What kind of hybrid/comfort bike should I get?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on purchasing a new hybrid bike soon and was wondering what you all had. I was looking at a Schwinn Voyager, the bike shop quality Schwinn, but for about $100 more, I could get a Bianchi Advantage. Any thoughts?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What kind of hybrid/comfort bike do you have?

My wife really loves her Giant which has front suspension but just the seatpost for rear suspension so we can have the kiddie seat on the back. If you're fishing for a recommendation though, so very much depends on what you want out of the bike it'd help to have a better idea of what you plan to do with it. (Tootle around? Maybe go off pavement sometimes? Go touring with panniers? etc.)

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds reasonable to need that information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

My wife and mostly ride on concrete or asphalt trails, sometimes gravel [well packed]. Nothing at all 'hardcore'. We rarely go over 12 mph, mostly averaging around 9 mph on our rides. I'm wanting it to be as light as possible, aluminum frame, and not more than $400. I've looked at Trek, Giant, Schwinn, and now Bianchi.

mindcrime

Newly Enlightened

I have a Gary Fisher, my wife has a Schwinn. Both have been good for us.

avusblue

Enlightened

Check out the Electra Townie.
4_Townie_21_2.jpg

Amazingly comfortable, and yet it looks, feels, and rides like a "conventional" bike. Notice the forward pedal position, and the low seat. Offers most of the benefits of a recumbent without the geek factor, the restricted maneuverability, or the high cost. The design also allows you to have both feet flat on the ground while sitting at a stop.

Don't buy anything until you find a bike shop where you can try one of these bikes out. They really are unique, and actually a good value too. You may be very pleasantly surprised!

Cheers,

Dave

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened

I really like the Trek hybrid bikes if you can find them.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let's change this thread up a bit. Here's what my options are.

Trek Navagator 100
Schwinn Voyager GS
Bianchi Advantage

These all can be purchased from a bike shop, but the Bianchi would have to be ordered, as they don't have that model on hand. They're all aluminum frame, probably all have about the same components, and roughly about the same price but with the Bianchi being $100 more. On the Bianchi and Schwinn, I can get 12 months interest free financing. The Trek I would have to come up with the whole lump sum.

The question is, other than pride of what I'm riding [such as an Italian company, Bianchi], trying to impress others with a name, would any of these bikes be good for my riding purposes?

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a different sort of riding than I do, so I can't offer any personal experiences. However, I would suggest that you ask the shop if you can test ride the bikes. That might make some of the differences more obvious, or perhaps convince you that they are roughly equivalent.

and to go off on a tangent.... do people really need front suspension to ride on trails? Those suspension forks add a fair bit of weight. A better alternative might be to use a slightly larger tire at a slightly lower pressure. Use a tire with a thinner, more flexible tread to reduce rolling resistance and to make it more comfy.

Steve K.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

The running has grown. Now, I'm trying to decide which of these:

Trek Navagator 100
Schwinn Voyager GS
Bianchi Advantage
Raleigh SC 30
Jamis Citizen
KHS Westwood

Any thoughts? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

avusblue

Enlightened

Have you test ridden all these bikes you're considering? I sure wouldn't buy / special order / commit to a bike you haven't been able to test ride thoroughly enough to get a good feel for it. Bikes are very subjective.

Do a bunch of test ridin' and buy the one you like the best! Just don't even get on any bike you can't afford, or you'll wind up set on that one!

Have fun!!

Cheers,

Dave

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Adding another bike to the list. Giant Cypress

Giant Cypress
Trek Navagator 100
Schwinn Voyager GS
Bianchi Advantage
Raleigh SC 30
Jamis Citizen
KHS Westwood

Still deciding though I am beginning to lean more towards a couple of the above. I won't say which, so as not to sway any replies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts