Lights you wish they'd make

paulr

Flashaholic
Lights you wish they\'d make

No science fiction please (i.e. no 1000 watt HID keychain lights). Just stuff that someone could straightforwardly make with existing standard technology, but doesn't, and you wish they did. Here are some of mine:

1) a 1AA, compact lightweight headlamp, along the lines of the CMG Tracer or PT Aurora, but powered by an AA (or two AA's if needed), for those of us who like to standardize our equipment on one battery type. Yes there's lots of AA-powered lights (PT Corona etc). but they're way bigger and bulkier. I'm imagining something with two or three 5mm leds and a boost converter.

2) 1AA Luxeon pocket light, like a brighter and whiter Arc AA. Many modders have built these. Almost every question about the Arc AA/AAA/CMG Ultra/etc. are about making it brighter or whiter. A Luxeon running at 150 mA or so would completely solve this problem, and still have good runtime. The new ISP 100 mA 5mm led would be another good candidate for this type of light.

3) 2AA and 2D plastic Luxeon lights, sort of like the UKE 4AA eLED but using 2AA (smaller) or 2D (longer runtime). Underdriven Luxeon with reflector, light weight. The Elektrolumens Anglelux and Blaster 1R are sort of steps in this direction but I'm imagining something lighter and cheaper. And no, I'm not looking for an Everled or a metal light.

4) 2AAA waterproof light (like PT Blast) but with a spare bulb inside (several premature Blast bulb failures make me leery of the integrated lamp/reflector assembly). Aside from the issue of bulb failure, these lights are simpler and cheaper than LED lights of remotely comparable brightness, so they do have their uses in the world.

5) Waterproof coin cell keychain light. The old version of the CMG O-4 was sort of an attempt at this, but was large and clunky, and its weirdly shaped gasket didn't really seal out water all that well. The new version has no constant-on so its usefulness is diminished quite a bit without reducing the size. The simplest approach would be a squeeze-only light that's permanently sealed on every seam (no battery replacement possible). If cheap enough, that would be fine.

6) Wristwatch LED light that clips onto the watchband like some little compasses do, powered by coin cell(s). A few CPF'ers have made these but I don't know why they're not made commercially. Similarly, watches with built-in LED lights. There are a few very expensive ones but it seems to me like there should be a lot more G-shock type watches with this feature.

7) Rechargeable 5 watt compact LED light, basically a Streamlight Strion with a KL4-like head. Yeah I know about Pila batteries, but by a rechargeable light, I mean one that you can just drop into a charger without having to remove the battery. Maybe some modders are working on hosting something like this in the Strion?

8) AAA Anglehead light, basically an Arc AAA except the LED points perpendicular to the body. That lets you clip the light into your shirt pocket and have it pointing forward. Similarly, coin cell lights could be made that way.

9) Ultra-compact, lightweight, 2AA or 4AA solar NiMH charger. There are tons of solar chargers on the market, but they are unnecessarily heavy and bulky. The manufacturers don't seem to realize that backpacking is an obvious application for solar chargers, and bulk and weight have to be minimized.

10) Properly designed solar LED light. Basically another iteration of the Swisslight, with the bugs fixed. The main fix needed is that a light like this should be impossible to overcharge. The Swisslight instructions warn you to not leave the Swisslight out in the sun too long. That means you can't carry it in the obvious way, clipped to the outside of your belt or pack, so it's always getting charged and you don't have to think about it til you need it. It should also be totally waterproof to the point of being able to withstand swimming and accidental trips through the washing machine.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Lights you wish they\'d make

light size of 3 d mag or smaller with rechaargable power supply and as bright as ya can make it but have 20 min utes run time

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

an affordable maxabeam type spotlight (or under $300 x990 considering the hid mods I see that cost under that...)
a long life 5W emitter in the arc5 and a rechargeable, multi-level MR-X
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

First, something along the lines of a high-output Magcharger but with a 3" head. And skip the focus adjustment for a hot spot/dim spill outfit.

Second, a 24V 8x123, heavy black knurled aluminum job. Narrow head. Wonder what's available in a 24V incan bulb? Hmm, how 'bout twin 12V for power and redundancy?

That about does it for me. Maybe if SF put the 6C back into production and/or made a couple of their newer models without the bored-CNC-programmer design.

paulr

Flashaholic

Another one for me: an AA-powered 5 watt LED light. I'm imagining something like a PT Surge body with eight AA's and a DB750.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

great ideas, paulr!

i will hopefully be building my own version of what i would like. yeah, ive stated this before, but i can dare to dream, right?

i would really like a pocketable (about the size of an arc aa or infinity ultra) LS using 1 aa (a 123 would be ok too) and be regulated at prehaps 350ma.

i would like the head to twist to 4 detents: 1st detent is off. 2nd detent is about 5 lux. 3rd detent is about 50-100 lux. 4th detent is full on.

you could add a clicky to the rear, which would allow you to leave the light in whatever brightness mode you choose, or in the 1st detent, which would lock out the light.

also, im with ya on the 2d lights. a 2d doesnt need to be a big as a darn mag. make one about the size of a surge, and include a mildly underdriven luxeon. perhaps you could have collimators/optics of choice. i like the idea of modularity.

one last desire: a 2-123 PR based light! think UK 2L with a PR bulb. lithiums, small, waterproof, reliable, inexpensive and easy to find bulbs.
you could choose high output xenon or lower output kryptons. whichever suits your needs. make the beam nice.

