LedLenser Magic – 2 x C-Cell regulated LuxIII

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi all.

Here is one of the new generation LedLensers, the so-called LedLenser Magic:

LL_Magic.jpg

It powers a LuxIII (I think) from 2 x C-Cell and is regulated. I honestly do not think that it is fully current regulated, it should be a voltage regulation, but again, I am not sure since I did not vivisect the light and even if I would have, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .
Size comparison:

LL_MAgic_size.jpg

A consistent feature of the new LedLensers is a rather good machining and construction quality, and this light is no exception here:

LL_Magic_side.jpg

A perfect knurling, gold plated contacts, no battery rattle at all, solid aluminium construction (not brass or stainless steel this time).

The switch is a clicky with a real momentary-on, not a "reverse mode", but it feels a bit too easy to activate the momentary, it might very well light up in your backpack. In addition to that it blinks just before reaching the constant-on, which I find slightly annoying.

ll_vx2_AAAA_tailcap.jpg

(tailcap of similar design)

The LedLenser Magic uses a big optic of about 40mm in size of unknown origin to me. It is not protected by a lens.

LL_Magic_head.jpg

Of course it is not waterproof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif ... but, hear hear, there is an o-ring present at the end-cap. Better than nothing, but certainly not sufficient.

What it does:
The huge optic produces a very narrow beam without any useable sidespill; it is even narrower than the Fraen LP. Beam quality is not stellar, there are some rings in the outer regions and the LS is not perfectly centered:

LL_Magic_beam.jpg

LL_Magic_front_lit.jpg

Beam colour is a HID-like bluish white as with all their newer models. Except for the V2 Power Chip of the early years I never had any tint-complaint with LedLenser Luxeon-Lights.
As one might expect, this light reaches out quite far for a LED light, it can compare with a PR-based light.

Comparison shot with Don's Porsche including Lux reading:

LL_Magic_vs_DB917_TWAK.jpg

The Magic stays pretty much cool when used for prolonged periods of time, I have no idea about runtime, but it should be quite decent on 2 x C-Cell.

As with all LedLensers, this one has the characteristic holes in the bezel, but just like the LedLenser Lithium, those a shielded by some kind of grey-blue plastic and thus produce a cool-looking glow instead of a blinding dazzle. An acceptable design feature.

Overall this is a decent light with some shortcomings. I personally do not like it that much because of the ultra-narrow beam, but that is just my taste and YMMV.

bernhard

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Hi Kiessling,
cool mini preview...looks a little large for something to edc...I'm guessing that it's about 7 to 8 inches long...To bad led lenser doesn't have a v^2 law enforcement tac light like in the 3 watt range...or do they ???

Kiessling

Flashaholic
groutboy_1, it is 17.5 cm long and of course not a light-weight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, so I guess unless you are Shrek, you won't EDC this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do not know if the V²-Series use 1W or 3W Luxeons, sorry. There is this light:

ll_vx2_lithium_pic.jpg

The V² Lithium

... that uses 1 CR123 cell and draws 400mA form the battery.

The normal V²-Series, the V² AAA or V² AAAA are those:

ll_vquadrat_579.jpg

and are about as bright as the V² Lithium, but use 3xAAA or 3xAAAA batteries, the smaller one bearing a Fraen LP and the larger one a wider optic. There is also a version with 3 LEDs called the V² Mini Triplex on 3 x AAAA.

ll_Vx2_-_Arc_LSH_P4K.jpg

The V² AAA vs. Arc LSH-S P-FLux emitter

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
oh btw ... this is not a preview, you can buy the LedLenser Magic ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
BK, what haven't you tried from zwei bruthers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Howard ... not much ... only the rechargeables and those lights that are not yet available /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
... and the fancy blinking and room lighting stuff ... doesn't really belong here.

Every tinme I buy one of those I hate myself for throwing precious money in teh sewers, but then again ... I cannot stop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

bernie

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! After being a guest reader for a couple of months, I´m now "ready" to click the reply-button /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ...

I´m quite interested in LedLenser products, because they are relativly easy to get in Germany ... and my first led light was a LedLenser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif .

Now a Arc AAA is on my Keychain and a Streamlight Jr.Luxeon is ordered, but a "competetive" LedLenser could make me weak again ... if the price on ebay is ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok, the optic of the magic look familiar to me, could it be this one below?
175070_LB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

It´s an "Kollimatoroptik" sold by Conrad (www.conrad.de, Art.Nr. 175070 - 14), a large shop for technical and electronical stuff here in Germany. This optic produces a nice spot without sidespill, much closer than the usual (smaller) narrow beam optics. The outer diameter is 36 mm ... there is a datasheet at the Conrad site, but it´s only the italian version. *g*

I´ve used three of these optics for a LiIon powered bike light, so I know them well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I think, LedLenser uses this optic, that are on the market quite a time, it would be the easiest way for them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...

@Kiessling: btw, do you know, if the V² (3x AAA Version) use some sort of regulation circuit, or is it a simple direct drive?

