Cell phone problem -- buttons not working

avusblue

Enlightened
Hey gang, I have a garden variety Nokia cell phone (model 3588i if it matters):

NOKIA%203588i.jpg

that got wet while I was caught in a heavy rain storm riding my bike over the weekend. Now the "3" and "6" buttons don't work when pressed. I opened it up and dried it out as best I could, blew compressed air in there, and set it on a warm heat register to try to dry it out completely, and three days later, still no dice. Any suggestions how I can "wake up" those two bad keys? Otherwise this phone is now basically useless to me. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,

Dave

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to go to the store where you got it and see if they have some replacement parts.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that means you need a new phone unless you only like people without 3s and 6s in their phone numbers. Otherwise you can always get connected through 411.

That was the failure mode for 2 of my cell phones and 1 home phone.

JOshooter

Enlightened
Try taking the front cover off and remove the rubber number panel. Take an eraser from a #2 pencil and erase the 3 and 6 contacts on both the rubber panel and the phone.

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JOshooter said:
Try taking the front cover off and remove the rubber number panel. Take an eraser from a #2 pencil and erase the 3 and 6 contacts on both the rubber panel and the phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

JOshooter -- great idea -- thanks!. I did this and . . . it worked! The hardest part was finding a tool to open the teeny-tiny Torx screws in order to disassemble the keypad assembly. Once I did that, I could right away see that dried crud was contaminating the contacts for the 3 and 6 keys. I cleaned 'em all up and the phone now works fine again.

Cheers to CPF for collectively solving almost any problem we can pose!

Dave