What the heck happened to my PR-T head ????

jtice

Flashaholic
Wasnt sure where to put this,,, we need a "screw-up" section LOL

Anyway... I got a Surefire G2 and Streamlight Scopion on Monday.
I really like the way the Scorpion has the rubber coated handle, that covers the clickie switch.
Well, I took the thing apart, naturally, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif and noticed the threading looked like it would fit the Mclux heads.
Sure enough, it did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, the threads on the Scorpion are longer, so it didnt meet up to the PR-T head perfect, but it worked.
The PR-T head with DB911, TWAK lit up just fine. I had it on maybe 5 seconds, turned it off, and was looking at it, contiplating if I could make it meet up to the PR-T head with a better fit and finish, then turned it back on......... ah.... "click, click,,, click ... nuttin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I place the PR-T head back on its E2e bod,,,,, NUTTIN ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

What the heck happened ????????????
I tested the led, it still lights up, but it seems something is wrong with the converter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any ideas as to what might have happened?
That was my farvorite head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Taking these things apart, after being epoxied, it NOT an easy task. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-John

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ticey, this sounds like something that happened with a PR-T I had a few months ago. I accidentally (I am a chimp afterall) screwed it on to my McL1 2x123 and it wouldn't light.

When I realized it was on the McL1 and not my E2e I took it off and put it on the right host. It wouldn't light. It had lit earlier on another E2e.

I sold it on BST for quite a loss and the other feller fixed it.

As I understand it, the batteries in the McL1 butted the module upwards so that it wouldn't make contact in the E2e.

Britt

jtice

Flashaholic
Britt,

I thought about that,,, so...
I took my variable power supply, and tapped the leads to the head,,, nuttin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I had it set to about 6V and .6 amps, so it should have lit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Besides, if I screwed it on too much, the only thing it should have done, was to try to puch the converter further up inside of the esink, and it hasnt moved.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh oh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I should have known you'd check the converter already. Yeah, that's what happened with mine, the converter was pushed up out of the esink.

jtice

Flashaholic
Tyler,

I already tested the LED itself, its fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yea, I should try your ground idea, I will do that as soon as I get home from work.
This has me going nuts, really dont want to rip that thing apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

stein

Newly Enlightened
Could you have accidently touched the positive end of the battery to the E-Can while changing bodies? I did it once and fried the board!

Darell

Flashaholic
Yup, I'm going with stein's guess here. It is the only thing I can think of. Be glad you didn't do it to a KL6 like somebody I know...

jtice

Flashaholic
stein, Thats what I am thinking I did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Only thing I can think of that could have happened.

Roth, Our ussual way, ground wire threw the hole in the edge of the can, and soldered in place.

Darell, ouch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I guess I will have to rip this thing apart in the next couple of days.
This is gonna be hell to get apart. At least the LED is still good.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
our usual way? who is "our"?

this is how i do my ecans!
side.jpg

make a groove around the outside and wrap and solder the wire onto it all the way around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Roth: "Have lathe, will groove"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

you can't tell from the picture, but i also faced the top and bottom down a little bit to reduce the gap, and to work better with a pila battery (they don't have nipples! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif )

jtice

Flashaholic
lol, geeeeez, I should have known, overkilled it to death. lol

I hope to crack mine open in the next day or 2