Longbow Micra vs Arc LS

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
I am considering either a Longbow Micra or a ARC LS (both 1x123 cell batt).

I just can't find any info about a comparision between the above 2 lights.

Wish to know that which has a higher lumen and better throw?

Help Help

Skyline

Enlightened
The essential differences:

Micra is brighter and has longer throw.
LS has a bit more spill.
Twisty Micra is a little longer than the Clicky LS.
Clicky Micra is noticeably longer than the Clicky LS.

There have been photo comparisons between the two. If you do a search, you should find the posts pretty easily.

rp42995

Newly Enlightened
I would go with ARC Ls has longer run time Long bow is a nice light but to big I think.. ARC is more$$$$ but you will be happy and you could even get a twisty and it would be even smaller yet....

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
rp42995 said:
ARC 4 all the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Any website or review?

Cost the Throw an Output chart from flashlightreview.com does not have Micra n Arc4+ only Arc LSH.

Therefore very difficult to decide.
Only if I can get some numbers for the Micra and Arc 4+, it would help alot in my purchase.

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
here is a comparsion of the two : Here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
(this should work now)

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
DanMan- check your link- You've got 2 http:// in front of the url so it's not working right.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Micra is larger but more flexible. It's your call.

I prefer the Micra w/twistie, though. You can access all the parts easily - swap parts, whatever. The longer length actually helps in using the twist mode. You can also switch to "pushbutton" tactical mode (w/same twistie). Remove the head for candle mode, or for use as an area light (useful when you loose something in the grass). Screw a lanyard into the rear port and it hangs vertically for, say, a tent light. Use the side port for a pocket clip. With the McCapsule on the near horizon, you have your choice of converters and LEDs (and any ones that come out in the future). Can even have more than one capsule and swap easily. Can also get PR head soon, and can use 30mm now. Get eco tube for 2AA. Did I miss anything?

nightshade

Enlightened
It's the CPF battle cry, " Buy Both!" The Arc is smaller with better sidespill and regulation.The Micra is bigger with lots of options and mod potential,although they may tend to arrive with a easily fixable,off-centered hotspot.
I really like them both.The Micra is available now, with a limited run of Lsh's being ready in a month or three,enough forwarning to save up for the Arc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'd suggest the arc as well (any one you like, but the arc4 is the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

i don't personally own either ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ), but having seen them both in person, the micra just didn't stand out as anything out of the ordinary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

albert

Enlightened
Hi Morganch_oh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Buy LB Micra lah! Made here in SG, any problem can change with manufacturer until song song. McGizmo's coming out with McCapsule and PR head for it too.

Arc is good but a bit too costly. I will buy 1 to keep for the sake of keeping.

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
But I'm still hoping to get a ARC 4+...

Guest that I will have to start another threat
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif "Micra Vs Arc4+ " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
Hehe, flashlights are a funny thing. Everyone has a different opinion. I own the Arc 4+, Arc LSL-S, and Longbow Micra Twisty. The Micra is the one I carry EDC, even when I'm just wandering around the house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sidespill

Enlightened
Get both. The ARC LS is a great light it's the original 1x123 LS and they're being phased out. Want throw? Go with the LSHF-P. I have one but bumped it off EDC for the micra. Some people say it's too big but a firefly makes both the LB and ARC look big. Another concern is the PCB's used. The ARC will go in moon mode and light dimly for a while. The LB lights bright then when it's spent it's gone. I'm not a moon mode guy I chuck the battery when my lights fall out of regulation. If size and battery drain are issues for you then the ARC's your choice. these considerations are based on the stock format.

Okay now modified,
LONGBOW! Many upgrades appearing for the LB.
More lumens= upgrade to 3W boost current via Badboy converter
More throw= Longbow PR, The Pelican reflector is still king of throw for small lights.(LB also offers a turbohead, although i am not the biggest fan of large optics i am curious as to what reflectors will fit in the big turbohead)
Stand on tail feature= LB stands on tail with either tailcap twisty or clikie.
Lanyard and accesory attatchemts= Yep. screw in points for tripods and other 3rd party attatchments.
easily configured for different situations=The LB will be able to use mccapsules (custom led capsule with your choice of lux and converter) The mccapsules will also fit in classic surefire host i.e. SF C,P,M,Z series.

ARC LS Mods

Able to mod the board to deliver higher current.(downside not easily able to switch out)
Limited to using small optics or small reflector.
Able to mod to a two stage switch with HI/Low settings.

Like I said I like them both and will not give or sell either of them. But I gotta lean towards the Longbow because I love the modified lights and the LB is just more flexible in that area. But don't read me the wrong way guys I know there are a lot of ARC fanatics here that are sensitive to any constructive critisism to any of ARC's products. I like my ARC LS and my AAA. I have big respect for ARC as they were the first and It's much more respectable to be the first. Because it's just too easy to take someone's idea and improve on it. But the fact is that custom light makers and manufactures have improved on the ARC LS. While ARC has decided to discontinue the ARC LS and instead promote the ARC 4, which many people swear by. If I had the budget for one i'd grab one. but the price and switch design have detered me. I never held one but I thought the
ARC 4 simulator was more annoying than cool. No offense to ARC 4 owners just one persons honest opinion.

So what has this long rant lead to.
Hopefully a little more insight into purchasing a light.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can add a little more to the LB flexibility list. I finally managed to cram a minim#g reflector in (not for the faint of heart), and now it outthrows stock optic and 17mm. #30 o-ring and UCL fit perfectly.

You can probably do that with an LS too, but I never tried, so I'm not sure.