single "D" or "C" led?

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
single \"D\" or \"C\" led?

does exist some flashliht that runs with a single c or d size battery? with 3-5 5mm leds like a streamlight syclone for example, with this type of battery can run a lot of days with a pocketable size, it will be useful in some dangerous situation

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: single \"D\" or \"C\" led?

Someone made a D battery holder for an Arc AAA head, I think.

It's probably better to just get a CMG Infinity or Infinity Ultra or Arc AA, and a few spare AA cells. That's much more pocketable.

The Tek-Tite Trek Lithium runs on a special 3.6 volt AA sized lithium computer battery, is pocket sized and very tough and waterproof, and will run for 10 days or so. That may be the best for a lifeboat or something like that.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking the same though - a D cell LED. That would be great for using the spare D cell you get from the 4 pack when you feed a 3D torch of some description.

I don't feel right about just saving up the single Ds until I have three of them.

P.S. I generally use Alks, since the 3D lights I have sit unused for some time and I don't want them to need charging every time I need them.

paulr

Flashaholic

I don't think a D light can be pocketable. Imagine people asking you "is that a D-cell LED light in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?".

If you want to make an absolute runtime monster, I'd say get a cheap 3D flashlight (Brightstar makes some) and one of the resistor limited PR LED drop-in bulbs. Runtime should be weeks or more.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

ok, in effects it is not much pocketable a 1-D but what I have in mind is a torch with a diameter of approximately 38-40mm and long 110-120mm even with a lantern function, with 4 led it could make a decent light for many days.

the same torch but with one battery C-size would reduce the diameter to 31-33mm.

a D-size has a capacity of about 20000mah therefore 6-7 times a AA.

a c-size about 9000mah 3 times a AA-size.

moreover, in a emergency situation, could be taken the empty batteries of who, as an example, has one incandescent lantern or radio (that usually uses c or d size battery). it's residual charge could make to work very well in this torch for several hours

therefore the risk is reduced to have only torchs with batteries AA and to even have to disposition only C or D

an example that i have in mind: (http://www.nuwai.com.tw/images/as810.gif) but with a single c or d

paulr

Flashaholic

If you're using the old C or D batteries from a radio or lantern, chances are it uses 4 batteries, so the simplest approach is just connect some LED's and resistors to a battery holder. I've been meaning for a while to make something like that.

paulr

Flashaholic

Looks like they have some three cell LED bulbs. Dropping one into this light:

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?sku=KOE2625

would last practically forever. There's a spare bulb compartment in the tail cap (like a Mag) so you could put an incandescent bulb there in case you needed a bright light.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a 2D version of that light with a Badboy 650 in it. I used it because it has a metal reflector to absorb heat. I didn't know the light was still being made.

The light last virtually forever on the original, dead, cells.

OK, back to single D or C lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

Those Brightstars have metal reflectors? Wow, cool, I wonder if they can be transplanted into other hosts.

Note there's also the Blaster 1R/Anglelux if you want a 2D Luxeon light.

I remember for certain, that sometime a while back, someone made a 1D battery holder for an Arc AAA. Yes, here. Is this pretty close to what Davide was asking for?