My diffused "xnova" (pics inside)

legtu

Enlightened
My diffused \"xnova\" (pics inside)

One of the things that I disliked about the xnova's are their almost non-existent side-spill. Tried out some lenses but it didn't work. Found a magic tape lying around and decided to place it in front of the LED's and this is the result... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dorcy 1aaa vs diffused xnova
IMG_0762.thumb.jpg
hi-res pic

Dorcy 1aaa @ ~6 feet
IMG_0775.thumb.jpg
hi-res pic

diffused xnova @ ~6 feet
IMG_0778.thumb.jpg
hi-res pic

diffused xnova beam up-close
IMG_0789.thumb.jpg
hi-res pic

close-up shot of my xnova with the diffuser
IMG_0790.thumb.jpg
hi-res pic

close-up shot of my xnova(turned on) with the diffuser
IMG_0794.thumb.jpg
hi-res pic

legtu

Enlightened
here\'s version 2

Tried cutting out some blister packs and "sanded" them down to make a "diffusing lens".

close-up shot
IMG_0820.thumb.jpg
hi-res pic

close-up shot(turned-on)
IMG_0821.thumb.jpg
hi-res pic

evanlocc

Enlightened
Re: here\'s version 2

Great idea! Thanks for the post.

I put a plastic cap on it as night light and run on secondary batt.(battery that consider dead on other device.)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DrAg0n

Banned

Is it just me or is the x5 is already quite diffused without a diffuser... so y bother? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

legtu

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DrAg0n said:
Is it just me or is the x5 is already quite diffused without a diffuser... so y bother? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the x5 but with the xnova, this is what its beam looks like up close.

XnovaHalo.jpg

image borrowed from one of UnknownVT's post

With the diffuser, there's "more" sidespill and the halo is somewhat eliminated/minimized. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is some side-spill on the Xnova AA between the hot-spot and the "halo".

It's just that in comparison that area looks dark - especially because of the rather distracting (for me) halo/ring of light.

For example if one was wearing white or light colored clothing - holding and pointing the Xnova AA at the ground in front normally, the halo would light up one's clothing - along with the relatively bright hot-spot on the ground in front - the actual side-spill between those areas becomes less effective.

I also tried the Scotch Magic Tape diffuser as soon as I read the original post - since it was easy to do - and indeed the halo was more or less minimized - there was more usable side-spill, but for me unfortunately there was just too much light loss - the light level became comparable to the Dorcy 1AAA/ ArcAAA/ Ultra-G class - whereas the naked Xnova AA was noticably brighter than any of those other flashlights.

Xnova AA vs Ultra-G, ArcAAA, Dorcy 1AAA

Another effect - that I found strange - despite the obvious symmetrical arrangement of the 5 LEDs and the round hot-spot - putting the Magic tape diffuser in front somehow made the hot-spot very noticably elongated - elliptical shaped - as legtu's own beamshot showed in his opening post.

Any suggestions why this hot-spot shape when diffused?

legtu

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:
There is some side-spill on the Xnova AA between the hot-spot and the "halo".

It's just that in comparison that area looks dark - especially because of the rather distracting (for me) halo/ring of light.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too, find the halo distracting. It was what "inspired" me to find a way to minimize it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I also tried the Scotch Magic Tape diffuser as soon as I read the original post - since it was easy to do - and indeed the halo was more or less minimized - there was more usable side-spill, but for me unfortunately there was just too much light loss

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm experimenting on another diffuser. With the version 2 diffuser, there's less "loss" of light but it still somewhat retained the improved sidespill.

The next one will have a clear middle and "sanded" sides. It should at least minimize the halo.

kd9uu

Newly Enlightened

Don't fry your xNOVA'S ON MY ACCOUNT. That said, as I previously have mentioned, I run mine on a 3V AA, 1/2 Duracell [brand is important] CR-V3 -- so much more bright a lil' tape won't slow it down. Have not tried a run-down test [er, LED burnout test]. I'm risking it.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
greg_in_canada said:
I think the Magic tape diffuses differently
along its length versus across its width.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg,

Thanks so much for that - I never noticed or even thought about that - I just assumed that Scotch Magic tape was just "frosted" evenly.

Now that I looked more carefully at the tape I can see the faint longitudinal lines.

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Magic tape diffused Arc AAA produces a smooth
oval beam.

You could try two pieces of tape at right angles,
though you may end up with too much diffusion.

Greg

szia

Newly Enlightened

I have tried this and indeed the light is much more diffused. However, the brightness is greatly diminished, my Dorcy 1AAA blows it away.