need a source for round plexiglass or acrylic

gmarshall139

Newly Enlightened
I need a source for cut acrylic or plexiglass. It's to cover the led and optics in a headlamp I'm putting together, anyone know where to get it, or a good way to cut it round?

sidespill

Enlightened
I missed your other question about cutting. Low speed is the best way. I like handtools (coping saw for round) fine teeth is prefered. If you use powertools on acrylic the friction usually causes a lot of heat that melts the acrylic. however if you can set it to cut slow you can use em.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've machined acrylic with tabletop sanders and bench grinders (probably not a good way to do it, but I was experimenting as much as I was trying to make something useful), and it does, indeed, like to melt when heated.

I have found that quick cuts with a bandsaw using a small blade (1/8", fine teeth) is allright so long as you're not expecting a finished edge.

I've done an OK job polishing edges with a sequence of 300-grit then 600-grit sandpaper followed by quite a bit of time under a bench grinder buffing wheel. It's laborious, and I'm sure there's a better way.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
I've machined acrylic with tabletop sanders and bench grinders (probably not a good way to do it, but I was experimenting as much as I was trying to make something useful), and it does, indeed, like to melt when heated.

I have found that quick cuts with a bandsaw using a small blade (1/8", fine teeth) is allright so long as you're not expecting a finished edge.

I've done an OK job polishing edges with a sequence of 300-grit then 600-grit sandpaper followed by quite a bit of time under a bench grinder buffing wheel. It's laborious, and I'm sure there's a better way.

[/ QUOTE ]

after that, run it quickly over some 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3500 grit, and then it will buff up in seconds. If you don't want to spend a little time, try 1000, 2000, 3500

I like to do mine wet. Finer grit sandpapers can be found in the autobody sections of many places, even Wal-Mart.

Also check out http://www.astraproducts.com/i_arcoat.htm
for a Hard Coat Acrylic with dual sided Anti-Reflection coatings to enhance light transmission, much like UCL.
" Transmission 98% "