Does Radio Shack carry leds sufficient for flashlight use?

aksim

Newly Enlightened
Not led flashlights but for use in flashlight mods.

A non techy here I get way over my head reading about the flashlight mods.

2-Attitudes
2-Pelican L1
1-Arc AAA Green
1- Infinity Green

Enjoy them all.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've used their red, orange and yellows in Mini-mags. The orange and red were ok, if not casting a particualrly smooth beam. The yellow sucked.

Joe S.

jeff1500

Enlightened
What's the orange RS led like? I've been looking for a two cell led. So far the best one I've found is a yellow 23000 mcd from Hosfelt electronics. It's not bad for the middle of the night but it's no where near as bright as a white 5600.

I ground the top off a red 5000 mcd RS led to make it flat and polished it with tooth paste on a metal plate. It turned into a flood light with no rings. Still not much light.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadun:
Not led flashlights but for use in flashlight mods.

A non techy here I get way over my head reading about the flashlight mods.

2-Attitudes
2-Pelican L1
1-Arc AAA Green
1- Infinity Green

Enjoy them all.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try Hosfelt as a possible source.

HOSFELT.COM

Wayne

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I'm a little late getting into this discussion, but I just recently took some parts from Radio Shack (2" square PCB boards, some resistors, and 3 Orange 12,000mcd LEDs) and converted a Coleman 2D light, mostly for kicks. Doesn't look nearly as bright as my Dorcy or Rebel, but when I take a picture of the lights with my digital camera the red light definately looks brighter. BTW, I say red, it's definately NOT orange. Very red.
smile.gif

I tossed together a little page comparing my four lights.. Four LED light comarisons.

Cheers.

StuU

Enlightened
I started out with RS leds. The yellow is miserable. The jumbo red is OK for close-up specialized activities such as astronomy. The jumbo orange which I installed in a 2AA Garrity is good for getting around a dark house at night but is otherwise pretty useless- especially outdoors.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'll add my two cents.

I have a 'Radio Shack' LED flashlight. It's a "Flash Bright" (used to be sold at KMart). It is idenical to the Turtle Light case, color and all. I modded it and installed 7 white Radio Shack LEDs in place of the bulb. It still has one of the most pleasing beams judged by color. A little on the high blue side, but very bright and covers a large area too.