Battery availability overseas

B@rt

Flashaholic
Don't think it will be a problem, but pricing on lithiums could be somewhat more...
frown.gif

remuen

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe S:
What battery types are most common and easily available worldwide, and in Europe in particular? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey hey, we don't live in the jungle ...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
I do hope your question was really only a joke!
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
People have found that drugs are more easy to sell on the streets although some dealers work from home...

Duracell have just released an Alkaline chemistry battery that's meant to be better.

It's a cultural thing I suppose?

Al
grin.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're travelling to Singapore or Perth, batteries are no problem.

For Singapore, practically all coin type cells can be purchased at stores selling watches, camera stores and film developing stores. Camera stores and film developing stores should also have all the bigger lithium batteries you want (CR123 for example). Supermarkets (Fairprice, Cold Storage) will carry almost all the usual alkalines batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) and may also carry lithium AA, CR123 and CR-P2 (the two CR123 packed together configuration) batteries. Department stores may also carry batteries but may be harder to find as you need to look for a hardware section. Needless to say, there will be a small selection of batteries in the toy department as well. Electronics appliances stores such as Denki and Harvey Norman will also carry a selection of batteries depending on the products they sell at that store. Finally, another place to look is in hardware shops, more commonly called DIY stores. These can be found in most shopping complexes and are not to be confused with the proper hardware stores found in housing estates.

In Perth, hardware shops will carry a good selection of batteries as will shops like KMart, Woolworths and Dewsons. Camera houses will also be a good source for coin type cells and lithium cells as well as the smaller alkalines (AAA, AA). Chemists will also carry a good selection of the smaller alkalines and all sorts of lithium and coin cells.

Hope that helps.
smile.gif

BTW, if you are coming to these parts, do let me know. My email address should be in my profile.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, in Japan you can get just about any battery type you can think of at the larger camera/electrical stores. Prices for common batteries like AAs or AAAs are quite cheap, they are commonly sold in packs of 10 or 20.

Lithium 'button' batteries are also commonly available, but more expensive (starting at around US$3-4)

Hong Kong has lots, similar availability to Singapore. Don't know about price though, haven't been there for about 4 years.

Most other countries in Asia have the common AA, AAA, C, D, 9V types, and some of the more common button types like CR2032.

Graham

Frank

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to visit Japan and Australia but this time I'm going to Bejing.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by remuen:

Hey hey, we don't live in the jungle ...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
I do hope your question was really only a joke!
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't meant to infer that. Perhaps I need to rephrase the question (also, bear in mind that, having never left the US, I am not exavtly well-traveled): Are The types of batteries I mentioned easily available at satisfactory prices outside of major cities? For instance, in the US, the PAL light makes a great car light, not only because it is bright and has good battery life, but because assuming it goes dead, you can buy a 9V at just about any gas station.

Sorry about the confusion. I didn't mean any insult whatsoever.

remuen

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe S:

Sorry about the confusion. I didn't mean any insult whatsoever.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

grin.gif
means that this was a joke .... and I wanted to say that you won't have any problem to get any battery type. Ok, coin cells are not available in every shop and every small mountain village. And the price ... mmmh, here in Switzerland is almost everthing a bit more expensive than in other countries
frown.gif

Btw, I really met some Americans which believed that here in Switzerland we would still live as shown in the Heidi movies. But we do have cars, electicity, television, flashlights, one of the most important IMB research center, more Nobel award winners compared to the number of inhabitants than any other country .... and Intel and a lot of other semiconductor manufacturers couldn't produce their chips without the high tech machines from here ......

Oh, I've forgotten to say: It's a nightmare that all Swiss are rich - at least I'm an exception! But it's correct that we have four official languages (mainly German, French and Italien) in our small country.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Just a quick question for those in the know, through travel, or anyone on the other side of the Atlantic from me: What battery types are most common and easily available worldwide, and in Europe in particular? For instance, I figure AAs are available nearly anywhere there's a drug store, but does the same go for 9v or AAA? How about coin cells (CR2016, CR2032), or CR123s? C and D cells?

Thanks for the info.

Joe S.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

South America

Brazil - Brazil is larger than continental USA and manufacturers such as Eveready, Duracell and Ray-o-vac have local factories to supply local demand of 180 million population. It is the only non hispanic country in Latin America (surprised?) the official language is Portuguese and only 1% of the population speak fluent English as a second language. Spanish altough is similar to Portuguese as much as Italian and French won't help much. In some less populated areas such as North and Northeast is still relatively easy to find AAs, AAAs, Cs, Ds and 9vs. But unless you are close to at least a small town with a photography shop it might be hard or expensive to find CR123s. (battery = Pilha (Peeleeah), (9v or car batteries = bateria (bahtereeah)

Argentina - Everything is easy to find in greater Buenos Aires (avoid the dangerous suburbs of course) where most of the Argentine population of 30 million is concentrated. Towards south and southwest (Pampas and Patagonia) you be only able to find CR123 in Photography shops.

Same for Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay. (battery = batería, pila)

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:

Hong Kong has lots, similar availability to Singapore. Don't know about price though, haven't been there for about 4 years.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put it this way, many Singaporean come to Hong Kong for shopping:)

Alan