P61 in E2D?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since there is a dome shape lens on the E2D, there is a high chance that I can insert a bigger bulb in there. I am thinking of transferring my P61 lamp assembly to my E2D. Does anyone know how this can be done? Exp: removing reflector, contact springs?

Have anyone tried this config? Is the beam still smooth or will there be a shadow?

K-T

*Moderator*
Some P61's have been transfered into the standard E2e bezels. You might want to search for 'E2e+' as this is what they were called.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It will depend on the nipple on the end of the particular P61 lamp that you mod. There is more room but someone, can't recall who, screwed their lens up because the lamp nipple jammed into it. You can always do the E2e+ mod with the E2d and you would be good to go. Same reflector as the E2e so the beam will be similar.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you K-T and McGizmo. I knew you guys were always around to help. I want to give it a try. Meanwhile, I will do a search on that.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah... Andy... perhaps I can be of assistance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure sure...would love your help really. My biggest issue now is how do I get the reflector out? I have gone through a search but what I found are E2e and P61 modded by Nascar for sale. I manage to come across a picture with the P61's reflector removed and the outer contact spring shortened to fit the E2's body but how can I remove the reflector?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read also that this config can get very hot when used for 2-3 mins. Even hotter than the L4 and thermal shutdown is inevitable. I am beginning to wonder if this is worth it but since I got an extra P61 I think there is no harm trying.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It's been a while but I recall heating the LA up to soften the the glue and then wedging a razoe blade between the ceramic base and the reflector;working around the circumfrence. You will need a washer to back the lamp out of the reflector for proper focal adjustment. Hummmm..... whoever collided the lamp with the domed window, I wonder if they had installed the spacer washer???

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I did some searching also and i like what i see.

I dont even own a decent flashlight yet and already this mod sounds to good to be true.

These are the treads that i found for the mods i think everything is explained in there.

I am wondering weather or not to buy an E2e D but i probably will and try to perform this mod aswell.

I'd be interested to see how you get on pjandyho

hopefully buy the time i get all the stuff to do this you or somebody else will have tried this already

good luck

here are the threads i found on the subject.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=278414&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=244435&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

http://dmcleish.com/CPF/E2-P61/index.html

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=471843&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1#

Cheers Raoul.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which number you called? It is definitely on. I was just conversing with a Citibank officer.

juancho

Enlightened
I have a E2+ (Nascar) so I tried my mod. lamp and the washer in my E2D. I went easy when screwing down the head back in the body and I could see that before the head could touch the body, the teat of the bulb was already touching the lens.
Still the light functioned. McGizmo is right, maybe some P-61 lamps come a little shorter and nothing more is needed, in my E2D the space that the o ring provides is desirable.

Juan C.