A way to store TL on charger whichout charging it?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if it is safe the store the TL in the charger cradle without charging it but moving it upwards or twisting it so that the charger contacts dont match up with the TL contacts. Anyone else do this? Is it safe? Is there a possibility that the charger will short out on the TL body? Ill try to clarify if this setup sounds confusing.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I store mine that way. It's safe because the flashlight body doesn't make contact with the recessed charging terminals. You can verify this by cutting a very narrow strip of paper, about 1/4" wide and inserting it in the gap. The strip must be narrow so it doesn't catch on the way down.

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: A way to store TL on charger whichout charging

How about just unplugging the charger from the wall outlet.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

MTFD17,

This is a fine thing to do. There is no danger of shorting out the charging contacts, as brightnorm has said.

I would recommend this method over unplugging the charger from the wall. There are diodes that prevent reverse current in the charging circuit, so this is probably OK, but seems like much more work than simply sliding the TL up until the LED charging light goes out.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool, thanks for the replies guys!

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Eric:

You could plug the charger into a DC or AC timer, so that the light gets charged for, say, an hour a day. I think Jim says the fully charged voltage should be 8.4 VDC, so if you find it dropping below that, set the timer to charge for 2 hours a day, or whatever time fits your usage.

This way the light stays charged, and you never overcharge the light or have to remember to unplug or reposition it.

Josey

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Just one other point. I rotate the TL until the charging terminals are facing out. That way a quick look reminds me that it's off charge and reinforces the indicator light's absence.

BN