Need to get this off my chest!

naromtap

Enlightened
I found myself working on a private estate at a party in the country one night recently & all the valet parkers there were carrying 2D Cell Eveready torches (obviously standard issue) that they were constantly playing with, shining them in eachothers eyes & up into nearby tree's etc etc I had my SFM6 (fresh batteries & HOLA installed) in the trunk of my car & I was itching to get it out, the itch turned to a burning sensation when the whole lot of them were huddled together on a helipad waiting to watch a firework display that was due to start & one of them shouted "right - who's got the brightest torch?", I let them finish their competition then walked away with my now palmed VIP & used it to negotiate the terrain, I could hear the frisson generating from the group behind me & comments like "thats one of those little ones" & "its bright tho" It was nice to be able to put their lights to shame with something they could'nt even see but I still had a burning desire to get all 10 of them to shine their lights in what spot & then me wash the lot out with my M6! lol
I stiil don't know how I managed to stop myself from getting the SF M6 out as it's physical size matched their Everready's perfectly & I would suspect their expressions would have been a picture lol. I recited this story to a friend over a pub lunch the next day & his astonished response was " butI thought people like you live for moments like that" lol

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you resist the temptation?!?
If I were you, I wouldn't have waited one second.
For your obviously higher level of self-control, sir, I deeply salute you!

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
My E2e was brighter than all 10 little Eveready 2D lights at this astronomy class.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Last night I was camped at my shack at the end of TVOD Road in the desert near Landers, CA. About 9:30 my brother returned from "town" with his hi beams on. My SF M6 was at hand! (At least he didn't hit us or the shack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
lol ninja, i did the same thing at my astronomy class last semester. i had an L4. and i brought an M3T one time. really awed people. professor included. his 5MW laser awed me, i still want one of those even though i have absolutely ZERO need for one.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who would have resisted man. I am always waiting for moments like this to happen. My brightest currently is my M3 but it is already a big hooo-haaa to many!

My friends and I would always walk up to places where people are camping and wait for them to shine their lights at us. When that happens we will all Surefire them. It's pure fun babe! Pure fun!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just dont let on how much they cost. When asked, i usually tell them a figure 50% of the true value, and i *still* get funny looks.

batterystation

Enlightened
I was at a summer concert once watching people all over shining flashlights on the yet dark stage. Some guy on the other hill fires up the brightest of all of them yet, but not enough to impress me. He got oohs and ahhs. I then lit up my King Pelican with laser spot reflector and 8 fresh D batteries and shined it on the stage. He turned his light OFF. It was hilarious. If you are sure you can win the battle, crank it up.

sidespill

Enlightened
At work we marshall in aircraft with the 2D plastic GI flashlights with the white plastic cones attatched to the bezel. One night I hopped em up with 3x123 to D holders and KPR112's. After i parked the jet I got the other crew chiefs were like " Randy does your wife think you're weird you flashlight nerd " The pilots thought it was funny.

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
haha, SOUNDS FUNS!! when i work as security during holidays since i was a full time student.. the night about 4am in the morning i got my E2 from my friend.. my supervisor says that only he can carry SMALL AND BRIGHT LIGHTS!! and i know why he says that!! becuase he ENVY my E2!!!

luxlover

Banned
I say that we take a vote to have naromtap tarred and feathered, and then quartered.......for his indiscretion!

I am sure that this chap has learned a valuable lesson by posting here. Next time "show off!"

naromtap

Enlightened
How, Why....?! I just don't know, maybe deep down I thought the whole situation was just too good to be true & in actual fact those blokes where not actually valet parkers but flashlight theives using their Evereready's as bait for bigger game?! They woulda tied me up and nicked my M6, I suppose I woulda still had my concealed VIP on me so coulda used the Kings Crown Feet on that to hack through the rope, they woulda have had to use the M6 to negotiate their escape as their 2D Eveready's were useless so that would mean that they would have had to have gone to ground within 20 minutes as they woulda run out of light on the M6, I woulda still had a few hours worth of light left to flush em out with my VIP, yes, your all right I really shoulda thought it through properly!

luxlover

Banned
I certainly hope that my tarred, feathered, and quartered stuff made you laugh! Never mind the torture and punishment routine. Based on your scenario, you are a very KOOL bloke. It sounds like you will have a handle on the next confrontation, and will be ready to kick some arse when the situation warrants it.

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with showing off your high output, high priced, and high tech lights, when a level of brightness greater than what is available is needed. The wow factor comes in, when C or D-cell light toting folks see how much light is emitted from such small sized lights as the E1e/KL4 combo, or the L1. My brightest light is an L4, and when people see how bright it is for such a little device, they are amazed. An L4 is poop compared to an M6. "You da man, naromtap!

naromtap

Enlightened
Yeah don't worry Luxlover I did laugh at the tarred & feathered bit tho did think that the quartered bit was a rather extreme finale! I've learnt a valuable lesson & you mark my words the next person I see flaunting a 2D Evereready is gonna get it!!

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admire your restraint. Nobody likes a show-off. The mark of a true flashaholic is to have the impressive light when it is actually needed for something useful. Then it really means something.

Besides, you won anyway with the VIP. Why bring out more firepower than necessary. Now you still have something in reserve for when someone tries to one-up the VIP.

naromtap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
I admire your restraint. Nobody likes a show-off. The mark of a true flashaholic is to have the impressive light when it is actually needed for something useful. Then it really means something.

Besides, you won anyway with the VIP. Why bring out more firepower than necessary. Now you still have something in reserve for when someone tries to one-up the VIP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I hear you Lurker - how does the saying go - 'real power is having it & not using it' or something similar?!

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Just dont let on how much they cost. When asked, i usually tell them a figure 50% of the true value, and i *still* get funny looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you not tell them their true prices? Are you afraid of people poking fun at you for being a flashaholic? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I admit, it is a little embarassing telling people how much you spent on a light. Especially if you have a light that really costs a bit too much for how much light it puts out. (L6 is what pops into my mind. Highest relative $/light output I can think of. But I do think it's one of the sexiest lights out there.)

Latest posts