How good are Royal Blue 5W leds for UV Glow ??

jtice

Flashaholic
I have a Inova X5 UV and like it pretty well.
But find that alot of the time, I would like something more powerful, and that thorws better.

I was thinking of making a 5W Royal Blue mag mod.

How well does it actually put off UV though?
I know it will make things glow, but how well?
Will it put off as much UV as my Inova X5?

I know I will also see "blue" comming out of this thing, which is ok, but I need alot of UV comming out of it.

I was, and still kinda am, tempted to buy a 6W UV led, but I just wont use it enough to justify the $120 LED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Thanks.

-John

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's near uv, not uv, but shorter wavelength than normal light.

it won't really make things glow, but it will make things flouresce.

if you need uv, get one of those 6watters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
of course, you'd probably end up killing it anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Hey !! ive only killer 2 lights so far,,, not bad for the damn near 100 I have used. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just wonder if im gonna see more blue, than glow. lol

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Some UVA-reactive materials will fluoresce, but the visible blue will be fairly bright too. Other materials that fluoresce under blue light will fluoresce rather strongly. Royal blue is also good for charging GITD materials.

I have an Arc LS modified with a 3 watt royal blue Luxeon driven at 667mA, which is what I used for this informal test.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some things that the RB will cause to fluoresce that UV will not, and vice-versa (and much crossover between the two).

The typical spectrum for RB is a peak at 450nm, with 99% of the output between 420 and 500nm. There is only a smidgen of output at 400nm, and pretty much zero in the <400nm range.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
A better and even cheaper UV would be to buy 100 or 50 of those ebay UV leds, and put them in a mag 3d or 2Dw/3c's. Put as many as you can fit in the head!!!

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a royal blue sammich. It did fluoresce the uv dye and the fibers in money and certain clothes.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've found that blue will fluoresce the phosphor in white LEDs (that's how they work anyway), where UV will barely produce any reaction at all. Point a blue LED at a white LED and you'll see the phosphor coating glowing with a sort of salmon color.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
RB will make stuff that is painted in "day-glo" or neon colors flouresce a bit, but won't work on stuff like cat pee. It does do a great job of charging glowpowder, though. It's a fun color, and the RB LuxIII puts out a lot of light. I'd really like to see a RB 5-watter in action

*Retired*
Here is a comparision of a 5mm with a Dental Blue like you'd find in the ARC4 Forensics:

bivluxd.jpg

If you really wanna go for the gusto:
http://www.optotech.com/data_sheets/OTLH-0360-UV-10.pdf