Does this seem wrong to you or is it just me.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Ok this is my first time here and I have a few Questions.

I am looking at getting a Surefire E2e Defender. This seems to be a popular EDC and I like all the features apart from one. Well two actually.

I hate the fact that it says Defender on it as this makes it sound like a weapon. This may not cause you guys a problem but i live in the UK and we are not allowed to carry weapons at all. If it was like a regular E2e then that would be cool. But surefire wont make me one without the print on it so i'm stuffed. I know you will all say get a regular E2e and swap bodies well that is an option but then the colours woulden't match if you wanted the HA.

My second problem which is the major problem is

Why is the pocket clip the wrong way round?

Surley the clip should be mounted on the other end of the flashlight near the switch.

If i had the light clipped in my front pocket of my jeans, i would want to use my thumb and index finger to pull it from my pocket as i lifted it out, then grip the flashlight with my fingers and activate the switch with my thumb.

I have not handled one yet so i dont know but as far as i can tell if i were to have the light clipped in my pocket then its going to take some manipulating and rotating before I can get my thumb on the switch.

I know you can take the clip off but then i have no clip and an even bigger carry problem.

Do any of you guys have problems like this or am i taking sh!te and there is a perfectly good reason for the clip to be there and a different method of drawing this from your pocket?

Please feel free to tell me what you think

looking forward to your replys

*Retired*
Humm, weapons...

You should see rothradir's flashlight:

macemag_collage.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
Raol -

Welcome! I've gotta say that I agree with you about the clip orientation. Always have! There are so few lights out that have the clip the right way around, that I can count them on one... finger, actually. I even have another reason that I like the bezel down, and that is for walking around in a puddle of light with your hands free. I do that all the time with my own EDC, and it is a feature I almost MUST have.

There are options though. McGizmo created a collar and button (like a cell phone swivel button) that slips onto the end of an E-series light so it will hang correctly. I have done this with all of mine.

MilGeo

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Raoul said:
I know you will all say get a regular E2e and swap bodies well that is an option but then the colours woulden't match if you wanted the HA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting the light as a whole doesn't guarantee matching HA colours. Me, I got a terribly mismatched A2...

As for the clip thing:
Sure it would be easier to grab the way you described it.
And given the fact the end is as wide as the bezel it doesnt's make sense to me too.

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Raoul said:
Ok this is my first time here and I have a few Questions.

Please feel free to tell me what you think

looking forward to your replys

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Right! I was in London some days ago. I left my M3 bezel with teeth at home becuz I was afraid that Ill get some trouble with your officers... But there were also two other things I noticed on your "Island" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif!

1.1 Everybody is nice over there, even "gang members" and "junkies"! And it seems pretty save at night. I was really surprised! You cant compare it with Germany or Hamburg... Do you guys have any crime over there???

1.2 Most Cops I´ve seen over there were not armed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif
All I have seen were batons! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif Only the two officers I´ve met at the Airport had some Heckler & Koch´s MP5.

Strange country /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

2. RIGHT! The clip is just a load of..... "iron" :p .
Im still wondering how you can cunstruct so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif"god perfect" lights and give the such a "load of.... iron"-clip

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
Humm, weapons...

You should see rothradir's flashlight:

macemag_collage.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT THE HELL!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

I need that flashlight for service!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH DAMN!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAAH!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think whether the body has "Defender" etched on it or not, the cops would take issue with the teeth on the bezel. No 2 ways around it, under our laws, im 99% sure it would be classified as an offensive weapon.

Also, the clip orientation makes sense to me. Having the widest end of the flashlight at the top of your pocket makes sitting down much more comfortable while the light is clipped in pocket. This goes double when you have a PRT bezel.

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
But the problem is that I dont want to wear my light locked.
I doesnt make sence to wear an unlocked light in your pocket this way.

There is a big risk that the flashlight turns on and everybody can see the flashlight and can see you. If its night you will have the attention of everybody.

Imagine you can see some suspects comming up the street... you cross the street to keep some distance and... FLASH! Now you have their attention... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

My opinion is, for an unlocked flashlight (and if you use them also for selfdefence you have to unlock them) the clip is just a load of... iron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nobody should know your equipment.. its a surprise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif ...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ask Al (aka size15s) if he encounters any problem so far. Singapore do have the same law as what was practiced in UK and our laws are very strictly enforced and adhered to by police & citizens respectively here. No one is allowed possesion of weapons, guns, pocket knives etc etc... I have yet to have any problems with the law regarding the E2D so I just hoped and pray that no one here start the first defensive use with it.

It seems like the new U2 Digital Ultra would be equiped with the clip the other way around.

Sharp

Enlightened
I don't know about you guys, but for me the current clip orientation is just fine, and find that I can get my light from my jeans' pocket and light it up in 2-3 seconds. 4 in normal conditions. For my needs, a reversed clip wouldn't be an improvement. This especially with aggressive-bezeled lights, like the E2D, which would only help in tearing your pockets. I can't tell by experience, but my L1 did it, so go figure what an E2D in bezel down position would do to your pockets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
My last word of advise is: since the E2D is meant for self-defense, where's the sense in keeping it shoved in a pocket, where it could take more time than what you have to take it out for defense/blinding, and not in a holster? In this case, you've got no problems about clipping and destroyed pockets.

Just my $.02

Richard

JOshooter

Enlightened
Don't count on this, but I have a post about flashlights and flying in the Cafe, one person who posted said he carries his E2d on airplanes with no problems. However, if you try to carry a nail clipper you'll run into some problems (at least in the US).

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Kakster nice to see you here as well as British Blades.

Well your right, the E2e D could be seen as an offensive weapon because of the teeth, but there is nothing in the written law that says you cant have one as the teeth are not sharp. However the fact that it is advertised as a last ditch defensive weapon realy does stich me Up.

I'm sure they will see my spyderco 2004 penknife as a far more offensive weapon but that will be perfectly legal to carry practicaly anywhere once it is released. The word Defender does lend it's self to an offensive weapon in British law as there is no such thing as a weapon for self defence. Defence=offence in England.

I spoke to the Legal Eagles at British blades and they all think i will be OK with an E2e Defender but I am not so sure.
OK doesen't = 100% Legal, they think the police wont have a clue what it is and even Ross the Cop thinks its OK because most cops in the UK havent even heard of surefire yet.
What i would have to do myself for my own satisfaction is put some sort of overlays over all of the flats of the flashlight body, maybee some thin carbon fiber or maybee some reflective stickers to try and make it look slightly sheeple friendly. I doubt though that even with these mods that this will make it look like a normal flash light.

I like the E2e Derender because it does what it does, if it were called the E2e Offender then that would be a different story, but i think you are right Kackster it is a bit in your face.

I'm undecided weather or not I should get an E2e Defender.

The pocket clip issue is a minor one but it as still the wrong way round IMHO.

Are there any torches out there that have a pocket clip the right way round, as small as the E2e D, can double as a Kubotan if they absolutly had to( i'm not worried about breaking the torch using it as a weapon is i hope i never need to use it as one.) and pump out 60+ lumens?? and have a clicky tail cap.

The E2e D is the closest thing i have seen yet but it is not quite right.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about putting one of the slip-on beamshapers or filters over the head? That would hide the crennelations, keep the lens clean when carrying it bezel up, and with a light film of oil under it you would be able to easily pop it off if needed?

bald1

Enlightened
This discussion reminds me of the endless debate among knife enthusiasts about whether folding knives should have their pocket clips oriented such that the blade is tip up or down. Logical arguements exist for both preferences as they appear to here for torches.

Me? I'm just pleased that some have clips at all allowing a convenient carry mode /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Bob

Steve_Chism

Newly Enlightened
Duke, what kind of connection do you have? I shot a video drawing the E2e, the clip orientation is really not a nuisance...you can have it out and turned on within 2 seconds. As far as the lockout, when you're sitting, working, etc, lock it out...when you're in a situation where light is a usefull defense mechanism i.e. walking in the dark, etc. just unlock it. with the crenelated guard around the button the chance of an accidental flash while walking across the street is pretty much zero. The only time my normal E2e flashes is when I sit down, which reminds me to lock it out.

Anyway, if you want I'll upload the video to my geocities site.

Steve

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Thanks for your replys Guys this is getting good
Tony thanks for the pic above, i shall do some serching for one of them online. What model is that there seem to be loads of different models. any links on where i can find one/ buy one?

Steve i have a realy fast connection as i am at work but i can only veiw certain videos, sometimes the files cant be decompresed but i'm interested in your vid. How do i find it?