If you had 48 hours in New York

maverick

Enlightened
Hi guys! I've got a trip to New York coming up next month and was wondering what I should go and see? I've only got 48 hours there so nothing too long or tiring please. I just want to do some sight-seeing, so can you guys suggest some places to go? The statue of liberty, world trade center are currently on my list.

Thanks everyone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't been there since before 9/11. There's a half price ticket booth for broadway shows around 42nd and Broadway. Opens about 3 PM and sells tickets for that night, often very good seats as the best seats are sometimes reserved ahead (I guess by the privileged) and then not used. We got good prices on great seats for several shows that way. I got there about 15 minutes early and waited maybe 20 minutes for my tickets.

Of course, it interrupts whatever you were doing in the middle of the day.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I live in NYC, and have been to Ground Zero ONCE, when working with the Red Cross on the 1st anniversery of 9/11.

Take this as just one guys opinion - I don't want to see it. You will see folks profittiering from it - I don't like it. I lost 2 people I knew that day. I've become good freinds with a guy who lost his brother in law that day. I don't mind you going, but please remember and respect what happened that day. I work a few miles uptown, and I can still remember the smell (you could smell it at my house 11 miles away)

If you down there, I'd actually say SKIP the Statue of Liberty tour!!! Huh? If all you want to do is see a GREAT view of the Statue, walk down to "the Battery" (southern most part of the island - about 1/4 - 1/2 mile from "ground zero") and hop on the Staten Island Ferry - one of the best bargains in NYC - it's free!! It goes RIGHT by the Statue

Go see Central Park - go over by Tavern on the Green, see the sheep meadow, maybe go to the zoo, walk over to the Metropolitan Museaum of Art. or The Museaum of Natural History (opposite sides of the park at about 80th st). See Rockifeller (sp) Center, catch a Yankee Game, find a GOOD Resturant for dinner, have that slice of Pizza (NYC has great pizza - want to start an argument - ask folks where the BEST pizza is) - do NOT be afraid to take the subway - it's the fastest way to get around, and believe it or now, we WILL direct you if your lost - we can usually tell if your a tourist, and many (Most?) of us understand. Maybe go to Times Square - it's NOT the Times Square of old, but more like the Disney version of the same

The list I gave you will take well more than 48 Hours - pick and choose

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks. Nothing like the perspective of someone who actually lives there.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost a couple of friends in the tragedy. I'm sorry to hear that some are profiteering from others' grief or curiosity.

But I'd still go. I'd ignore the cheesy souvenir peddlers.

OTOH, I've been on that ferry and I agree, it's a fabulous view! I also made the mistake once of driving a car around The Battery whilelooking for a destination. Spent a couple of hours sitting in traffic, looking at the backs of delivery trucks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Since I'm not seeing things from the perspective of a first-time visitor, perhaps my priorities are a little different. Had I never seen the place before, I'd want to hit Times Square and do some of the other touristy things there.

But I won't rent a car the next time.

Delta_FHInX

Newly Enlightened
If there is one thing I regret about my last visit to the Big Apple, it was not visiting the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Now I also want to go to the Korean War Veterans Memorial.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
RE Renting a car in NYC - If your staying in Manhattan (aka "The City") I agree - in fact, most people who live in Manhattan don't have one.

Didn't realize that you had been to NYC before - I'll try to come up with a list for "People who have been to NYC before"

As for losing people I know at the WTC - I got lucky. The two folks that I knew were of the "ex-coworker" and "Gee, and I hadn't seen him in years" category. We actually got lucky - one friend worked right were the first plane impacted - he had gone down to the 40th floor for a cup of coffee. There was more than a bit of worry there, until we heard from him at about 2pm

I don't think you will find someone who is a long time NYC resident who didn't either lose a family member or friend, or at the most distant, have a good friend who lost someone

Of course, my father puts it in perspective - the attack was nasty, and at home, so it hurt, but he says it's nothing compared to D-day and the rest of WWII - if you were of that age, everyone lost someone they knew. He says "you move on" - that's his perspective, and I guess he earned it the hard way

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Oh! You mean New York CITY ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I spent a couple of years in Newburg, NY which is about 60-70 miles north of NYC. It's on the Hudson River and has several wineries to visit. On the south side of Storm King Mountain is West Point, which is a good place to visit.