hmmm...another fire-fli

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came across this on lifestyle fascination. A stainless steel keychain light with zinc air technology /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

web page

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I might be wrong, but I heard that Zinc-air technology if far mor efficient than lithium, it just keeps on going once opened up, which limits its usefulness for us ingeneral, but maybe not in a pure emergency light.
bernhard

Kram

Newly Enlightened
Bernhard,

You're right about the energy density of zinc-air batteries being greater than lithium. You're also correct in that in normal applications, these batteries will die a slow death after allowing air into them.

I think the Fire-Fli attempts to deal with that by shutting off the air supply when you turn the light off, therby preserving the remaining capacity of the cells. It's a fascinating idea because you can make a really tiny flashlight, but I haven't yet been willing to spend the money for one myself. Part of what originally caught my interest in this area was that I acquired an assortment of new zinc-air hearing aid batteries and I wanted to see what I could do with them and LEDs. Unfortunately, I have not been able to determine (through multiple web searches) just what size battery the Fire-Fli uses.

Mark

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I guess I'll just have to order one for CPF sakes then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Going to web page now...BRB...ok, order processed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
I would love to hear more about this little gem when you get it in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had one for several months now. I carry it on a keychain, more as a novelty, than anything else. Most of my friends think I only go for the high powered stuff, so they are pretty impressed when I show off this tiny light.

I don't use it a lot, but I have only changed batteries in it once in the several months I've had it. I do use it at least every couple of days for a short time, just to make sure it's still working or to show off. I'm not really sure I needed to change batteries when I did, but I just couldn't believe the original set of batteries had lasted so long.

It doesn't put out a lot of light, but in a dark room, you would have no problem walking around without tripping on something or banging into something.

For it's size, it's almost a must carry - both for novelty value and as an emergency backup.

capnal

Enlightened
Hey, Kiessling (Bernhard)
I know you are a big fan of the LedLenser line of products. So I have a question that is relevant to this thread. This past Friday I looked at and handled for about 15 minutes a really small "mini moon lenser". It, too, was running off 4 small coin cells that the salesperson described to me as hearing aid batteries. I really liked it, but did not buy it because I wanted to research the cells more. Turns out they cost less than $1 each, so I will be going back to get it. Do you think this little key ring light is using the same principal?

Don't know the "V" number of the one I was looking at, but they had it right next to the mini moon lenser that was running off a single AAA, and it was smaller than that.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
A new patent pending technology was invented just for this light! The Zinc-Air System controls air within the light to stretch the life of triple power hearing aid batteries to 80 hours, employing fuel cell technology.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fuel cell technology, eh? Looks like a bargain at $25 if it really does pack a fuel cell in that tiny footprint...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, I'll find out soon enough...I ordered one last night, and I'll examine the batteries more closely than usual when I start assembling the evaluation page for this flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(Edit, 7:39pm PDT)
I received an email confirmation at 2:10pm PDT today, so I ought to have the Fire-Fli inside a week.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Received my FireBug - I mean - FireFli around 1:30pm PDT today (remember, the CPF clock is about 12 minutes slow); I'll start a web page for it this evening, post the URL when it's published, and start a battery discharge analysis on it probably tomorrow.

The packaging reads "80+ Hours Continuous Use"...we'll see about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kram

Newly Enlightened
Great, Craig. I'm looking forward to it. This little light seems interesting.

Thanks for all you do.

Mark

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ok, the page isn't written up yet, but there are a few photographs that some might find useful.

http://ledmuseum.jpoproductions.com/firefli.htm

(Edit, 5:51pm PDT)
The page is more complete now than it was before. I have a secret project that needs to be worked on, and another product that needs to be evaluated (the General Hybrid UK Luxeon Driver), so I might as well publish the FireFli page now, and get busy on that secret project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmmmmm- Secret project......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just started the battery discharge analysis on the FireBug - I mean - FireFli, so a chart will be available when the test is finished. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't have any more of the #10 zinc-air cells, so if this test gets ruined, I won't be able to start another one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The secret project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif involves some 1 watt SMD LEDs that aren't Luxeons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif; that's about all I can say at this moment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(Edit, a few moments later)
I just ordered four more cells ($11.90 total /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif), so if I screw this test up, I'll be able to run another in about a week.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I started the battery discharge analysis on the FireFli last night, and it started with an arbitrary reading of 0.184. It dropped to 0.106 within the first hour or so, so I wasn't holding out too much hope for it. But it's STILL at 0.106 as of 8:49am PDT this morning, which is above the 50% intensity level. So all I can do now is wait for it to start circling the drain.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It's been over 44 hours now, and it's still well above 50% intensity.
It started with an arbitrary reading of 0.184, then fell to 0.106 within a couple of hours. It's now at 0.110 and still plugging along. (the half-intensity point is 0.920).

Looks like the little FireBug - er - FireFli really is all it's cracked up to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif