Jelly Fish

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
true story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My wife LOVES the beach and the ocean (I prefer prowling the beach at night with a flashlight) we're in the water floating around one day on vacation and she is asking me why I don't like the ocean (as I'm obviously not having as good a time as she is) and I tell her that I don't like sharing the space with living things that can sting me that I can't see from here.

She says "I have been coming to this beach since I was a kid and I have NEVEr been stung, not even on...." and then screams as one gets her on the ankle.

I am not kidding. It really got her just as she was extolling to me how there was no danger from them.

Funny huh? Don't tempt fate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
I hate them in person but I like them on TV very interesting creatures look but do not touch.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are lucky if you survive a jellyfish attack. Not all jelly fish are that mildly venomous. The portugese man-of-war, and the boxed jelly fishes are very deadly. But then, not all jelly fishes are venomous either. It depends on your luck.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
But then, not all jelly fishes are venomous either. It depends on your luck.

[/ QUOTE ]One of the defining characteristics of a "jelly" is that they are ALL venomous. Some don't have the hardware needed to pierce human skin, however - so the result is that some can't hurt us. But again, ALL jellies are venomous.

Blooms of jellies (100's of 1000's in a small location being "born") is an awesome sight.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate the sea. Too many bitey things in there - big and small. I am afraid of the sea anyway. But I like watching submarine and deep sea movies. Really freaks me out.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
when i lived in fla i went diveing .youre right there is some scary stuff out there.i dove mostly in the keys

Greta

Flashaholic
JELLYFISHING! JELLYFISHING! JELLYFISHING!

jellyfishing.jpg

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Urgh!
I got stung once too! I've bitten through a tennis ball that day.

bindibadgi, it was nice knowing you, man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif ... bindi... you've never heard of SpongeBob Squarepants? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bindibadgi said:
OK, that was just disturbing ...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I watched Spongebob with my 5 year old son and it cracked me up. Very odd.

First Aid for Jellyfish Stings:

Immediately pour on vinegar or rubbing alcohol to stop the nematocysts from firing.

Lift off tentacles with a stick.

Later put on warm water and meat tenderizer to help break down the toxins and relieve pain.

The above is just for minor encounters or first aid for more serious encounters. The vinegar or alcohol will help right away while getting to a hospital.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
What BC0311 said was true. That is what we asians have been doing all along although I have not experienced a jelly fish sting and neither would I want to.

JOshooter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
true story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My wife LOVES the beach and the ocean (I prefer prowling the beach at night with a flashlight) we're in the water floating around one day on vacation and she is asking me why I don't like the ocean (as I'm obviously not having as good a time as she is) and I tell her that I don't like sharing the space with living things that can sting me that I can't see from here.

She says "I have been coming to this beach since I was a kid and I have NEVEr been stung, not even on...." and then screams as one gets her on the ankle.

I am not kidding. It really got her just as she was extolling to me how there was no danger from them.

Funny huh? Don't tempt fate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The jelly must've been named Murphy/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
rofl shooter i almsot was going to use that guy as a avator i was going to make one of him danceing i laugh every time i see him dance