Why did my EverLED blink?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older model (no circuit protection) white EverLED. I put it into a Coleman's 4D Floating Lantern to see how it would look, but all it did was keep blinking. I could not get a steady beam out of it. I double checked and I'm almost positive it's the correct polarity (positive going to the base of the EverLED). I tested the EverLED afterward and it works fine in my PT Tec 40. The only other thing I noticed was the base of the EverLED was longer than the stnadard bulb. I had to use a pair of pliers and pull the tab back up in the Coleman Lantern to get the normal bulb to contact again. Does anyone know why it was blinking and how I can fix this? Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'm pretty sure the everled uses a buck/boost circuit. If the voltage is too high, it's reduced. If it's too low, it's increased. When the voltage drops too low, at a certain point it will fall into direct drive.

It sounds like you have weak batteries that hit that magic spot where if it would try to boost the voltage, the battery voltage dropped too. but if it went direct drive the battery is less taxed and so the voltage comes back up.

Simply changing the batteries may fix the problem.

Empath

Flashaholic
I had the same problem with one of my EverLed lamps. It was being run on a fresh set of batteries, so I ended up trying it in another light to see if maybe a contact was becoming oxidized or something. It worked perfectly there. Eventually I checked the batteries and found that one cell was bad. New batteries brought right back to his normal performance.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I just checked again and it WAS one bad cell. It was dead for some reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Put in new batteries and everything works fine. Thanks! Now to try and find a better lantern that can take advantage of this side emitter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
When you do find another lantern, be sure the bulb nipple connection is positive (+) or you'll let all the magic smoke out of your EverLED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some 4d battery lanterns like the rubber one Energizer makes should do ok.
I have used that one with good success with an everled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Or the Dorcy focussin lantern at Wallyworld may work great for the best possible focus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have had the 4aa jr version do just fine with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I have seen my Everleds get blinky confused right at 3.1-3.3 volts in a 2 cell with freshly charged rechargeable alkaline batteries until they unwound a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Latest posts