EDC light to the rescue story...

K5Guy

Newly Enlightened
Last night around 9pm I was at a friends house. We were all on the back patio when heard a very loud crash and the sound of a car being pushed down the street. We all ran to the front of the house to see that a four-door car had run into an SUV that was parked on the side of the road. People who witnessed the crash said the guy was going around 60mph. The driver's side of his car impacted the rear of the SUV and the bumper of the SUV was less than a foot from the steering wheel of the car. The driver was inside, still conscious but bleeding heavily from his face and head. A guy pulled him out the window and immediately everyone started yelling for a flashlight. Well, being a flashaholic and all, and EDCing an Arc4+ of course I brought it out to light up the situation. Soon after an off-duty EMT from a few houses down arrived and took my Arc4+ and it ended up swapping hands a few times between a few people. I was glad I could help by providing a light but was slightly concerned that these guys who possibly had the drivers blood on their hands were handling my Arc4+. As it turned out the driver had minor injuries. He was very intoxicated and was probably in jail a few hours later. I cleaned and disinfected the light thoroughly afterwards but was still overall a little frustrated with what had happened. So, I suppose now I will have to EDC my usual, Arc4+ and ArcAAA, and a disposable light for such emergencies. Perhaps a Dorcy AAA would do nicely. Then I could hand it off and not even worry about getting it back. Hmmm…EDCing two lights amazes most non-flashaholics, EDCing a third as a loaner light would be even harder for them to understand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So am I just crazy or has anyone else felt the need to carry a loaner light?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
After my first BBP (Blood Borne Pathogen) class, I had the same thought and wondered what Ambulance guys do. Do they stick to disposables and everything just go into the contaminated bag?

I keep my maglights as loaners for the neighbors.

GregR

paulr

Flashaholic
I generally carry a few Countycomm keychain lights in my belt pack but for that situation you'd want something brighter. A PT Rage or Blast might be a good choice, or some cheap 2AA light.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...The only time a non-professional (i.e. non-EMS/Fire Dept.) vehicle extraction should occur is if the person is not breathing, airway is blocked, etc. But that's off topic.

Decon: At work, I have a can of CLorox (or Lysol) disinfecting spray. The fire guys like the Clorox more...Spray the infected article, let sit, then rinse. If its metal, the chance for contamination is little. Plastic and porous materials can be bad.

--dan

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I thought this thread was for more mundane "rescues" like when my mother in law dropped the back of an earring on the kitchen floor. Out pops the ARC LSH and it's spotted in seconds. Or the dark stairwell when the overhead light went out and I popped my Dorcy Magnum AA (3 volt AA with Lux III) off my belt and illuminated two flights at a time.

But I like the REAAAAL rescues better.

Daniel

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
K5Guy,

Do not feel this way. Be glad that another soul was saved that way. I would feel happy to have helped instead of worrying about my lights getting stained by blood. An applause to you for having helped in that situation.

TonyBPD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
Well...The only time a non-professional (i.e. non-EMS/Fire Dept.) vehicle extraction should occur is if the person is not breathing, airway is blocked, etc. But that's off topic.

Decon: At work, I have a can of CLorox (or Lysol) disinfecting spray. The fire guys like the Clorox more...Spray the infected article, let sit, then rinse. If its metal, the chance for contamination is little. Plastic and porous materials can be bad.

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]

You took the words out of my mouth on your first sentence.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Vionex wipes work really well for any contaminated gear. Like when you forget to put a glove on your stethescope head, or handle your EDC light with bodily fluids on your gloves.

jbroker83

Enlightened
I like to have a Mag 3D hanging around to let people "borrow." Since I have no real feelings towards the light.....I could care less if I don't get it back or if it gets dinged up....and most people think the Mag 3D is a great light, so when I let people borrow it, they usually resond with a "whoa, cool"