Some new reflector mods & comments

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I designed a 38 mm diameter reflector based on the parabolic formula I am usng in my newest PR cloned reflector ( All credit and no blame go to Pelican and specifically a real gent who works there for allowing me "inside" back with the start of the PR series). Anyway, I have made one head in anticipation of getting a small and expensive prototype run of these reflectors done for evaluation and play. This built to suit host is shown below next to a 27 mm PR (I should probably start calling it a McR-27 since it is based on the PR but made for me off my own dwg) :

3and1-reflectors.jpg

Well with the new reflector, I wanted to see how well it lent itself to being chopped and fitted to other hosts. My next experiment was to see how it would do in ArcMania's SF3 which sports a 30 mm optic that just doesn't float my boat. I chopped one of these down considerably to the 30 mm OD:

SF3-ArcMania.jpg

The results are very satisfactory. I should back up a bit and mention that the 38 mm when compared to a McR-27 gives a slightly tighter beam and on the same LED source (DB917) yielded a 4800+ lux at one meter in comparison to the 2400 lux from the 27. I believe it is safe to assume that as the 38 gets peared down towards the 27, both the beam and lux will approach that of the 27; it's the same reflective surface after all. So anyway, in the ArcMania SF-3, the beam is tighter and presumably brighter than a 27 mm host would be. I like seeing the head filed to capacity with a light engine and not the white frame of the 30 mm optic.

I wanted to see how this 38 would act on a 5W and instead of making a 5W ES module for the 38 proto head, I decided to get some more "chopping" experience as well as use a dead KL 2 that PK had given me. This would also give me a chance to compare the 38 on a more even platform with the KL6:

Head-On.jpg

At 33 mm, the chopped 38 works well with the 5W Luxeon, after lifting it up .015" to alleviate the center null.

KL2-5-KL6.jpg

Although the reflector is not as deep as the KL6 as evidenced in the above photos, the spill beam is still quite impresive as one would hope with a 5W and the reflected beam is about the same in angle as that of the KL6. The chopped 38 has a sharper beam edge and I assume this is due to the KL6's reflector blending more with more of its reflected light merging into the spill area. The lux readings are likely indicative of this as well but since I know nothing of the relative flux of the two LED's hostd in these two lights, any evaluations are subject to assumptions. The lux readings at one meter that I got were 2030 for the KL6 and 2470 for the chopped 38. The M3 body hosting the KL2 mod has a two stage switch so it also measured a 240 lux on low level. The driver in the KL2 mod is a DB917 and the resistor in the tail switch is 30 ohm.

So after playing with this reflector, I have made some observations. First and most important to me, it works so it wasn't a waste of time and money {wiping the sweat from brow}. I don't know what alloy was used for this short run but it's the type of Al that is pretty gummy to machine. It's ultimately machnable to be sure but I have contacted my rep to the manufacturer to find out if any futute reflectors can be made from an easier to machine material. No word back yet. The reflective material used is very bright but prone to scratching and I need to learn how to get a cleaner "cut" at the edge of the reflective material as well as keep any of the "galling" Al burrs from encroaching into the reflective area. In both examples above, there are some scratches in the reflector at its edge which would certainly be nice to avoid!

I have mentioned to a few people that I think this reflector might be pretty cool in a mag host with a ring of 3 mm or 5 m LED's surrounding it and filling in the gap between head and reflector. I am completely ignorant of the Mag as host and don't welcome the learning curve of getting up to speed on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif If time were to permit, I would like to visit maybe using George80's FatBoy with a pot on a LUX III in this reflector coupled with one of Dat2Zips constant current drivers on an array of 3 mm LED's for the task light aspect of the light. Could be a fun contest entry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One final comment on reflectors, I have also designed but not sampled a 25 mm reflector based on a different parabolic curve:
McR-25.jpg

I am curious as heck as to what beam might result and I designed the reflector around the NX05 external dimensions in the sense that it could be chopped down with one solution being a drop in replacement for the current optic hosting lights. Being Al and having many flat steps for chucking in a lathe, this is my idea of a "chop to fit" reflector for modding use. I designed this reflector prior to two significant pieces of information that I now possess. One is the machinabiity of the Al used but it is very likely that this can be overcome but I am still waiting on word. The second consideration is the release of the so17xa which certainly does a wonderful job for its size! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I have no idea if my design would come close to parity with the so17xa or if it might even provide an other viable alternative. There are two things I do know for sure. 1) light would come out the front end efficiently but shaped n a beam that might be laughable. 2/) it could cost me a fair chunk of change to find out unless the manufacturer is wiling to cut me some slack on a small and affordable first article test; predicated on the promise to commit to a couple thousand dollar order if the FA is acceptable. I am currently pursuing #2. In fact many might propose I have done #2 with this post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Great writeup Don! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

These look like they are really working out for you.
Im not a fan of optics what so ever, and really like that I am seeing alot more reflector options comming out in the last few months.

Your idea of the 3mm leds surrounding one of these in a mag is GREAT.
That mod you did, thats designed like that, has always been one of my favorite mods of yours.
I have thought about trying it before, but now, with all these great new parts at our disposal, this might be easier.

George has some really nice circuits comming out.
Waynes new "BB like" converters will be alot more effecient, and great for the smaller lights.
Gadget Lover and yourself, have really come up with some great dual stage switches.
Then you showed us that there are alternatives to reflector focusing/flooding techniques.

All these combined, make for some really extrodinary lights to come in the future.

-John

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

I know you mentioned that the new reflector was not designed around the LuxV, but to get better performance out of the LuxIII. Still, I can't help but be VERY intruiged by performance with the LuxV. I have the feeling that more may be interested in this as well. Your 27mm version already outperforms the E2e, so a larger reflector with a step up in the LED is a logical step.

One thing is for sure, these will be good sellers. I know that for my purposes, I will always like a spot beam with a nice corona. I'll definitely have to check this out with both Luxeons.

The chopable smaller reflector is a good idea as most here seem to need some type of modification done to the so17xa anyway.

Aloha!

BTW, I have my trusty McGizmo Tester's Hat at the ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Is your McR-27 an exact clone of the PR or are there some differences? I am thinking of how it performs with SE and LD LEDs in it.
If there is a difference ... can I order some of those as drop-ins for existing McLux PR and PR/T heads?

And I second BigHonu, definitely very interested in your McR-38 and a 5W ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

As to the little optic-replacement reflectors ... they will have to compete directly with the so17xa for price and weight, so IMHO this might be a daring adventure to produce them. Although I am in for a couple for sure, and I am sure others are as well, so ... I dunno. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway ... I applaud you as loud as I can, Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bernhard

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent, Don! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dang, I better grab one of those discontinued KL-2s for my M3, afterall. This is the first I've been interested in a 5W for almost a year.

Those reflectored heads look great counterbalanced by those yummy flared McE2S switches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. I am waiting on some sample windows, one of which to place in the proto head and then when I get the time, I will try to close in on the dimensions required to properly button up the 38 in the head. I think I have it nailed down but this stuff is more difficult than one might expect! You have to allow for tolerances obviously but then there is the issue of axial slop for the Lux III and 5W not to mention needing the O-rings to seat and seal in the full population. Some of you have seen where this can fail! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif At some point, I will take my drawings and get some heads quoted. These are likely to be expensive due to their OD.

Bernhard, the so17xa is an awesome, inexpensive and soon to be readily available reflector. I have intended all along to have a 1" OD head as part of the McLux Aleph offering but I want to view all possible candidates prior to commiting to a design. I also would like to offer something different and not necessarily better than what the so17xa can provide. Once I get the ES parts, modding existing E series heads with the so17xa will be pretty much a no brainer. A 1" OD head can host a larger diameter reflector than 17 mm. I am keeping a few things under my belt but think I have been pretty much forth coming with information. On the subject of a 1" OD head, I'll tease you with a picture but no further comment at the moment:

magAA-so20xa.jpg

Although not a drop in, certainly viable in a 1" head as evidenced in the Mag AAA above. If, and it's a big if, my own design could proove to offer something different than the so17xa or be more friendly than the so20xa in a head designed specifically around it, I want to know before I choose a path here. It has been mentioned by Chop in another thread that the IMS reflectors have friendly and harder to damage reflective surfaces than other metal reflectors we have been working with. True story! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif However, once a light is successfully built, this surface is protected and not germane to the performance of the light. In a small head, I am just as interested if not more so, in the added benefit of the Al reflectors as part of the "thermal bank" and relief system. In the KL2 mod above, if the reflector were plastic, I believe the build would suffer in thermal responsibility.

