Tri Star Phazer vs. Hyper Lux V

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for an LED light that will reach out and illuminate things, and trying to keep it in the $100-$125 range. Any thoughts on these two lights from the collective? I assume that the Tri Star Phazer has the furthest throw, at the tradeoff in size and battery type (and price)? I've looked at the reviews from Craig and Quickbeam, but neither has reviewed both. Any other suggestions are welcome also!

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TSP is brighter than a Surefire L6 for half the price. The C batteries are cheaper and last longer too. The SureFire is smaller, fits in pocket. Both are excellent quality. I don't own a Hyper Lux V but may soon. Looks cool too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

TSP is drifting tword being my favorite.

Does anyone have a valid link to the Hyper Lux V (Like Vendor/ supplier?)

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

coachbigdog

Enlightened
I thought I read that the TSP was more of a flood light?Am I wrong? I remember some one selling there's on BST saying that it was very bright,but had less throw than they expected.Please correct if I'm wrong.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would tend to call it more of a spot than a flood....but it definitely is a wide spot. It depends where you draw the line. There is no right answer here.

neo_xeno

Newly Enlightened
i would think the hyper lux has farther throw cuz of the reflector? the phazer really is a floodlight though, but it has an adjustable head to tighten the spot.

L

LITEmania

One of my customer get 400 miter's throw using two of Lux-III T-rank with mirror lens 2 degree.
Goods_detail_VTOL-42M1_6~_VTOL-42m1-spec-4.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the big improvement Wayne made. The spring mechinism alows the head to focus. LED's so far are not "Spotlights" but the TSP is right there with the SF L6. The batteries last very well too. I see where some of the parts and pieces come from now. I bet three of those assemblies (9 LED) mounted in one of those 6 volt Vortec lanterns might be cool.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif
http://www.vehicletech.co.kr/ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Kiu

Enlightened
Fitz,

I dont own a Hyper Lux V.
But I can tell you the TSP is much brighter than my L4.
My TSP get max. 4010 lux. & throw qutie well.
The weakness of TSP may be too hot and have a short runtime.
My TSP already drop to 1500lux after 40 mins with 3500mAh Nimh.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like everybody is happy with the TSP, so that's good to hear. I'd still like to get some feedback on the Hyper Lux V. I can't believe nobody has both!

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are out of them or I would get one. I have a feeling though the Hyper Lux V may not be any better than the Nuwai 5 watt. Like to see beamshots against Surefire and Nuwai.
The Surefire L6 blows away the Nuwai anhd Streamlight TL3-LED so any thing is possible. Hyper Lux Vs L6 will be a good showdown/shoot out!!! Lets see it happen!!!

My Lights

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links, akula- I didn't see those.
The Hyper Lux V is rated at 120+ lumens, and the TSP is rated at 216 lumens, but there seems to be some discrepency on which one has the tighter beam/farthest throw. Since I have lights with good throw and useable sidespill, (SF E2D w/PR-917, SF 9N) This would be used for directing a tight beam a long way. I hope someone has seen both at work!

Luciferase

Newly Enlightened
Flip a coin.

More reasonably, think about how you want to deal with batteries: C (large, cheap, longer runtime, readily available) vs 123 (small, relatively expensive and hard to get, shorter runtime, but has benefits of lithium chemistry).

I have a Hyper-Lux V and an original model Tri-Star 3x3 modded to run on 4 C batteries, which should be roughly comparable to the Tri-Star Phazer. Here are some thoughts:

Yes, the Tri-Star definitely puts out more photons, but it doesn't seem twice as bright.

Build quality of TS is good; build quality of HLV is great.

HLV is pocketable (in a coat pocket or cargo pocket); TS isn't.

TS should have longer runtime, though I forget what they're each rated for. I haven't tested runtime myself.

TS has a bright white beam with bluish tinge; HLV has a creamy white beam.

TS has a larger and brighter hotspot.

HLV has a much better corona. It's smaller than the spill light from the TS, but it's brighter and therefore more useful.

TS throws better than the HLV, but not hugely so.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
warren said:
One of my customer get 400 miter's throw using two of Lux-III T-rank with mirror lens 2 degree.
Goods_detail_VTOL-42M1_6~_VTOL-42m1-spec-4.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

400 meters with a pair of LUX III? How are they mounted? It sounds great but I'd love some details.

Daniel

Luciferase

Newly Enlightened
To add on to my previous comments: If, for example, you had asked about the Hyper-Lux V vs. the FT-3c, I'd recommend the HLV in a heartbeat. But the Tri-Star is brighter and has better build quality than the FT-3c, so it's a much closer decision.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I expect my Tri Star Phaser any day, so I'll let you know the goodies.

Hope I get a REALLY bright one.