SF G2 or Peli M6 ?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
just wondering what you guys think
a mate from work asked me whether he should get a surefireG2 or Pelican M6 and what i thought of both lights
he will be using it as a backup light (he currently uses a stinger)
anyway - i have told him what i think of the P60 in my 6P - and told him that the G2 is very similar - just nitrolon (polymer) - and that i havent seen an M6
just wondering if you guys could shed some light on the situation (pun intended)
thanks
Echo 63

capnal

Enlightened
There was a big thread going around here about a month ago on this very same subject. Try doing a search. Maybe in the "incandescent" area.
From what I remember and what I posted, there were lots of good opinions and information thrown out. I'll see if I can find it, also.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Echo63, I have both You have far
more options with the G2. It can use a turbo head you can buy a kit to make it rechargeable from SF or you can get the Pila 3.77 lamp and run a 168s Pilas rechargeable in it.
I also like the nitrolon in real hot or real cold weather better than a metal light. I do like the PM6 it just would not be my pick if I could only have one.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a few thoughts: The G2 is a tad smaller, the beam doesn't throw as far but may be more useful for many needs, the Nitrolon feels better, to me, than metal, and the G2 is a bit lighter. These are all small differences so it comes down personal preference. Switch action may make a difference; the G2 has a non lock out twisty.

StuU

Enlightened
I love the Pelican M6 but feel it is a bit on the large side for EDC. However, it is a great light.

The G2 is light and is made of indestructible nitrolon. The P60 lamp has perfect wide intense beam. Good feel.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i gave him the flashsaholics response - buy both
just joking
thanks for the help guys - im sure my mate will appreciate it
best thing about this site
if i dont know something - all i have to do is ask

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
The PM6 out throws the G2

[/ QUOTE ]
The G2 out floods the PM6.

I would say both of them are very good lights. It boils down to a matter of personal preference.

03lab

Enlightened
I sold my PM6 to get a G2. I didn't like the built quality of the Pelican. The G2 switch can easily be modified to a clicky.

Wrangler

Enlightened
I sold my G2 to get a PM6! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
That G2 was (and still is) a great light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
The main reason to sell was the switch that I didn`t like.
When I got my PM6 I was surprised that the lightoutput was almost the same may be a little better but I found out that only the PM6 LED has a clickie so I ordered one at flashlightlens.com. All in all I´m very satisfied with that torch and would always buy it again.
The advantage of the G2 is it`s size and little weight and the modding variations.
The main advantage of the PM6 is the lower operation costs.
(Includes belt sheath, replacement bulb costs roughly 7 euro
compared to the G2 P60 reflector at 27 euro)
Both of them are fantastic throwers and great lights.
My choice is definitely PM6 !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Just my two cents.
Cheers,
Wolfgang /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have both.

My G2 has a Garrity clickie, and courtesy of Flashlightlens.com my PM6 has a Kroll.

As has been said, the PM6 out throws a P60 SF lamp. But the P60 puts out a very nice flood that has good reach.

The G2 is much lighter, doesn't get hot or cold like a metal light, and is even a bit smaller.

PM6 with Kroll is shortened by up to 1/8" (cap screws down tight) and is a joy to use so equipped.

But if I had to choose one or the other, it would be G2 all the way.

But has also been said, replacement lamps for PM6 can be had at a 3 or 4 to 1 rate cheaper than SF lamps...

Joseph

Enlightened
The best answer is.. buy them both!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I'm the one who posted the linked thread above. Thanks to really kind CPFers' advice first I bought G2 and I really love it. But now I'm planning to get a PM6 as soon as Pelican makes the switch kroll! They are too good to have just one of them!!
Hope for New version of PM6 to be on sale sooooon! haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Latest posts