And ... what´s the estimated price for the "Magic"? (retail/ebay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

thx, rantanplan

Kiessling

Flashaholic
welcome.gif
to the club of the empty wallets ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Same here ... fire refueled by LedLenser, moved on to something better but never could let go the old Leners ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The most "competetive" ones are the Chipfire V16 ( Ireally like it) which is waterproof and lithium powered next to being the single most elegant light in my collection as well as the V² Lithium, for more info look here.

All the new V²-Series are not that bad except that they are not regulated and not waterproof. If these two are no problem for you, the V² is really an acceptable light.
If you like narrow beams, the LedLenser Magic is also your ticket ... it is not driven too hard (about 600mA from the battery), so it should last quite long on 2 x C-Cell.

This optic of yours .... could be or could not be. I cannot tell. Looks quite the same to me, but then again, all optics somehow do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif, except when they have a whole in the middle (this one does not).

Price for the Magic is about 60-90€.

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
They are pretty new here, too. The 1x123 is not yet officially out IMHO and the 2xC came about two weeks ago. Yoou might want to ask Coast if they can order it, they should be able to do so.
bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
btw, here's a pic of the Chipfire V16 I mentioned earlier in this thread, and ... in almost every other LedLenser thread I opened /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif :

V16_art.jpg

2 x BR435 3V lithium batteries, watertight double o-ring sealed, solid brass body with tough powder coat finish, lanyard or split-ring hole.
Quite dim, too.

bernhard

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LedLenser Magic 2 x C-Cell regulated LuxIII

Bernard -

If you don't quit talking about these LedLensers I'm going to have to get one.

A co-worker that is phenomenal at finding deals got a coupon and a discount for a couple Eddie Bauers. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned those are LedLensers. They sure look the same. One of his is a little smaller than M!n!-Mag size and projects a cool looking beam that looks the moon...zero sidespill. Nice for desk diving.

One of the LEOs (I'm not one) I work with liked my ARC AAA. He bought an Eddie Bauer that is slightly shorter. He likes it quite a bit. When I told him it was German made he smiled and said, "That explains why it is such a good light."

I like Chipfire. Maybe a nice light for a Phd.? Majic is interesting with that 40mm optic.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Hey Ice, do yourself a favout and don't buy those, except the V16 and maybe the V² Lithium /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, otherwise you might start hating me and we sure wouldn't want that ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ll_v2_series.jpg

ll_v2_series_bezels.jpg

Your co-worker might have bought a V2 Mini Moon or another light with their aspheric lens that produces this beam:

ll_v8t_-_moon_-_aaa.jpg

(look in the middle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

They have several of those 1 x 5mm lights that have this lens, there is even one that can be focussed from Moon Beam to Spot. This spot is quite tight for a singel 5mm without a huge reflector, here's a shot compared to the Arc AAA:

ll_v1spot_-_aaa.jpg

The light is the V1 Zoom Lenser that runs on 1,5V button cells:

ll_v1_series.jpg

... hope I scared you enough!

bernhard

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an obvious memory problem. Why else would I say it looked like the moon? ...'cause that's what it's called? ...'cause I think I recognize that beamshot? It really does look like the moon in person. OK. He got the V2 Moon and the V2 Triplex with the E.B. Logo.

Yowza, yowza, yowza. Yer sceerin' me. I really think I want that V16.

- Jeff

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Jeff, the V16 is good if you can appreciate a dim light.
Look here:

ll_aaa_-_v16.jpg

bernhard

tvman

Newly Enlightened

Icey & Kiessling,

It was only the V2 Triplex that I got from EB. I knew before the purchase that it used some funky type of batteries like an N or LR1. The sales guy said it used AAs but I did not correct him being a polite person as you know I am (yea right). Not too crazy about spending 3 bucks or so for LR1s but it was half price with the batteries included and still had gift certificate to use.

Took a look on web at the V16 but $120 is about $100 out of my budget.

Kiessling,

That Arc LE aaa really kicks butt compared to V16.

Icey, You know me - cheap - considering my favorite place to shop is yard sales. Like the Casio 2.5" color tv for 25 cents (only having to replace the batteries and already had an multi plug AC adapter for indoors).

Take care.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Hey tvman!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
$120 for a V16 sounds strange, maybe you are talking of the V2-16Chips? This is the big 16x5mm sucker in the pics above.
The V16 should be about $20 or so.

And yes, the Arc AAA outguns the V16. It is one of the dimmest LED ligths I use, one has to know that before buying it, that's why I say it so often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernhard

tvman

Newly Enlightened

thanks for the correction, Kiessling. You are exactly right it was the 16 chips. $20 sounds much better. About how much is the ARC LE AAA? thanks for the info.

tvman

Newly Enlightened

Oops!! I did indeed get another led from EB. The EB "moon" type that Icey was referring to is a 3 AAA led flashlight/lantern combo shorter that a mag but larger diameter than the V1. They were discontinued by EB about 2 years ago. I have some more at home and I'll check the description. They were pretty cheap - originally $12 and on sale for $6 minus $1.20 (20% off coupon).

Kiessling

Flashaholic

shouldn't that be 3 x N-Cell ? V2 Moon me thinks it is called.
One that looks like the V2 Triplex but has an aspheric lens in the head and uses 1 x 5mm LED? This one is not too cool ... too big for what it does.
bernhard