Question for software developers/project managers

RH

Enlightened
We are implementing a new planning software system and we are going to implement it first on a development server, then move to a test server, and finally a production server. I have been asked to develop the testing plan for moving from each environment (eg how and when will we move code between each environment). My question is:

Does anyone know what this is called? I'm trying to google it, but don't even know what this "migration" is called. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Robert

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Question for software developers/project manag

I don't think there's special words for that. Migration is an ok term for moving a service from one place to another. In your deployment plan, though, normally the developers would deliver the code to the QA team which would bang on it on a test server a while. After QA signs off, the production team would get the code and install it on the production server. Normally the QA server would keep running even after the production launch, so as the developers release patches and updates, they'd get installed and tested in a QA environment that mirrors the production environment as closely as possible.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Question for software developers/project manag

I'm in agreement with paulr that migration is an OK term for the exact act. However, that term limits the scope of what you actually have to do. I like the simple word "move" better. "Migration" may scare the he11 out of your requestors.

Might I suggest you name the software program and then name the project?

Let's say we are assigned to build the Biology Administration's Database. Also, we may be slated for the development of a program to be used by another department for Geologic Resonance Enhancement And Theory. Use acronyms to name the databases or programs.

The software program will be introduced through development, testing and implementation phases on three different servers. Phase Development.

The movement of the software program from one server to the next will be tested. Phase Testing.

Mr. or Ms. Project Lead can then state in a high-level meeting, "We are pleased to report that due, in large part, to the clear specifications given by the Geology Department, Phase II testing of the G.R.E.A.T. program is returning true data and is behaving in a very stable manner."

I do not fluff but I have no qualms about letting folks know how successful a hard working team is.

My nomination: Phase Testing.

Eventually the irritating mid-level boy in the Biology Department will learn not to take our parking spaces or talk to us in the latrine.

- Jeff