Regarding the new McR-27, to the best of my knowledge and based on some information that I am not comfortable in divulging, the reflector is very close in formula if not identical to the original PR reflectors which were manufactured by a different firm. I can't and won't say more on this matter as I am not the owner of some of this information. There are many of the original PR reflectors in service now and more of them already sitting in kit form both on my shelf and Wayne's shelf. These McR-27's will be phased in with the Aleph-1 heads that are in process at the moment. I have made some comparisons in beam distribution using my proto and you can't tell one from the other. Since the McR-27's were made to my dimensions, I have not needed to modify any of them so I don't know if they will also behave in the less than ideal manner that the 38 has. I have some trays of PR's that require a special remodification for use in the LongBow-PR heads that are slowly moving along in progress. (might be more of a moot point now with the so17xa's going into stock heads but then again for throw.....)

Anyway, regarding the new McR-27, there seems to be some indication that it is a brighter reflector than its predecessor. Since I still have PR and PR-T kits as does Wayne, I have intentionally chosen to remain ignorant as to what, if any improvement, might be found in the new guys over the established product. I figured I'd just let the Aleph 1 benefit if there in fact some gains to be had. In the spirit of full disclosure and the pursuit of truth, I would be happy to send a "random" sample of both the original PR and the McR-27 and heck we should throw in the so27xa once we have what is known to be the production version, to someone who would be in a position to do a valid test in terms of light transmission and distribution. I would think these parts should go to someone with no vested interest or bias in the results who is also capable of a controlled test. Now, how much variation would be present across a population of these reflectors might invalidate any findings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif None of us would offer up a Luxeon sample upon which all information should be based! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif (I have seen CPF members attribute to a flashlight model line, the virtues of a single luxeon sample and it frankly drives me nuts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

EDIT: Britt, before you snag a KL2, make sure you have the means to convert it to something else! I found it a handy test host but I wasn't thrilled with taking the 38 mm down to 33 mm and relinquishing all of those photons back to spill! I have some other ideas and possible plans for the 38 beyond the E series tubes but that's one of those not to be discussed, vapor ware issues at present. A hint to some of the thoughts would be a 1" od tube cpable of 18650 cells in addition to the 17 mm cells. I don't think Pila should have all of the fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Yeah right, I have a new part time job (for real) that I can just slip in with the current 7 day a week load and add to it more builds and mods and there will be plenty of time for all of these ideas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif If I were to blow off CPF time and ignore PM's and E-mails maybe I could get somewhere but where's the fun in that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Well one way or the other you can at least count on me for some hot air and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Is your McR-27 an exact clone of the PR or are there some differences? I am thinking of how it performs with SE and LD LEDs in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that question, even more as it seems there are side emitting luxIII's to be available in near future. (Check thread about new binning in the led-forum)

Chrisse

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Don. In my excitement, I had already forgot what you wrote about turning it down. I am only a chimp, after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I am endeavoring to practice patience and temper my outbursts of enthusiasm for all the really neat stuff that comes out of your mind and workshop. But, it is so challenging /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is very exciting news for fans of your SF E and L series mods.

I'll be inline when the day comes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

McGizmo

Flashaholic
guys,

The McR-27 will likely behave exactly the same on the SE as does the PR. As an aside though to the flood crowd, the so17xa does a nice job on the LD's that are stock in the SF heads! Mixes the colors in a nice blend and gives you a useful center weighted flood beam. Don't forget that the LD's or BatWings do put out a significant amount of light off axis which is caught and redirected by the reflectors! Too bad there aren't some LD's in the high flux Lux III program! With the EOS system, these could be real sleepers in reflector packages! Where are the "hot" 1W's these days? Hummmmm?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the chop to fit design for the 38! Hope you get positive news on the Al situation.

K-T

*Moderator*
Don, very impressive work you've done there. :speechless:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Don,
Nice work yet again! Very impressive!!! I am enjoying my /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif and watching a mad scientist and his lathe turn out some real nice stuff!

Keep it up!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Latest posts