Dogs sensitive to red LEDs?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased an Inova 24/7 for fun and I was toying around with the different combination of LEDs and recalled that deers are not sensitive to red lights. I switched my 24/7 to the red and guess what? I shined it into my dog's eye and she did not even blink? She seemed to be immune to the red LED. In other combination except red she will turn away. This is the first time I managed to see into her iris and beyond.

Anyone with similar experiences?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
In the movie "The Andromeda Strain", one of the women does have an epileptic seizure when the red rotating or blinking lights come on in the hall.
Maybe this is just a stereotype, or maybe it has some basis in fact.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is flashing red panties. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

I am not sure about that but it is interesting to note. I guess we should change the red flashes on an ambulance to blue or something other than red.

cy

Flashaholic
I just attached an RGB arc AAA to my dog's collar for night walks. Works great!!! I'm going to try a Red arc AAA next.

The colors including red doesn't seem to affect my 90lb German Sherpard. He's trained to work off lead. A very smart dog with a wonderful temperment.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Marty Weiner said:
Isn't there an effect on certain epileptic humans where flashing red lights can cause a seizure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seizures can also be induced in susceptible people by white lights flashing at a certain rate.

Brightnorm

14C

Enlightened
Flashing lights can have an effect on the brain..the frequency of the flash rather than the wavelength of the light is the trigger. Not to say wavelength never has effects.

An epileptic CAN have a light triggered siezure...a "normal" person can be "entrained" by flashing lihgts.

I heard once that motorcycle headlights were cycled at 4 Hz. because it grabs your attention.

I have heard that dogs are color blind but have never seen any studies that prove it.

Greta

Flashaholic
Why would you want to shine ANY light into your dog's eyes. Just sounds kinda cruel to me... whether they respond to it or not. My dog chases my red LED... if I shine it on the floor... not in her eyes.

14C

Enlightened
For the same reason that the parents made the little boy wear the bunny suit in A Christmas Carol?

OOps..never mind that was to make a parent happy...

Negeltu

Enlightened
Flashing lights can entrain the brain.... to produce certain brain waves. Same with binaural beats... I use binaural beats everyday. Fun to experiment with and I get good results.

stockwiz

Enlightened
Dogs will laser pointers depending on the breed.... our black lab does, at both the 635 NM and 645 NM wavelengths, proof that they can at least detect the wavelength of light..

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Why would you want to shine ANY light into your dog's eyes. Just sounds kinda cruel to me... whether they respond to it or not. My dog chases my red LED... if I shine it on the floor... not in her eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Sasha,

Don't get me wrong. The reason why I tried shining my red LED into my dog's eyes was because my dog always turned it's head away whenever I shined my lights to look at it. If red LED is proven to have no effect on the dog then wouldn't it be better? In fact I just tried it on another dog in the wild, it too have no response to the red LEDs. I got quite very near to it and the LEDs was pointing right into it's eyes and the dog seem not to flinch or blink. Isn't that a good news? How can that be cruel?