Surefire L4 and Inova X0

mbt25

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a comparision between these two lights? If so any thoughts or beam shots? Thanks

Sharp

Enlightened
I think it'd be almost impossible to compare the two lights. The L4 is a 5 watt FLOOD light, while the X0 is a 1 watt SPOT light. Just this would make the comparison nearly impossible. Obviously, the X0's got more throw and won't get as hot as the L4. The L4 is claimed to be at 65 Lumens while the X0 is claimed at 32 lumens. These two lights are similar just physically: battery necessities (both 123A's), shape, dimensions and body (both type III Hard Anodizing). IMO, these two lights are two completely different lights for two different tasks.

Just my two cents...

Richard

Sharp

Enlightened
mbt25,
If you mean a simple comparison between the two lights, well:
Talking about dimensions, the two lights are two different stories. The X0 is totally EDCable, where you can just throw it in your pocket and forget it there, while the L5 while most surely leave a bump in the pocket, and it isn't the kind of thing you like to feel. In some cases, it could also not fit the pocket, and a portion of the light will stick out. In summary, EDC talking, you'd have some complications if you meant to EDC an L5 throughout the whole day. The problem is not the light's lenght, but its overall bulkiness. However, it could be easily solved by a holster.

Both are Hard-Anodized three, and are LS-Based. However, the X0 is a one-watter and the L5 a five-watter. In the first case, through Inova's new "TIROS" system, 90+% of the light is collected and used, which doesn't happen in the L5, to my knowledge. I didn't run a beam test, but, despite Inova's TIROS, the X0 is still a one-watter and the L5 gives out a nice 4-5 watts of light.
Talking about throw, the X0's new optics should throw out pretty well and maybe get the longest throw in the 1 Watt category. The L5, OTOH, uses a welldriven 5-watter with a perfect stochastic reflector, which ensures a perfect beam.
However, there are two things that sure don't help the L5's beam. First off, 5 Watt Luxeons don't have the best throw in the Luxeon category. Second off, the used reflector (stippled) enhances beam quality but not throw, where you'd need a smooth reflector to get more throw.
Anyway, again, you get a Spot against a Flood. In the first case, you get the throw, but almost no side spill, while with a flood much light would get lost on the path, if pointed far away. Anyway, it would be an interesting practical test, to see the two lights' throws. To my knowledge and in my opinion, the L5 overally throws longer, with a larger illuminated area.
Last thing, the L5 gets the cake on numbers. It is in fact claimed at 65 lumens, while only 32 for the X0, but lumens not always mean everything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd almost say that the X0 is one of a kind of the stock-light industry, since it is the only light to use a Luxeon, and collimate its light in a spot beam, instead of a flood, or at least not a tight flood.

I really hope this helps you,
Richard