Hyperwhite 8mm LEDs

cdoyle

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I just found this forum listed yesterday on Google. I was looking for some 8mm hypewhite type LEDs. Actually what I'm looking for would be something similar to what this guy was selling in this thread.
coolwhite LEDs

but after reading all 20 pages of this post, it looks like the guy just disappeared. I've tried emailing him about the LEDs and he doesn't respond. I'm not even sure if all the people who ordered from him, got thier LEDs

What I want to do is actually contruct the LED 9006 foglights that this guy built using these LEDs, but I can't seem to find LEDs that are bright enough. Anyone have any ideas where I can get LEDs like that? He was selling them for $3 each.

I did find these on the web but they don't have a price listed, so I'm sure you have to buy like 100 of them or something like that. Plus they don't have a color temperature rating listed either.

I hope someone can help, I really want to try and build those foglights. I'm not sure if this forum sends a email when a reply is given. If you reply can you send me an email at [email protected] and let me know.

Thanks
Chris.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for the record, I DID get my order from him.

I believe you can also find those LEDs at Quickar. The guys name is Mark Hannah, who I have dealt with many times.

Here, direct link.

cdoyle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replying, glad you got your LEDs from him.

Thanks for the link to Quickar, they do have the 8mm white. The ones they have only have a 20 degree viewing angle though. The ones you bought from here had a 50 didn't they? I'm not sure what would be better for the foglights project.

Since I first posted this, I had found a couple more places that say they carry them.

Here is one place I found that had them, for actually pretty cheap
http://www.elexp.com/opt_8r4d.htm

The only problem is the site looks a little shady, they don't offer online ordering, you have to call and email them.

The LEDs you got were they pretty bright?

thanks again for the link
Chris.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I don't recall the beam angle on the LEDs. It was wide, so 50 degrees sounds about right.

Mark Hannah also requires an email for ordering, and he's not shady, but I have no idea about the site you listed.

Also, I remember reading briefly about the mod you mentioned, but I don't remember the specifics. I do have to wonder, though, whether a luxeon with wide optic might not do the trick.

cdoyle

Newly Enlightened
I'm not really familar with luxeons, are they a brighter type of LED or something totally different?

Thanks again
Chris.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
cdoyle,

They're much brighter than the 5mm or 8mm LEDs. You can see the Quickar site, also lumileds.com, or just do some reading on the forum. Just about everybody here uses them.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Luxeons are high-power LEDs - available in 1, 3, and 5-watt versions. A typical 5mm LED is around 75 milliwatts, by comparison. Multi-die 8/10mm LEDs are typically around 350 milliwatts.

Luxeons tend to be the favorite around here for projects, but do some research before you jump into this nonsense...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I just have to wonder how (electrically) durable the multi-die LEDs are - power dissipation is power dissipation, and typical resin-packaged LEDs don't deal with heat very well at all.

liquidium

Newly Enlightened
Quickar has 8mm units on ebay. I sent an email asking the name of the manufacturer (was wondering if they were ISP), but they refused to answer - said it was a "trade secret". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif How ****ing dumb.

chuck30mi

Newly Enlightened
I don't know exactly what white LED you are looking for but www.lsidiodes.com sells 8000 mcd and 12000 mcd. I bought some and they work fine for me. However, their website (or somewhere between they and me) was not working today.

rdshores

Enlightened
The 8mm I got off from ebay are not high power ones. They are the same power as a 5mm, 25ma. The high power ones (100ma and 150ma)from ISP have big square sections on the leads to act as heat sinks. The cheap 25ma ones have regular leads the same size as the 5mm.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
rdshores said:
The 8mm I got off from ebay are not high power ones. They are the same power as a 5mm, 25ma. The high power ones (100ma and 150ma)from ISP have big square sections on the leads to act as heat sinks. The cheap 25ma ones have regular leads the same size as the 5mm.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just received samples of ISP's 5mm 100mA LEDs.
When I find where I buried the leads to my power supply, I'll add a page to my website about them, and provide the URL in this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Moat

Enlightened
Excellent, Craig - thanks! Quite low Vf on the white (3.04) makes the efficiency look not too bad. 29,300 mcd would make a darn good "throw" for a 5mm, it seems - maybe lacking in side-spill, tho? Looks like nice spectral dispersion/diffusion, too...

LEDMANIA

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting LED indeed! 29,000mcd @ 96ma. with 3.04vf means this stuff is a strong contender against Nichia LEDs at least in the "realm" of the 5mm arena..The next thing for me to wait and see is when Djpark use those LEDs on his stock Arc aaa and compare the brightness to his existing earlier version multiple die LEDs....Wooohooo!!Its geting better and better!!!
Paging Djpark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I examined one of the GaN LEDs, and it indeed uses a single die (light-emitting chip) that's square, and according to the supplied documentation and the website, measures "24 mil" on each side. I do not know how large a "mil" is, so please do not ask. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*Retired*
0.024" = 24 mils, or 1 mil, equals 1/1000" of an inch, or for example, the edge of a penny is about 60 mils, so a bit over 1/3" the thickness of a US Penny.

The lenses of LEDs make the dies look much bigger than they really are. Even the side is a magnifier.