Bob

BillBill

Newly Enlightened

2AAA m*g luxeon:really small; two batts can drive the emitter at 300ma or more.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm half with BillBill. How about an Arc AAA with a 300-400mA driven luxeon and an off-lo-hi head switch.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been on this board for almost two years... the Arc Luxeon AA keeps coming up over and over. Since we are dreaming, make my Arc AA with three settings (rotating magnet ring ala' Surefire) Settings of 10mA, 50mA and 200mA would be perfect.
Oh yeah, use only R binned Luxeons so we can get "normal" Luxeon light with only 200mA. Basically, an adjustable output MicroIlluminator built into an Arc AA. Since I am dreaming, increase the stand-up tail thickness for more durability.
I think Peak is working on the light that we have been begging for the last two years. The adjustable output is not included but a single AA with Luxeon should sell very, very well. Hopefully they use a current regulator so it will have even output.
2004 is the year of the Luxeon, and the first half is over. I think I will have a Peak AA Luxeon by Christmas if I was a betting man.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

well i realy want a 5 watt single die led. can ya imagine the throw on that puppy

paulr

Flashaholic

I think a 350 mA AA or especially AAA-powered Luxeon isn't feasible, at least with ordinary alkaline batteries. It would have to draw well over 1 amp from the battery, plus heat dissipation would be an issue with the AAA. The modded AAA's that I know of run in the 150 mA range which is probably about the limit.

Re 2x123 light with PR bulb: don't forget the bigger PR bulb needs a big reflector to focus comparably to a small bi-pin bulb. That's why the Tec40 reflector is so big. You'd need a comparable reflector for a 2x123 light, so the light wouldn't be so compact after all.

Re 5 watt single die: of course you could get more throw by just using a bigger reflector, like the Space Needles do.

jamesraykenney

Newly Enlightened

A light with a spool of magnesium wire with a feed mechanism to feed it out as it burns.
Clockwork wind-up mechanism, so you can leave it forever without worrying about batteries.
Should have a nice beam because of the very small light emitter.
One problem would be disposing of the VERY white ash.
I suppose you could just leave the front open without a lens, just like a carbide light.

David_Campen

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
an AA-powered 5 watt LED light. I'm imagining something like a PT Surge body with eight AA's

[/ QUOTE ]
This is close to what I want except I want something with the smaller form factor of only 4 AA cells. The UK 4AA is a perfect form factor - small enough to fit in a pocket. I don't mind paying for L91 lithium AA to meet the drain requirements. I currently have a UK 4AA body using L91 lithium cells with the 4 watt, 4.8 volt incandescent bulb from a UK 4AA rechargeable that gives me about the 5 watt output but it would be nice to have it with a 5 watt LED instead of the incandescent bulb.

Even better would be the same as above but with a 10 watt output. I would even settle for having to use an incandescent bulb if I could get this much output. I wouldn't mind that I only got 1.5 hours of burn time from a set of L91 batteries.

I specifically want L91 AA batteries instead of the 123s because my other equipment (headlamp, GPS) uses AA cells and I want to minimize the number of spares I carry by maximizing the interchangeability.

Frangible

Enlightened

I want an Arc AAA with a Luxeon 1W.

Arc LS size is too big IMO, but Arc AAA is too dim since it only has a 5mm LED...

idleprocess

Flashaholic

A car cigarette-lighter flashlight that isn't a joke.

Instead of using a cheesy incadescent and a NiCd battery that's guaranteed to be useless by the time you actually need the light, how about a supercapacitor that has no charge memory and an ISP high-power LED or underdriven luxeon? You won't get HOURS of runtime, but you'll get a high-performance light that lasts for several minutes when needed.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lights I wish they made:

Pelican M6 LED 2x123A cell with 3-watt luxeon, type III HA, fully regulated.

Pelican M6 LED chambered in 2C, and 2D-cells (alkaline). This would allow one to use higher life batteries (C or D-Cell depending on model), and also relatively easier to find batteries. Scale up the size a bit, and use the same basic fabulous textured reflector (built up to C/D cell size).

Surefire L1 (redesign the old model) with textured reflector, and GOOD tint quality.

Surefire L3 (new model) with 3-watt luxeon star emitter, and 15 lumen low output followed by 50 lumen high output (dual switch like the current L1/L2 design).

2AAA luxeon models (any quality manufacture, don't care which). There are so many good 2AA luxeons (Arc LSH battery pack, Streamlight Lux Jr, modded Maglites), but no good 2AAA luxeons I can think of.

junior

Enlightened

Mini-Mag AA with Push button tailcap, Luxeon bulb - straight from factory for about $20.00 dollars. They are a large corporation and I know that they could in fact put one out for about $20.00. StreamLight did it for about 26.00 -30.00 retail and they are not as big as maglight.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

357 I like the idea you had with the Pelican.I think for the money my PM6 LED is the best light I own.I really wish they would make the exact same style light with a 5 watt LED.The body is very beautiful with a great reflector however I am not sure how this reflector would perform with a 5 watt...anyway just wishing here