Flashlight tripod holder:

juancho

Enlightened
I have a camera tripod that I use a lot. Mine is a Vanguard with detachable shoes. I bought it from Cabela's and the extra shoes can be bought for less than $ 10.00.
I have extra shoes that are attached to my camera, camcorder, spotting scope and heavy 8x56 binoculars.

I just have made a wooden adaptor to hold a flashlight. It consists of a piece of wood 4" long by 1½" wide and ¾" deep (dimensions are not important). I drilled 3 holes touching each other in the ¾ deep part and opened to a slot with a rat tail file.
Through the slot I passed an automotive hose clamp and finished by attaching the adaptor to the shoe using a wooden screw and thick washer.

To protect the flashlight against scratches, wrap a couple of turns of masking tape around the body where the clamp touches it, introduce the flashlight through the loop, and secure using the clamp screw.

Now in the tripod the light can be directed anywhere.
I made this to use in my fishing cabin (no electricity) with a Streamlight TT -2 "D" that has a 10 LED's setting, that way I can supplement my kerosene hurricane lamps.

By exchanging the Streamlight TT for a Mag Charger I can have a free hand spotlight to use on the Porch of the cabin that overlooks a wildlife feeding dump as I have explained in my thread # 605844 Bear trail and Mag Charger.

I think that is a very useful gadget (I call it Juancho's flashlight holder) for when a black-out is expected.

Juan C.

Juan, how you doin'? Lovin' my 6C, thank you! FYI, the Longbow lights have built-in screw holes in the tailcaps for tripod mounting. You should check them out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

juancho

Enlightened
sidespill: I happen to own both ultrapod, the big one is good for my camcorder and the small one for cameras, they both have a velcro strap so you can attach them to branches and use with the self timer to take your own picture in the woods.
I started using the small one in 1980, so they have been around a while.
They will hold items that already have a treaded hole, no good for flashlights except for the Longbow.

Juan C.

sidespill

Enlightened
juancho,
I actually have a longbow but i was actually going to get one of these for my camcorder/camera and maybe use it for my light sometimes.
Which one do you like better? Are they different enough to justify buying both?

juancho

Enlightened
sidespill: They are both great!! The big one will easy hold a heavy camcorder and the small it is a jewel, they have in the end piece a ball and treaded shank that is the part that go into your camera, I actually have two of the small size and converted one to hold a CMG reactor, what I did was to epoxie a Weaver size 45 base to the shank (after drilling a hole) and using a Weaver ring (with a plastic bushing) to hold the light.
If you want to do a better job, you could after drilling the hole in the base, tap it to the proper tread, that way is not need to epoxie it, and you can use the tripod for camera too.
The way I did it is only good for holding the light.
Remember size 45 Weaver base (which is thick enought) and Weaver ring that will take any light up to 1" in diameter.
1" will hold lights like the Surefire 6.P.
Before buying anywhere else check the prices in Campmor, which I think is www.campmor.com is a camping supply store in N.J.
Last time I check there the small one was going for $8.00

Juan C.

juancho

Enlightened
sidespill: I just check at Campmor, the small ultrapod is $8.99 (# 82060) and the big one Ultrapod II is $13.99 (#82059)
I highly recommend them both.

Juan C.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Juancho,

If you can, please post a picture of your setup. I am a photographer by profession and this may be a great setup.

juancho

Enlightened
pjandyho: I am sorry I don't have a camera, I can do a drawing and send it by fax if you give me a fax #.

In another thread that come after mine " Attaching a 2or three cell light to a tripod" by Glenn, he specify (just a temporary mounting to a camera tripod with common household items readily avalaible)

I think that my piece of wood and clamp is still quite simple, as is not need to cut the slot in the wood if you want to make a holder quick and simple. Just attach the flashlight and clamp to the piece of wood.
I have made one of them holders with a nut that accept the tripod original screw, just drill a hole and epoxie a nut on the underside. The only possible problem is if the epoxie will let go of the nut, the flashlight will come crashing down.
That is why I prefer to remove the original machine screw and use a wood screw, with a washer to increase the area of bearing.

If you want more easy than this, you can forego the use of the automotive clamp and use masking tape to hold the flashlight to the piece of wood.

Juan C.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's ok Juan. I am already in the midst of designing something like this based on the description you posted. I just have to be a little creative that's all.

juancho

Enlightened
pjandyho: I just make one out of aluminum, about the same dimensions of the wooded one, I just drill and tap a hole in the solid alumminun for the shoe screw, and I use the automotive clamp to emcompass the flashlight and the bar of aluminum, no slot is needed.
It takes Mag Lites 3 D's and every thing down, P. T. Surge, P.t. 40, etc.

Juan C.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try creating nothing. Visit yout local music store and by all means bring your flashlight. The have plenty in stock that fit variuos "Microphones" of all types. Cheap too.
Now with you flashlight insterted in Mike holder (You just might have to put a little black tape on your light) you can mount your light ANY WAY you want. Adjustable boom stand or flex neck. Your imagination is the limit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif NO custom parts required. Also, I been there.done that (Cliche)

All them 123 type or aa lites fit standart mike holders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

They have ones for the bigger ones too (C cell) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif