spill. It also has three smaller LEDs to indicate battery strength, which I thought was a nice feature.

I have to say. I was impressed with this little ten dollar investment.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and if you open it up and take out the circuit board, you'll find it will work with a Luxeon, too - been playing with mine for awhile... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The stock reflector doesn't work with the Luxeon, though - you have to replace that.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, it's just a fancy switch. You would get whatever current you would normally get with 3 cells and a Luxeon, but I expect that there is some resistance in the switch. These are made by Azoteq in South Africa. There was a thread 2 years ago about these, but I never did get any samples. The Garrity swiches are cutom-marked of course, but the Azoteq mark is still on it.

I like it, but I wish it would come on in the same mode it was turned off in, as the Arc4+ and georges80's uFlex/nFlex do. That's a really nice feature.