Specific Airline Torch Problems

JOshooter

Enlightened
I'm leaving on a trip in 2 weeks and was thinking of what flashlights to take. Of course I'll have my ArcAAA with out a doubt, but the following are questionable:

1) InovaX5T
2) ArcLS
3) McLux
4) SF E2e with a KL1 head

Has anyone had problems with any of these at the security checkpoints at the airports?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I generally have 2 2x123 lights, ARC AAA, Pelican L1 as well as 6-10 spare 123's and AAA's. I have never been questioned.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Just to check Aluminium: you had no worries with the Surefire E2d?

As far as I know, you should be fine with the Inova and the E2e. Not sure which Mclux you have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif you could have the Rothrandir mega junk yard dog mod attached /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just came back from my trip and with me was an E2e and KL1. The original bezel with MN03 was in my pocket too and I faced no problems.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you get a total tool at the gate, none of those should be a problem. They probably won't be able to turn any of them on as they are too complicated for TSA goons. And they don't understand the complex commands of "press that black button" very well.

One of the new "tactical" heads with the serrations or the scalloped head might look menacing if they are smart enough to understand the function.

Mag sized C&D lights and larger will get tossed or requested to be put in your checked bags as they are "weapon capable" like a club. There it could be stolen. That suggestion will turn them red and have them sputtering.

I know from experience. I have two complaints pending with them, a confiscated cigarette lighter they told me was a torch (idiots) and about 80% of the time my camera case-toolkit checked bag gets vandalized. Funny, they don't go in the clothes bag often. I heard they are afraid of sticking their hands in dirty underwear. Or finding some embarassing "toys".

As you may determine, I have had enough bad experiences with TSA to harbor zero respect for them at all. I have a real person contact in Indy you can complain to if you have an incident with them.

Come November they may "sunset" and the airlines can hire private security again. Congress is furious with the thousands of complaints they are getting about the abuses.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
They ought to have come up with some solid guidelines and qualification procedures for the private contractors instead of federalizing all airport security.

Say what you want to about the dedication of government employees, but dealing gracefully with the public and competence outside of their narrow field are not their strong points.