SO27XA in M2 Bezel

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to see what will fit in a M2 bezel. The Pelican M6 reflector is just barely too big. I measure the OD of the PR at 27.8mm, and the OD of the P60 at 26.6. Can someone with a SO27XA and a M2 bezel see if the SO27XA will fit?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
tyler,

I don't think a lathe will help. I haven't yet been able to figure a way to chuck the larger IMS reflectors. I guess this is why I still bother with the PR's in some lights.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking more along the lines of trimming the OD of the PR. It appears there's enough excess "beef" on the outside to trim it to fit the M2 bezel without sacrificing too much of the actual reflector. I don't think I'll be getting a lathe anytime soon, though.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tyler,
The PR or the IMS so27xa should drop down into the M2 (SureFire I presume?) from the front end with no problem?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif If you want to feed them in from the rear, a 20 TPI thread can be cut on a PR reflector in a minute and it will screw past the threads and then rattle around if you have removed theshock isolation system.

Sort of related, I am about half way through a modified PR coupled with a McCapsule that will allow for simple drop in of McCapsule/ PR in the classic heads and bodies but not the shock isolated M2. I need to get some parts finished off and off to the anodizers before ican rap this up and I should have anodized McCapsules on friday (fingers crossed) so I *should* be able to post about this over the weekend. I am certainly jumping the gun here but after reading how Chop still "bothers" with the PR's, I wanted to mention this build because it depends on the machinability of the Al reflector coupled with its thermal path. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In this build, the reflector does have a short length of thread which helps keep it centered as well as keeping it captive in the head if you do a McCapsule change out.The reflector screws past the threads and is then free to float axially a bit. For a 5W build, a .015" thich shim/centering bushing is possible, I think. You have a metal to metal compression and thermal path from the back of the McCapsule to the front edge of the reflector contacting a lip in the head. I think it is the best thermal path I have personally come up with in a classic head and all parts are loose. It looks real promissing so I am sure I have failed to notice a couple major flaws! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

1) Ah, I didn't think about going in through the front.

2) This PR/McCapsule idea is pretty much what I had in mind, but better!

3) When I read this, I tried fitting the PR into the 6P bezel, and found it doesn't fit either. Then I read you cut the threads into the PR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So, why won't this new gadget work in the M2 bezel?

4) Where are the PICTURES??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tyler,

I have to build a McCapsule first! (no time!) I suppose this will work in a M2 but the shock isolation actually works against you a bit as it reduces the compression forces against the component train. You also lose a good thermal path at the front end. I am not sure I even have a M2 head still in tact to check. The one that I looked at last night is completely stripped and the so27xa as well as the PR drop in from the front with room to spare without need to trim them down.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, that makes sense. Can't wait to see the prototype, this will give new life to the C series. I find the KL3 too large and it's not fun to open up.

BTW, why do these need to be anodized? Just cosmetics, or for electrical isolation?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I don't like the hassle of isolating the slug on the downboy builds for one and the other reason has to do with some possible future applications where one might *want* control over the ground path connection. For instance, if the McCapsule were loaded into the head from the front, prior to reflector/optic installation, It would be posible to have the circuit closed for light on when the battery tube were to contact the cathode ring on the contact PCB. The McCapsule was designed to fit and function in the LongBow but I was hoping and planing on using it as a photon engine beyond the LB hosts.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It's the same. It can spend the AM in a LongBow and the PM in a classic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts