LED Fireflies

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
A creative idea, but the fireflies move too quickly, taking away from the effect.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I bookmarked the page, so if I have the money later (and if they haven't increased the price), I'll order up a set and see how they do, and of course, post my findings here on CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Seeing this product has already speaked an idea in my head for a better design. I'll have to research this further...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ok, I just ordered a set. We'll know how they do within the next 21 days - as quoted by the website.
We don't have firebugs here in the Seattle area, so I can't compare them with the real thing.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
Alright, I just got them about 9 minutes ago. As soon as I finish up two other evaluations, I'll get to them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm about to take the Fireflies out of the box and set them up now...I ought to have at least some form of web page ready later tonight - probably by 10:00pm PDT anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
No promises here, but I will try.

fuelblender

Enlightened
From the video I saw on their website, the simulated fireflys move (fly) too fast. I'm from the midwest and they aren't like the fireflys I remember. Nice idea though.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I never saw the video; it says it's for broadband users only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
But if you've seen real fireflies before, and think these move too fast, then I'll take your word for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I never saw the video; it says it's for broadband users only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
But if you've seen real fireflies before, and think these move too fast, then I'll take your word for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We haved fireflies in our backyard at this time of the year, and the ones in the video do move too fast. The video shows little blinking dots spinning around really quickly like houseflies with little flashlights. Fireflies move at about the same pace that mosquitoes move. That's why they're relatively easy to catch.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
has any one noticed fireflys respond to ya flashlights.or maybe its just seems that way to me

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
has any one noticed fireflys respond to ya flashlights.or maybe its just seems that way to me

[/ QUOTE ]

I had one respond to a blinking yellow Photon Microlight.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It probably wanted to screw the flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
If I remember correctly, fireflies use their lights for sexual purposes, like attracting a mate, signalling readiness, etc.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
It probably wanted to screw the flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
If I remember correctly, fireflies use their lights for sexual purposes, like attracting a mate, signalling readiness, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops! I was wondering what kind of a message I was sending to that firefly!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I heard from the inventor of these Fireflies this morning.
He thanked me for adding them to my website, and invited me to email him if I had any questions about the Fireflies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I decided to give the Fireflies a 4 star rating on my website.
While this isn't PERFECT, it's not a horrible and awful rating either.
Here are the pros and cons as stated on my website:

PROS:
Very unique - nothing like them exist - not that I know of anyway
Low voltage operation makes them electrically safe
Simulates the natural behaviour of firebugs - er - I mean - fireflies
Easy to put up and take back down
Low power consumption makes them easy on your electric bill

CONS:
Not all that water-resistant - especially those electric fans
Could become damaged by children and pets
Cords could become tangled up when stored - see above for one possible solution
Some have reported their motion is faster than that of real fireflies

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with fuelblender, the lights move much too quickly for fireflys. Cool concept, just doesn't accurately replicate the real thing.