BEARS and PEPPER SPRAY

juancho

Enlightened
My other thread about the " bear trail and Mag Charger" diversified into a discussion about pepper spray for bears. As this is not a flashlight-related subject, I invite the members to discuss your views about pepper spray in this thread.

Consequently,

Pepper Spray and Bears

The hikers shuddered in the cold winds blowing that day over the treetops of Yellowstone National Park. They clutched their parkas closer to their chests in the hopes to warm themselves against the fury of the bitter maritime polar winds that blew against them. After all, the guide had warned them to be equipped for unexpected and unfriendly weather.

The guide, a middle-sized male of forty-nine years, exhaled and gave a loud noise of mild exasperation beneath his silver bushy moustache as he climbed up onto a protruding section from the side of the hill. It was a Wednesday, and as the previous days of the week, Ray Bucklesmith was leading a group of tourists across a small portion of the northern border of Yellowstone Park. At the moment, he was guiding the hikers over a small hill, which for the most part had a gentle elevation and allowed for a comfortable pace, granting leave to observe the scenery of the autumn colors as a background against the distant mountains.

"Everyone here?" questioned the guide with a heavy Colorado accent, gripping a nearby cedar branch for support. "Great." His eyes moved across the leaf-covered ground and the surrounding scenery for a hint on what interesting fact to point out to them. Not that they were very interested, in that sense.

He happened to spot a small pile of waste on the ground about three meters from his spot. Instantly, he was able to recognize it.

"Alright, as you may have noticed, we are on a heavily used bear trail. Now, the bears can't ascend this hill, but they go across horizontally. You can see here," and he pointed to an oak tree, "that there are several markings in the shape of claws across the surface of this tree. This was most likely was done by, uh, young black bear cubs under orders from their mother to climb the tree."

"No kidding?" said one of the men, donning a gray parka. "Bears can climb trees? I never knew that."

"Yes, well, not all bears. Black bears of this region are quite the experts at climbing trees because they are often under threat from the more aggressive Grizzly bear."

"What? There are Grizzly bears in this place?" The was a slight hint of fear detectable in the woman's voice.

"Yes, and you were warned of that in the distribution of the safety pamphlet that we handed out earlier." He gazed, irritated, across the sea of guilty countenances that clearly showed few of them had paid much attention to the pamphlet in the first place.

"Okay, as the pamphlet mentioned, it is best when traveling into bear country to carry pepper spray to repel a bear away from you at close range. And it is also recommended to take little bells and strap them to some part of you in order for the noise to scare away nearby predators."

He sighed. "In any case, a way you can tell a difference between a black bear and grizzly bear without seeing them is by their droppings." He stooped low. "Gather around," and motioned with his hand.

"In this sample, we can see the basic diet of a black bear." He prodded the feces with a twig as his audience glanced on in disgust. "You see here, we have berry skins and some undigested grass blades. This gives you a typical black bear diet; berries and grass. Black bears also enjoy grubs, ants, bees, and the occasional meat they can get their paws on."

One of the people asked, "What's that smell? That ain't no berry smell. It's weird."

"That," replied the ranger as he walked over to a nearby bush," comes from this pile of droppings. Grizzly bear droppings. This is a rare thing to see the two bears together in the same area, which led me to infer that the grizzly bear was intruding on a mother black bear's territory. A show off of strength probably followed, while the cubs were sent up that tree for their protection."

"Yeah, but why that smell?"

"Well, as I said, you can infer a bear's diet from its droppings. While black bear droppings usually contain herbs and insects, a grizzly bear can be usually identified for the stench of pepper spray and-" He prodded the sample over- "little gold bells."

The attention of the crowd suddenly intensified significantly.

Juan C.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That reminds me of the reports that came out a year or two ago that pepper spray can actually *attract* bears.

bigcozy

Enlightened
True story.

When I lived in Utah, about 1997, there was a bear attack out by the Uinta Reservation. I remember that the bear actually got into a pickup camper and an older fellow beat it back with a big Maglight. When they told him how brave he must have been, he said "I had no idea it was a bear, I thought it was a dog or something".

