Strobe LED lights from Cabela's

Velcro

Enlightened
Strobe LED lights from Cabela\'s

Does anyone know who makes those "strobe" LED lights that Cabela's sells? I see these lights pop up here and there, mostly the red 2AA model. The other colors I haven't seen before. Also, does anyone know of any other place where you can get them?

i516055sq01.jpg

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Strobe LED lights from Cabela\'s

They're fairly common at gun shows. I've bought a couple for $3 or $4 each. They work as described. I've used them to mark overlength loads (long lumber in back of truck) and night bicycle.

JJHitt

Enlightened

The pictures look like they are 5 LED units. 99 cent stores frequently have a 3 LED model that runs for over 100 hours (200 claimed) on 2 AAs.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Beware: The blue unit MIGHT have green LEDs in it.
So be sure to check - and ask questions if necessary - before you buy.
I bought one on Ebay about a year ago that looks like the one in the photograph above, and behind the blue lens are dim yellow-green LEDs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

(Edit, a moment later)
Looks like the blue lens version has AMBER LEDs in it.

Velcro

Enlightened

Amber LED's behind a blue lens? Sheesh, what's the point of that.
399.gif

Craig, the guy you bought the light from, was his Ebay name (or nick) by any chance "stevensgarage"?

Negeltu

Enlightened

You can find those lights at Michaels... art and craft stores here in Oregon.. and Fred Meyer

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Velcro said:
Craig, the guy you bought the light from, was his Ebay name (or nick) by any chance "stevensgarage"?

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe his ebay name was stevensgarage, yes.
Let me go check...BRB...looks like it was him, yes. Let me check my email now...BRB...yup, and his name is Steve, according to the emails.

I did not return the light because he included one or two freebies, and I was satisfied with those.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have seen such lights at Sports Authority, and (occasionally) Wal-Mart.
They are always TRIPPLE A, not double A.

Velcro

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I believe his ebay name was stevensgarage, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought so, because he's the only one so far that is selling these lights on Ebay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He's selling one right now link. Are you going to put some pics of the light on your site?

Anyway, I just noticed that if you look at the lights on the Cabela site, near the price box, it says:

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">YOU MUST READ ITEM NOTES BELOW</font>

<font color="red">Item notes</font>
Lens color: Bulb color: Clear Green Green Green Amber Amber Blue Amber Red Red

[/ QUOTE ]
So the clear model has green LED's, the blue model has amber LED's and the other colors are true. Either the blue LED's are to expensive to them (them being the original manufacturer) or they want to keep people from pretending to be police or something like that. If so, why use a blue cover in the first place? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Oh well. I still want one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stainless, they are also available in 2 AA (a better buy, IMHO).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Velcro said:
...Are you going to put some pics of the light on your site?

[/ QUOTE ]
This light did not make it on my website specifically because it was dim and the color was all wrong.
If I can find it, I'll take some photographs and post them in this thread.

Larry1582

Enlightened

I had bought one of those off of EBAY one time. I bought the blue one and was very disappointed when the thing arrived and the leds were not blue or even white. I thought the one I got had green leds like Craig said, but they could have been amber. It's been so long I don't remember.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Just found the package...getting pictures...BRB...

bl1.jpg

Here's a picture of the unit in its original packaging.

bl2.jpg

Here's a picture of the unit itself.

bl3.jpg

And here's a picture of its LEDs glowing. No photoflash was used here.

Unit uses two AA cells, and comes with what appears to be a bicycle seatpost mount and a strap that affixes to your arm.
The LEDs are so dim you can stare directly into them while they're lit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The photograph makes them look significantly brighter than they actually are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I don't think they're much more than 20 or 30mcd apiece. I tried to measure the total light output with my light meter, and got no reading at all, even at the meter's lowest setting.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just checked the packaging, and there's no indication as to who manufactures it.
There are two "recyclable" symbols and a "CE" mark; and it reads "MADE IN CHINA" to the lower right of the symbols.
That is the only indication as to its manufacturer.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought some of those LED bike lights that use AA batteries from a seller at Ebaby about 6 months ago. I bought two of them from the same seller for a $1 each plus $4 priority shipping figuring I'd save on shipping. So I sent $1 + $1 + $4 = $6 and got nothing. A month later Ebaby comes down on me that they are canceling my account because I didn't pay the seller. Huh? I contact the seller and told him I paid, showed the PayPal transaction number and even sent him a scan of the PayPal transaction. Ebaby returns with a 24 hour notice to pay or I get canceled. I contact the seller and he emails me to pay up. Instead of doubling up on shipping costs the seller DOUBLED MY SHIPPING. And Ebaby backed him up so I had to pay $2 + $2 + $4 + $4 = $12 instead of the $6 that I thought was a fair price. The seller emailed me that the postage is how he makes his money. I was so mad, yes; I paid the seller but never left a feedback or bought from him again. I tossed the bike lights that I finally got 2 1/2 months later (so much for priority, it was sent first-class), in my hobby box and this is the first time I have pulled them out.

But that is another story. Here is the picture of my now dusty bike flasher light with red LED emitters that are medium bright at best. It sequences the light for continuous on, fast flash, slow flash, slow flash to the left, slow flash to the right, fast flash to left, fast to right, flash back and forth and (dud!) off.

bike_flasher.jpg

Velcro

Enlightened

Thanks for looking Craig. Hmmm, now I still don't know who the original OEM is. It's an Asian company for sure, but what is their name?...hmmm... I must try and find out. But how?...hmmm again...

Haveblue, you might want to consider leaving feedback about your experience with that seller? It could keep other people from going through the same.

I've used the <font color="red">red</font> model on my bike for quite a while. They are decent if you can get them for $3 or so. I definitely wouldn't pay more then that because the quality just isn't there. The mounting bracket is flimsy, the light tends to point down after riding over bumps, the clip can't be replaced and there's no brand back-up. Other then that they are good enough to keep as a spare or do some modding with.