• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: X bin LED

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanted To Buy:

I need an X bin LED, due to the extraordinary auction I just won. Price is not an issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I have to climb the tallest mountain, swim the harshest sea, or survive many challenges of impending death, doom, and danger to get one:

I will.

I will award the title of: "The Greatest Human Alive" to whomever comes forth.

Brian

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WTB: X bin 3 watter.

Highest bin Luxeon 3 i have heard of is U. Even 5 watt X bins are rare as hens teeth right now.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm...

I knew it would be tough.. That bad, huh?

Why the scarcity?

Brian

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

In laymen's terms, (I'm the layman, who knows very little.) how much "better" is the U bin over a T?

Will I see a noticable difference?

Brian

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, a member on CPF actually got a hold of some U binned 3W's but ended up either not using them or using only a few as he found out that hand selecting from a bunch of T binned ones were actually brighter! So YMMV.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
bmstrong said:
Why the scarcity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's not just a matter of saying "lets make four xillion X-binned emitters today." The brighter emitters are only possible by process refinements and sometimes a bit of good luck. With time, they will become more common.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

a 5watter relys on 4 dies to produce the 200ish lumens, and even then it's extremely rare!
for a single die lux3 to do the same would require some wicked magic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm..

I changed the title of thread to WTB: X bin LED because I'm starting to look like an ***..

I'm to take it that the best of the 3 watt bins are the T's?

I wonder if the Li14430 can hold a X bin 5 watter without burning my arm off...

I'm just really really excited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif that I won this auction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And it would be real neat to throw something really special inside of it..

Brian

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Well, it's not just a matter of saying "lets make four xillion X-binned emitters today." The brighter emitters are only possible by process refinements and sometimes a bit of good luck. With time, they will become more common."

Tyler: My bad. I'm learning as I go. That explains alot.

Brian

cy

Flashaholic

Bmstrong, If you are wanting the T bin for your Li-14430. Don't worry, odds are Doug S and gang has already hand picked out the best Luxeon available for the Li14430.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

if you're really interested, i've got an x3t, and it comes with a free bridge! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened

eh, Roth... I'm interested... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif... oh wait, that wasn't addressed to me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

14C

Enlightened

No, dabis, but I'm sure he'll sell the bridge cheap without the LED..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

While the best 3 watter flux bin isn't nessasarlly one or the other generally T's are pretty good and avalible. U's should be better but as I explained you never know until you test them....

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
bmstrong said:
Hmmm..

I changed the title of thread to WTB: X bin LED because I'm starting to look like an ***..

I'm to take it that the best of the 3 watt bins are the T's?

I wonder if the Li14430 can hold a X bin 5 watter without burning my arm off...

I'm just really really excited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif that I won this auction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And it would be real neat to throw something really special inside of it..

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Brian,

That light is less than one cubic inch and the wasted watts from a 5W would probably burn your fingers in less than a minute. Also (DougS correct me if I am wrong) the electronics are a "buck" design- they control current to the LS at a voltage less than the battery's voltage. The Li Ions are only about 4 volts and a typical 5W needs about 6.5V for its rated output. Doug put a pretty decent LS in the light.

Larry