Maybe one of our Utah CPFers can back that up, I think it was in the the Deseret News.

In 1995 I had a black bear literally run though our camp on the Buffalo National Wilderness area (tylerdurden will know where that is I bet!). If you think you get on a can of pepper spray or raise a gun to aim before the bear could get to you, you are wrong. I could not believe its speed. Couldn't believe how clumsy either, when it ran into the woods it hit something and did a somersault. Each to his own, I prefer a gun, if nothing else it is very loud and might scare it off - it is also very effective if it doesn't run.

Met a guy in Wyoming one time backpacking that carried a roadflare for bears. Seemed like a good idea, better than negotiating anyway.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
some reason this reminds me of a tv show i watched last night its called the wildboyz it is real stupid but its like crocidile hunter but instead of steve erwin there is to guys that are morons well anyways they was going after gorillasn in the woods and the silver back wasnt to happy.well any ways ythey get the idea to dress up as big bannas it was so odd

StuU

Enlightened
I think that carrying firearms into a National Park to defend against bears is probably illegal. If you shot one in the park, you might find yourself up on serious charges. They just can't let every greenhorn who enters the park shoot the hell out of the wildlife everytime a bear makes them jittery.

I have camped in Mount Mckinley Park in Alaska- now that is truly scarey. On the way into the park, we witnessed a momma Grizzley throwing her 300 pound cub over her shoulder just for fun...and then ripping up a 12 foot sapling like it was nothing. Just thinking about that mass of rippling muscle and us in a flimsy little tent makes me queasy.

Still- a magnificent animal.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time I saw a black bear it streaked across a stretch of flat land then ran up a 75 degree hill at an amazing speed. Fastest animal I have ever seen.

Now my friends we chased by a black bear in the Smoky Mountains (they have pictures)and they said the bear was chasing them at a relatively slow pace. Gave them enough time to make it to the bear shelter.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
some reason this reminds me of a tv show i watched last night its called the wildboyz it is real stupid but its like crocidile hunter but instead of steve erwin there is to guys that are morons well anyways they was going after gorillasn in the woods and the silver back wasnt to happy.well any ways ythey get the idea to dress up as big bannas it was so odd

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, Raggie, Wildboyz is the funniest show on TV... they actually dressed as bears in Alaska and went swimming with black bears...

when they were in Africa they dressed like a zebra and literally got attacked by two female lions, one of which carried the head of the costume off acrossed the plains while Steve-O and Chris Pontius (the main characters in the show) ran back to their jeep while wetting their pants!

juancho

Enlightened
StuU: Yes carrying firearms in a National Park is illegal, but since the Park Rangers are unable to protect you against bears, will be up to you if you wish to defend yourself and with what!!

In my case, I think that is better to be judge by 12 than be carry by 6.

Juan C.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I wouldn't rely on bear spray if I even remotely had the option of bringing along a shotgun or large caliber rifle, everything I've read seems to indicate that pepper spray has a pretty good record, even against grizzlies. If there's newer information to the contrary, I'd love to read it.

Note that reports about pepper spray attracting bears was, as far as I know, based on people spraying the bear spray around the campground, as if it were some kind of bear repellent. This is what attracted the bears. It's also not the way bear spray is supposed to be used. Spraying the bears directly in the snout has a different effect entirely.

Joe

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found out I moved to bear country(of a sort) I was talking to a friend who had a bear in his back yard 2 weeks ago and the state came out and "relocated it" I guess although I am not that concerned I will leave the deer slugs and triple aught shells in my pop gun. I am still a firm advocate of the metallic bear repellents. BTW those 6 people won't be needed if a bear attacks, one person can scoop up those little piles of bear droppings with bells in them.

Turt

Enlightened
We have a rule of thumb with our group of hikers. "It's not about running faster than the bear, it's about running faster than somebody else in your group" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif