Choosing a Ghost Tour light....

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I got to thinking the other day (a rare event these days)...

We're looking at taking a trip to an area with "ghost tours". I thought, in true Ghostbuster form, "I ain't afraid of no ghosts"... ...but I'd bring a really bright light along anyway just in case anyone else gets freaked out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And yes, I know the whole point of the tours is to get freaked out (and a little edjumacated), but we all need our little security blankets, don't we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Digging through the collection I came upon basically 3 options for really bright but reasonably compact that won't attract too much attention on a tour until "lit": The Streamlight TL-2 series (Scorpion, TL-2, NF-2), Streamlight TL-3, or SF M3. That's it. The 2 cell SF lights, true are very bright, but the beam is too wide for any moderate distance spotting (since part of the tours is conducted outdoors).

I couldn't believe it. None of my LED lights were really even worth considering. For the size you just can't beat the Edison bulb in terms of output.

I decided I would probably go with a TL-2 series for size and easy carry. Probably the NF-2 sans the clip and grip ring in a belt pouch.

What would you choose and why?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

amlim

Enlightened
M3 - to show the ghosts that you mean business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Got a blue light? It would bve fun to take a really blue light and create your own ghost! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy 4th everybody!

I like Roy's idea. Otherwise the TL's sound good. Might a wider spilling LS type be a good addition for closer inspection? You never know what might respond to the different wavelength.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Doug,

I am not sure how big your belt pouch is, but I have one that I drop my TigerLight (stock or JS modified) into. Of course, it may be too much light for ghosts...

Tom

Topper

Flashaholic*
A Dorcy AAA LED to lure them in then the SF M6 to vaporize them, but thats just me.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! Ghost tour! That would be interesting. I am a member of the Singapore Paranormal Investigators and I do ghost tours too. We call it the Ghoulish Trail. Besides that, we conduct investigations into reported hauntings. Investigation of haunt site can be very boring and a lot of time spent waiting. Equipment includes ultra sound recorders, thermal sensors, infrared sensors, motion detectors, electro magnetic field sensors, digital cameras, infrared video cams, and last but not least flashlights!

I would pack along my M3 with MN10 for power and long run-time, my M2 with P61 for standby power lighting, and my E2e with KL1 for long run-time when trekking. At times an Inova X5T for general usage.

Have Fun.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never seen a ghost so I don't know how bright a light you would need. However, I took my Mr. Bulk VIP on a tour of Kentucky's Mammoth Cave. The VIP worked out well. Also, for a good bright light with throw, I carry my E2e McLux PR-T 917 maH, made by the Don himself. I don't buy or carry incans anymore.

pjandyho,
I didn't know there were ghost in Singapore. I thought that they are an American invention! Just a bit of fun! Happy Independance day to everyone.

geek

Newly Enlightened
Oddly enough, I've spent a fair amount of time ghosthunting and investigating alleged hauntings. I've never been on an "official" ghost tour and am not exactly a veteran flashaholic, though, so I don't know how much weight you should give my specific light reccomendations.

For general purpose, default usage I'd prefer a multi-level LED light with good runtime. The durability of a LED is well-matched to the uncertain nature of paranormal investigation. Running your light in a low power mode will keep your eyes more acclimated to darkness as well as prolonging your battery life. Having a higher power level at the ready may keep you from missing something, especially if it happens quickly. I would consider the Surefire L1/L2/U2, Arc 4, and MrBulk VIP to be good options.

Indoors, I'd prefer a light with as much flood as possible. You never know where something might happen, so your light is unlikely to be pointed in exactly the right direction. The more even the flood the better you'll be able to look in all directions at once! The Surefire L4 sounds well-suited to this application.

Outdoors you'll want to have a light with good throw onhand, and I'd try for as much output as possible. You won't use your all-powerful light much, but when the situation warrants it, you'll be awfully glad you've got it. I used to use a Mag 4D for this purpose; when I start ghosthunting again, I'll likely invest in a Surefire M6.

If you're interested in the ghosthunting, you're likely aware of electrical phenomena - batteries dying early (or even all at once) and electronic devices behaving erratically. You might want to carry extra batteries with you, and even consider avoiding "smart" lights with regulators or microprocessors.

If I may suggest, be sure that you are extremely familiar with whatever equipment you choose to carry, flashlight or otherwise. When that elusive something happens, your familiarity with your equipment will become all-important. You'll have to react quickly.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
geek said:
If I may suggest, be sure that you are extremely familiar with whatever equipment you choose to carry, flashlight or otherwise. When that elusive something happens, your familiarity with your equipment will become all-important. You'll have to react quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. Now the Big Question: have you ever found anything noteworthy on your expeditions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

BobVA

Enlightened
L4 or similar for inside and the Scorpion for outside. If you can only carry one, go with the Scorpion and carry some extra batteries.

Me? I'd carry an unlicensed, backpack mounted particle accelerator. ("Important Safety Tip: Don't Cross the Beams") /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Venkmann

geek

Newly Enlightened
> have you ever found anything noteworthy on your expeditions?

I've never yet encountered a ghost in the classical sense, but I have seen and experienced some strange things, ranging from "standard" poltergeist phenomena to a burial ground that only sometimes exists.

If you're ever thinking of trying your hand at ghosthunting, I strongly advise you bring some friends along. It's easier to feel confident of your own sanity when you have witnesses.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
geek said:
I've never yet encountered a ghost in the classical sense, but I have seen and experienced some strange things, ranging from "standard" poltergeist phenomena to a burial ground that only sometimes exists.

If you're ever thinking of trying your hand at ghosthunting, I strongly advise you bring some friends along. It's easier to feel confident of your own sanity when you have witnesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not planning on it in the forseeable future, but I have been told about an alleged haunting in a co-worker's home, so this thread caught my interest.

Having a science-oriented background, it always bothers me to see those "ghosthunters" on TV, waving around their AlphaLabs EMF meter as if it was some sort of exotic "ghost detector." I have one of those meters, and it works really well for detecting EMI, RFI and microwave oven leakage, but that's about it.

In my opinion, if there really IS something out there, isn't it rather arrogant and/or silly of us to assume that whatever presence there is will occur in a form that is detectable using current instrumentation? If this phonemenon is real, how can we assume that it's happening in the electromagnetic spectrum, and only within that portion of the spectrum that we are capable of detecting?

I can't say that I believe in ghosts, but I also can't say that I have proof that they don't exist either. Again, just because I can't see it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I only have five saenses, and given that, I cannot be the final arbiter of what is real and what isn't.

I'm always open to new scientific discoveries and understanding, as long as the evidence is tangible.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
This reminds me of a recent trip to the Winchester Mystry house in San Jose, Ca.

The house is a mansion that was in a perpetual state of rennovation due to the delusions of one of the heirs to the Wichester Arms fortune. There are staircases that go nowhere, beautiful works of stained glass that will never see the sun, all sorts of wierd things.

I brought along a light similar to an ARC LSHF-P. It was more than enough to illuminate the nooks and crannies of the house. It was small enough to palm so that people were not aware that I was carrying it. It's runtime was long enough to last through the 1 hour tour with power to spare.

So something like that for the close up stuff, and a thrower like the Pelican M6 for the long range stuff, and you have it covered.

Daniel

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
In my opinion, if there really IS something out there, isn't it rather arrogant and/or silly of us to assume that whatever presence there is will occur in a form that is detectable using current instrumentation? If this phonemenon is real, how can we assume that it's happening in the electromagnetic spectrum, and only within that portion of the spectrum that we are capable of detecting?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said PhotonWrangler, I do agree with your point but there is some misunderstanding on your part. We do not know what is ghost. Neither is there a specific definition of what a ghost is all about. When ghost researchers carry EMI meters and whatever equipment they have, it is not more for detecting ghost but more of to study if in the event of a presence or sighting would there be any changes in the atmospheric pressure, or temperature, or electro-magnetic field. It is a study of sorts and is never meant as an instrument of detection. Please get that right.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
Well said PhotonWrangler, I do agree with your point but there is some misunderstanding on your part. We do not know what is ghost. Neither is there a specific definition of what a ghost is all about. When ghost researchers carry EMI meters and whatever equipment they have, it is not more for detecting ghost but more of to study if in the event of a presence or sighting would there be any changes in the atmospheric pressure, or temperature, or electro-magnetic field. It is a study of sorts and is never meant as an instrument of detection. Please get that right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point is well taken, pjandyho. To the extent that such instruments are used for evaluating local electromagnetic conditions, that is a valid use of the devices. In at least one case, such devices were used to disprove the existence of a ghost. They discovered a blower motor that was kicking on and producing both a subaudible rumble and a blast of static electricity in the air. These conditions, occuring together in a dark, spooky house, could easily lead someone into thinking that a "presence" has suddenly entered the room. The low-frequency rumble was actually being felt rather than heard, adding to the effect.

This study was a credible and responsible use of the instruments.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something with a momentary clickie would be best. Led light tends to be "ghostly" in appearance as is due to it's lack of red spectrum. Perhaps a hybrid, like a SL Twintask, so that you can hit an area with led and incan lights in quick succession to be sure you're seeing what you think/hope you are.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Something with a momentary clickie would be best. Led light tends to be "ghostly" in appearance as is due to it's lack of red spectrum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point! White LEDs do tend to have a bluish cast and can even cause some things to fluoresce a little because of the blue content. This would definitely add to the spookiness! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif