A good book light or area lamp

UVLaser

Enlightened
A lot of LED book lights and area lamps (lanterns) use 5 mm LED bulbs in them.
Now, for the lanterns, it really doesn't matter because all LED lanterns have a diffusion lens or something like that; I don't remember the actual name.
Did any one ever buy a LED book light that has artifacts in its beam? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Instead of using 5 mm LED bulbs, why not use 10 mm LED bulbs? IMHO, they don't have artifacts and they are for close-range view.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I lost it, I used the UK 4AA ELED as a reading light. I would prop it on my chest and the enormous side spill would illuminate the pages very well. I got tired of waking up with marks on my forehead from falling asleep with my Tikka on my head.

*Retired*
I just bought one of those 1 dollar book lights and modified it. I stuck 20 Nichia's in it, and ran them at a much lower current for higher efficiencies, and tossed in a home made switcher.

dolbookl.jpg

wualta

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm, thanks for the reminder. I'd been meaning to get one of these for a long time. This application really calls for a line source of light instead of a point source, although sticking twenty or so LEDs in a line might approximate a line. CCFL forever!

Got mine online from an outfit called Lazar's Luggage.

Walt Brand

wualta

Newly Enlightened
Interesting-- haven't wandered into a Radio Shack store in at least a couple of years, so: I wandered. Right at the hand-over-yer-dough desk, hanging on pegs, were a whole flock of Phorm Light Voyagers with little LCD-panel alarm clocks built into the light heads... for $15. Only this variant isn't called a Light Voyager, it's a Light Traveler. Zact same light, just a bit thicker where the alarm clock is built in.

So now I have two of these things, and all I can say is, it would've been nice if they'd used a CCFL tube as long as the one in the Arc White (now updated with a lensed LED in place of the old Krypton bulb as the Double Bright), but it's still more than bright enough for the job, and the clever flip-n-fold stand-slash-battery holder makes it usable as a teeny table light. Runs fine on nimh cells. And oh yes, the Voyager and Traveler are equally bright.

I should point out that only SOME of the Radio Shack stores in my area are selling the light for the above price. What's life without instability?

Walt Brand