Arc LSH-P/4+ buying dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipioz

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

This is my first post here on the Arc Flashlight forum. I don't have any Arcs, but that's going to change. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, I have a dilemma. As I have a weakness for classics I strongly feel the urge to buy one or two of the LSH's because they will be no longer available after the last batch. However I also feel very attracted to an Arc4+, mainly because it can be used for so much edc tasks. But, then again I think: "I can always buy an Arc4+ later"

My question is: what should be my first Arc (considering that I only have one chance to get an LSH-P)?

Arthur

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford it, buy both! (It is worth it). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
I like the AA and the LS models myself. Those are the 2 most rock steady lights I've ever owned or seen (and that's saying something). in my experiance the Arc LS WILL NOT EVER let you down. Same for the AA.
Don't get me wrong - I love my 4 and use it more than any other light own but the 4 will be avialable longer than the LS. I always choose the rarer of the two items when i am buying.

You can't go wrong with a LS.

fuelblender

Enlightened
I recommend the ARC LSHP-F. This model incorporates the fraen type optics. a LOT brighter than the LSHP. I also have 2 ARC4's but I use my LSHP-F for my EDC - it has better form factor IMO. Get one - it's a classic, it has a terrific form factor, it's brighter than the LSHP and you'll stand a better chance of getting a light without a switch issue. You can always get an ARC4 after all the bugs are worked out.

fuelblender

Enlightened
It kicks butt, doesn't it Trevor? I like it better than my Longbow. Out of all the lights I have, the LSHP-F is the KING. That's my honest opinion.

LSHP-F.jpg

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
eipioz said:

My question is: what should be my first Arc (considering that I only have one chance to get an LSH-P)?

Arthur

[/ QUOTE ]

Arthur,

Keep in mind that the LSH will always be available on the B/S/T Forum.

Paul

paulr

Flashaholic
Your first Arc should be the AAA.

As for the LS/H/P/F vs Arc4+, in my opinion the LS series were wonderful lights in their day, but the newer Arc4+ is a superior and more advanced successor. Its electronic switching is more reliable than the LS's mechanical switching the same way that a G-shock is more reliable than a Rolex (if you don't believe that, throw both watches against a brick wall a few times and see which one is still running--it won't be the Rolex). The 4+'s reflector produces a smoother spill beam than the optics in any of the LS series. And its variable brightness is a big plus, though I'd be happy with three or four levels and have no need for 16 levels.

However, the LS has some traditionalist appeal just like Rolexes do. There are always going to be folks who prefer it, and you may be one of them. The CPF motto if you're not sure what to buy is "buy both".

That said, if you buy an LSH-P, I'd recommend the regular version rather than the Fraen version. The Fraen has a brighter center spot (some people live for that) but much less spill. In practical use, a nice, bright, wide spill is often handier than a long range center beam. I guess the tradeoff depends on whether you'll mainly use the light for looking at nearby objects or faraway ones. I think any 1-watt light is going to be best for relatively short range use, and for longer range the best approach is to get something more powerful.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I find myself having a difficult time answering Author's question. Both are great lights, with a big difference in price. I guess it's going to boil down as to which features are most important to you. If you just was a reliable light that comes on and goes off, has a nice beam, with good runtime than get the LSH. If you want a light with a reflector which yeilds a much better beam, plus multiple brightness settings then get the Arc4.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my 4+s, but the LS aint dead yet, not by a longshot. I prefer the LSs smaller size and pocketability. It's also a great host for mods- increased drive current, swapping optic/reflectors, the ability to run on AA rechargeables, etc. It's also a tried and true, fully matured platform with little to no "suprise factor". Personally, I'd pick up a couple LSs and see what the future holds for the 4+. Either that or "BTB". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Good points Peter. As a matter of fact, I just took my 667 mA Fraen modded LSH and swapped the optics out with a reflector. It also has the hi/lo switch installed. Great light.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the LS, love the IMS reflector, love the G_L hi/lo switch! A boosted Arc LS so equipped is what is most often found in my pocket. I love my VIP and my 4+ too, but you just can't beat the size of the LS.

Peter

ledy

Newly Enlightened
I think the LS would make it a very good EDC. It's small and bright and very reasonable runtime. But then once you have the LS, you'll just want to have the ARC4, then ARC5... you are in deep trouble.

Mattman

Enlightened
I say go with the LSH-P and a hi/lo switch. It's cheaper, smaller and does essentially the same thing as an Arc4 - and you can use AA batteries with it. For me, small size is more important than the other stuff when EDCing.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LSH. I would get one off of BST later, but I like the feeling of something straight outta the factory. (Wish Arc did lay away, 150 for a LSH-P is a lot for a 15 year old like me)

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey Garage, do you have an ARC AAA yet?

not crazy bright--but always there when ya need it!

Bob

Al

Enlightened
I don't have either, but will soon.
However, when reviewing posts in this (and other) sections of CPF there seem to be many references to "switch problems", "software bugs", etc.

What's the real bottom line of information on ARC LS - ARC4 reliability? Much bucks involved.
Thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.