Ultra Violet Mini Keychain Flashlight (385nm) Q.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Ultra Violet Mini Keychain Flashlight (385nm)

Yes, if that's the light I think it is, it's a crap quality Photon II clone with a constant-on slide switch. They're available in various other colors besides UV as well.

I don't know whether constant-on is really desirable in a UV coin light anyway, since UV is bad for your eyes and I don't see when you'd want to leave it on for long periods. Countycomm has a UV squeeze light which is adequate for looking at anti-counterfeiting marks, charging up GITD markers, or whatever. You can also take one of their $1.00 slide switch keychain lights and swap out the LED for a UV one.

If you're thinking of going scorpion hunting or something like that, realistically, none of these lights are anywhere near bright enough. You need a big multi-LED light or one with a UV fluorescent tube.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
As far as I can tell, this is a clone of the Photon II, and it has both momentary squeeze on/off and a small slide switch on the top for continuous on/off. I have one of these flashlights, but it's way too similar to the Photon II to put it on my website without getting in trouble.

Let's see if I can get a picture of it...BRB...

p385-1.jpg

A photograph of the flashlight itself.
The constant on/off switch is visible in this picture as a small square block near the front of the flashlight.

p385-3.jpg

And a photograph of the flashlight's beam from ~12".
Wavelength is too short for me to measure or to perform a beam profile analysis of. That bright magenta color you see here was added by the camera; in reality, the beam would appear a dull, whitish-purple color.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
385nm beats 400nm for uv aplications.
I have a 400nm led in a dorcy aaa.
it puts out more visible light than my 7 led 385nm light.
it is no where near as effective as the 385nm 7 led light.
it is a waste of a good dorcy aaa.

turtle

Newly Enlightened
Hi thanks for the replies and the pics of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They helped me a lot. So does 7 of these small keychain LED's equal the 7 UV LED flashlight? The two products ARE from the same dealer.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet the keychain light is over driven with new batteries.
so 7 new keychain lights on at once would be brighter for a little while

except the 3 aa flashlight has a reflector.

I would not want to feed the keychain lights with coin cells.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the uv led's have a limited life span. I forget how long.

the only thing I do not like about the 7 led uv flashlight is the switch. It seems flimsy but I have not broke mine yet.
and I use it quite a bit