PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Cool AC plug - (Now why didn\'t I...?)

Toyama Design

01.jpg

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cool AC plug - (Now why didn\'t I...?)

I don't know. Personally I think the whole thing is silly. I think the primary attributes of a good plug are durability and low cost. How do you assess that from a picture? My guess is that everyone associated with this contest would have a hard time distinguishing their *** from their elbow.

I like the molded on plugs that come on extension cords. When I need to replace a plug or cord, I buy an extension cord with molded on plug and cut off the end I don't need.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks nice. I guess that making it easy to use with limited dexterity is one of the design goals. It may have achieved that, but I can't really tell from the picture.

I recently found some extension cords with plugs that lay flat against the wall instead of sticking straight out. I find that to be a great plug design because it fits in tight places like behind a dresser. Most of my plugs seem to be hidden behind something.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Most of my plugs seem to be hidden behind something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't that the truth. If you want to make it easy, you could put outlets higher on the wall, but I suppose that doesn't look very good.

If anyone wants to test this new plug, I'll help. I'll use and abuse it for awhile. The usual stuff. Unplug it a few times by pulling on the cord. Walk on it, etc. Then you can plug it in and stick your finger in the hole. If you light up, I guess that proves it is still working, and you won't even need a lamp. As long as you don't mind keeping your finger in the hole.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be great to get an ammeter jaw through to measure the power usage of whatever device is plugged into it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Otherwise it looks like it sticks out too far. Most of my plugs that are behind something are mashed up against it, hopefully not too tightly. I have only been buying the kind that lay flat recently. They are very nice.

eluminator, I do exactly the same thing. most of the replacement plugs around here are really extension cords with the end cut off. Molded plug is much better than the screw on type you might get at the hardware store. regular extension cords are cheap too!

I'll bet you could wrap a few turns of wire through that hole and power an LEd though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic

For a plug that's not intended to be low-profile, it looks allright - the design encourages casual users to pull it out of a socket with a finger through the hole rather than yanking on the cord.

I doubt the design concept would work very well with a grounded plug.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Actually folks, the PROPER 15A or 20A screw on plug, when put on correctly, is ugly but works very well.

Those lay flat plugs are NICE for home use however!

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Actually folks, the PROPER 15A or 20A screw on plug, when put on correctly, is ugly but works very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you've had the experiences I've had with the moulded ones, where it overheats & melts due to inferior internal connection, or a prong pulls out & stays in the outlet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of my problems is that I have a huge number of extension cords scattered around the house either in use or stored away. Some are probably so old and worn out that they are not as safe as they should be. I have bought a couple of batches of new cords over the past couple of years, but I really need to get organized and make sure I have thrown out all of the worn ones.

Glenn

Enlightened

Re MacGyver:
"Sounds like you've had the experiences I've had with the moulded ones, where it overheats & melts due to inferior internal connection, or a prong pulls out & stays in the outlet."

I had just this problem with the plug on an electric heater.
I replaced it with a heavy duty screw on plug and it did not even get warm.

Glenn

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I work on Pressure Washers.

Anything from 110V 15A up to 440V 50A.

A 110V Washer, with a Heater, will pull 20A easy (through a 15A plug). A simple molded plug won't take it!

And buying screw on plugs is one thing I will NOT scrimp on! I get the good stuff!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Well I immediately thought about the idea of being able to measure the current as well but the clamp on ammeters require a much larger opening. I agree with much of what's been said but *I* think the best plugs are those that you mount yourself but they are not cheap and the well designed ones (often used in marine or hospital environments) can be oriented so that the exit wire come out parallel to the wall and at various compass or clock points relative to the three prongs. You can even orient the two flat blades vertical or horizontal. Similar to the example below:

8295t.jpg