vortex lr5 5 times 5 watt luxeons?

powerhungry

Newly Enlightened
Hi I was just checking through some web sites and came across the vortex lr5 which they said has 5 5 watt luxeon star leds. Does this mean it has 25 watts of luxeon power in one rechargeable torch? which has a run time of 90 minutes Am I missing something? or have I understood the spec's wrong. That seems to me too good to be true. The price for this bright monster is $99 nzd which is about fifty us dollars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i doubt it uses 5 5 watt luxes cuase the price would be a lot more

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean this?

It does say that, but I guess 5 1W LEDs are in there. It doesn't make sense otherwise. Sounds pretty good though. If you get one, let us know how it is.

Actually, it looks like there's no reflector or lens in there, so it's a flood light I guess.

powerhungry

Newly Enlightened
Yep i certainly thought the same so I e-mailed the company. They then told me that it uses 5 5 watt luxeons and that it was very bright. But I still think that they dont know what they are talking about.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ask them to explain in detail what each LED looks like. If it has one little yellow square, its a 1 (or 3) Watter. If it has four little yellow squares its a 5W, but I doubt it is.

If they tell you they blinded themselves, then you know that they don't know what they are talking about.

Kiu

Enlightened
"From the Specifications:
5 Cell (1/2C) Nickel Cadmium battery pack (3.6V, .35 amp hour) "

The battery capacity is just 6.3Ah. If it is a 5x5W, the runtime is within 15mins. Further, I dont believe the battery can delivery such high current(6.9A??).

It make more sense if it is 5x1W which have within 90mins runtime. It still should be a nice flood flashlight using rechargable.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 5watt Luxeons would not fit in something that small and overheat it in 10 minites. The batteries would die in 15 minites. Its BOGUS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
bindibadgi ... the 5W has no visible 4 squares, it has one bigger square ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto Xminxm re the power needs.

Sounds like they are a bit confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif And the bulb? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif Don't they know it is not a bulb? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Nichia has a high-power LED that can run up to 1.7W. They call it the "Jupiter." I don't know the part number offhand.

It looks like a giant SMD part with hefty leads. It's available with and without a lens.

bindibadgi:
It's possible to make out the 4 seperate die on a 5W portable emitter if you look at it very closely. Even if you can't get a close look, 5W emitters go edge-to-edge within the package whereas 1 and 3W emitters have quite a bit of whitespace around them.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I believe the part number for the Nichia Jupiter is NCCW022. This is for the white-emitting version with lens.
I tested one of these back in mid-March.

nccw0222.jpg
nccw0221.jpg

Find it about halfway down this page.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
siruis and i-led look neat from nichia. 380nm 85mW optical power and 365nm 100mW optical power. Wow. thats a lot of uv, and that's low wavelength!! I wonder how long they last?!!

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is right, then they need to patent their drive circuitry quick, 'cause I don't know how they squeeze that much runtime out of a battery like that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
Seems just an innocent spec mix-up. Went to site as per rd's post and got:

"LED RECHARGEABLES
LR5 - 5 LED 16 cm 100 g 3.6V .35Ah Ni-Cad Nichia LED 1.5 hrs n/a n/a 8 hours
LR8 - 8 LED 13.4 cm 200 g 3.6V 1.3Ah Ni /MH Nichia LED 3 hrs n/a n/a 10 hours
TR5 - 5 WATT 19.1 cm 460 g 6V 1.5Ah Ni /MH Luxeon Star LED 1 hr, 10 min"

Looks like the Lr you mention is as per vortexvision site - Nichia and 3.6V 0.35Ah battery. There is the TR now with Luxeon, but 6V 1.5Ah battery.

For $99 you'll probably be getting the Lr - Nichia and 0.35Ah battery.

Chris