The BulkHead Lives!

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
First of all, I just want to preface this by saying please don't email Charlie to ask him when the black ones will be coming in. I don't want this post to add extra work for him. They're getting anodized and I'm sure Charlie will let everyone know ASAP when they're ready.

Here's a shot of my silver VIP complete with BulkHead:

(click on thumbnail for larger pic)

with regular VIP:

As you can see in the pic above, there really isn't that much of a difference in size with the BulkHead.

Here's a closeup of the BulkHead in relation to the switch with the 30 degree bevel, which makes it easier for people with fat fingers like me to turn the switch:

Of course we have beamshots (all beamshots were taken on the "high" setting with brand new Surefire 123 batts):

This is the Bulkhead (left) vs. the stock Fraen:

Bulkhead (left) vs. S017XA Chop modified reflector:

S017XA Reflector (left) vs. Stock Fraen:

The BulkHead totally rocks. I actually find no fault in any of the three assemblies, but as a preference, I like the Bulkhead the best. I didn't have time last night (actually I fell asleep before I got the chance) to walk around and test the throwing abilities of the BH, so that's on the agenda tonight. But you can tell just by the pics that the hotspot is much tighter on the BH than the other methods. Unfortunately, the camera didn't catch the spill from the two reflectors, but they do have more than enough spill to work with. As with all Mr.Bulk products, it turned out really well--high quality stuff. I can't wait to get the black version.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet. Looking forward to your outdoor findings. The BH came together nicely and I have a feeling that is probably going to be way my VIP will be most of the time..... Well actually one of my VIPs, the other one with have the BBH on it and one will remain "normal" with chop reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the pics.

Curtis

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow ZenGhost, very nice pics. To the BH orderers, I am hoping the blacks come in soon. The delivery of these few silvers (in numbers matching the silver VIPs out there) tells me the blacks are at the platers getting, uh, blackened...

BTW, one biggie foul up goin' on here:

I figured out most of the people who were eligible to get the silver BHs (they of course have to own silver VIPs, haw!) but there are a few left and I started reading (one by one!) the Paypal receipts on their website but kinda fell asleep at the wheel. For those who KNOW they ordered silvers, could you please contact me? With the name used in the Paypal? Then I can look you up, get addresses, etc., and these flamethrowin' adapters can then fly into your hands ASAP.

Thank you for your kind cooperation!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wasabe, one of these silvers would be for YOU! Yours was counted as one of the 13 total silvers, so let me know privately please. It can ship tomorrow.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Well, I finally got a chance to do my backyard "walkabout" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif (had to finish a paper first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif ). In comparing the Fraen, the S017XA reflector (Chop modified) and the BulkHead--I found that the BH is really worth it. The throw is substantially (and obviously) better with the BulkHead attached. Not that the VIP is a slouch in that department with the stock Fraen, but the BH just blows it out of the water. No centering problems with this guy and lots of usable spill. The Chop modified reflector also works well, but the BH still outdoes it a lot. I can't imagine anyone caring about the < .05" difference in length or the ~1/8th" difference in diameter to not use the BH. What has always impressed me about the VIP is the amount of light available on low. So I tried out the BH on low and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. In fact, I spent most of the time in the back with it on low and it put out more than enough light for me to get around and the throwing power of the BH was evident even on low.

It's the usual Mr.Bulk quality and I expect that everyone receiving a BulkHead will echo those sentiments. Thanks, Charlie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif .

ps...I should also note that there was quite a bit of light coming from the moon, but the VIP still held up. Usually everything looks bright in complete darkness, but a light that performs just as well in low light situations really earns its keep.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Thanks Zen. Hey do I get to work you even harder now on the next series of HAT builds? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

LLLean

Enlightened
Yup, I too am waiting with great anticipation for my BH. I feel that if a flashlight has 3-level of brightness, then it's practical to have the a good throw at the highest level as the lower 2 levels can be used for 'dimmer' light. So once my BH is here, it will be on the VIP probably all the time.

Thanks again, Charlie. By the way, when will you be building the WIP (W comes after V. Stands for Warped Intensity Pin)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Likebright

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Marty Weiner said:
Anybody have an idea of which nylon holster will hold a VIP & BH?

[/ QUOTE ]

I also am interested in which case would fit this wonder as I have one coming. I had asked the question in another thread but it got overwhelmed with the exuberance of all the VIP excitement. I never got an answer.
Anyone know what Ripoff case fits the VIP with the bulkhead installed?
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Thanks Zen. Hey do I get to work you even harder now on the next series of HAT builds? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Me and my big mouth... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

As for the Ripoffs--I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess then I'd say maybe the C0-30, which Ripoffs lists as fitting the Surefire 6P, 6Z, and G2 along with the Streamlight Scorpion. That's just a guess, though.

CUTiger3

Newly Enlightened
I've been kicking myself for not getting in on the BulkHead purchase (we were on our family vacation). I guess now, I'll end up falling on my face...since I will be using both feet to kick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

If anybody ends up with an extra BH, I sure would be interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I post this here as there are so many VIP related threads that the poor folks waiting on their stuff may not know where to look and thus not see it. However, feel free to move this with the appropriate pointer installed (Modder's B/S/T) if you feel so compelled:

UPDATE 7-1-04: BLACK BULKHEADS are shipping now!!! This is from the CNC shop to me, so it will be a few days. Then a quick HAT pack 'n ship to y'all.

Just thought you'd like to know. We do things quick around here at BulkWare™... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif